Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New cyclist counter in Dublin city.

• 26-08-2011 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Travelling into work this morning I noticed a new instalment along the canal inbound 200 meters before portobello bridge.
    It has a daily and annual counter displayed.
    It was installed a few months ago but was covered up with plastic which has now been removed revealing itself.
    Are these on all the main routes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Pretty sure there has been one on the N11 before the UCD flyover for some time now:

photo1.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Good post OP was actually meaning to post on this.

How do they actually count the cyclists? Is there a sensor in the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

That's the one DV.
    It hasn't been swiched on yet.
    What's the main purpose o these apart from knowing how many people cycle passed it and Reminding the bike shop owners that the BTW scheme made them rich :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

What happens if you just keep cycling around it in a circle, does the tally just keep going up for cyclists that day?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

I had just assumed these were only counting the Dublin City Bike usage :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/bicycle-counter-costing-20k-unable-to-give-proper-tally-of-passing-cyclists-147840.html
    The displays in the unit show how many cyclists pass each day and the total so far for the year. But the council admitted this type of counter is only able to record bicycles on the cycle track and is unable to count those who legally use the bus lane.

"In the case of the bicycle counter on the N11 near UCD, the National Transport Authority provided grant funding for its installation as it provides both a means to collect data on cycling numbers and as an advertisement for the promotion of cycling," said Conor Geraghty, assistant engineer with Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.

Mr Geraghty explained: "The counter operates using an electromagnetic loop detector system.

"When the bike passes over the loop, it detects and counts the cyclist — therefore if the counter was set up in the bus lane it would detect buses and taxis, providing inaccurate results."

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/bicycle-counter-costing-20k-unable-to-give-proper-tally-of-passing-cyclists-147840.html#ixzz1W8TYRPyO

I like this bit:
    Aherne said that, as well as counting the numbers of cyclists, the display unit promotes cycling and its importance to other road users and encourages cyclists as they go past.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/bicycle-counter-costing-20k-unable-to-give-proper-tally-of-passing-cyclists-147840.html#ixzz1W8Tmz0E0

They really should have a proper encouragement ticker filled with stock phrases when you pass:

"Go Baby!"

"Nice legs"

"Those intervals are really paying off"

"Only 30 seconds to the Fred in front, close that gap!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭rflynnr

The piece of information I find really intriguing in this is the reference to the use of magnetic loop induction system to trigger the counter. If it can be used for this, why can't the ones that trigger traffic lights also be made that sensitive, instead of leaving you stuck at red lights until a car comes along?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

rflynnr wrote: »
    The piece of information I find really intriguing in this is the reference to the use of magnetic loop induction system to trigger the counter. If it can be used for this, why can't the ones that trigger traffic lights also be made that sensitive, instead of leaving you stuck at red lights until a car comes along?

when i was at college 20 odd years ago all the cycle paths had bike specific traffic lights with sensors on major junctions so yes it can be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

rflynnr wrote: »
    I don't know specifically how the logic behind induction loops works, but it would seem to me that the newer loops they're putting in are smaller, probably about the same size as a piece of A3 paper, and have a hexagonal shape (or some -agonal). These are much more sensitive than the huge rectangular ones they used to put in and appear to be triggered fine by bikes and motorbikes.

Edit: Actually, just like the ones in this image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8c/Inductance_detectors.jpg/220px-Inductance_detectors.jpg

Induction loops are designed to be somewhat size-sensitive, so a car-sized loop will not pick up bikes and a bus-sized loop will not pick up anything smaller. There's a bus loop at the top of the templeogue bridge. The problem has been that most of the older loops were designed specifically to only register cars and nothing smaller, whereas the newer ones are being installed correctly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

A good deal of the cycling traffic along this section of the canal uses the quiet street on other side of the canal. Part of it is one-way, but many use it both ways -- it's safe to do so and is a good contender for both ways without markings.
    Are these on all the main routes?

From the article quoted above:

The National Transport Authority (NTA), which funded the counter, says it wants to roll out a trial of bicycle counters in Dublin.

"The NTA has requested both Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown and Dublin City Council to trial cycle counters — we will analyse their performance and outputs, and propose an overall cycle counting scheme in due course," said Michael Aherne at the National Transport Authority.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/bicycle-counter-costing-20k-unable-to-give-proper-tally-of-passing-cyclists-147840.html#ixzz1W8pHy3Vd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

how do those loops work for carbon bikes and/or carbon wheels? Is that why it's called the stealth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I would love it, just love it, if that sign counted "Freds" and "Euros". :pac:

Advertisement