Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths outside of school

• 26-08-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Just looking for some advice. I failed maths in the LC, and have decided to repeat outside of school. I was thinking of maybe just getting grinds a few times a week. Does anyone know of any distance learning courses online or anything like that? What would be the best way to go about this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Night classes would probably be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Eircom study hub saved my life.. they have some great classes on there. If you're with eircom its definitely worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

Bear in mind that the course has been reformed with an emphasis on understanding, so you will definitely need a teacher in some capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Eircom studyhub and the accompanying live grinds appear very popular indeed, also many VECs run nightclasses, as do private schools. You're not alone in this so I'd imagine many others looking for classes. I know many local schools here running them in maths and other subjects where people may not have passed or received required grades. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Any other tips anyone? Need to get something sorted soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭DufferO8

Where do you apply to resit maths?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

spurious wrote: »

Do you know when it will reopen for 2012?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

There's a great book that guides you through worked examples step by step. Don't be put off by the title, the first half of the book deals with leaving cert level maths, after that it goes into more complicated maths.

The way the book is layed out it is ideal for somebody working without a teacher.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/1403942463/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I'm not up to date on the syllabus, so might be worth flicking through a copy to confirm it covers a good chunk of the syllabus before buying (it did 10+ years ago).

DufferO8 wrote: »
    Do you know when it will reopen for 2012?

Usually around Christmas and the deadline will be towards the end of January 2012. There is an option for late applications for a short time after that, with an extra fee.

• Advertisement

does anyone know of any night classes around Dublin

DufferO8 wrote: »
    does anyone know of any night classes around Dublin

Plunket College (CDVEC) in Whitehall has Higher and Ordinary Level night classes in Maths. (.pdf file)

Rathmines College (CDVEC) has an Ordinary Level Maths night course.

Crumlin College (CDVEC) has an OL night class.

There are others of course, but they are a few I know.

Advertisement