Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shore diving in cork

• 26-08-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Where would thebest shore diving be in cork, down there with work tomorrow and I am going to bring my gear, where would be the best spot for a shore dive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

Good shore dives around cork are pretty limited, one decent one is Roberts Cove which is about 15 minutes from Carragaline.

When you get to Roberts Cove you can enter the bay from the beach if the tide is high.
    If it is low tide go through the village and look for a gravel lane on the left which opens out into a big field overlooking the bay.
    The best diving is on the eastern side of the bay, heading out to sea the rocks should be on your left. Keep the rocks on your right on the way back. Depth is 10-12m max.
    I tried to add a link but it didnt work, try these co-ordinates in google maps.
    51.744463,-8.31296

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

denismc wrote: »
    Good shore dives around cork are pretty limited, one decent one is Roberts Cove which is about 15 minutes from Carragaline.

When you get to Roberts Cove you can enter the bay from the beach if the tide is high.
    If it is low tide go through the village and look for a gravel lane on the left which opens out into a big field overlooking the bay.
    The best diving is on the eastern side of the bay, heading out to sea the rocks should be on your left. Keep the rocks on your right on the way back. Depth is 10-12m max.
    I tried to add a link but it didnt work, try these co-ordinates in google maps.
    51.744463,-8.31296

Great, so I can park up in the pubs car park and head out from there, so I would be heading out towards sea yes. Is there any worries about currents in this area??? How far should I head out or should I saty beside the rocks??? Is there much to be seen in comparison to the east coast???

It will be bang on high tide when I get there, about 3 or 4. So I will be heading in bfrom the beach,I did the google streetview form the pub and I am presuming the beach is on frount of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

So yes if it is high tide you can enter from the beach just before the bar, the entry point will become obvious when you get there.
    As the beach is very shallow you are probably better off snorkelling out 50-100m. Drop down by the rocks on the eastern side of the bay and keep these on your left, very straightforward.
    If you do this you will end up in a cave, surface in there and have a look around. When you come out of the cave keep left again and follow the rocks around, this is the best part of the dive, lots of anenomes, crabs, conger etc.
    There are no currents but if the wind is from the south you will have a little surge and the viz will be bad.
    Max depth will be 12m.
    Keep close to the rocks at all times otherwise you will just be diving on sand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

I would also highly recommend Nohoval Cove. Its a bit harder to find than Robert's Cove but its a great dive if the vis is there. Much like Roberts Cove i'd recommend going out on the left hand side of the cove, there are lots of gullies etc around the stack, you often see some spider crab etc too. Heres a map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=carrigaline+ireland&hl=en&ll=51.713712,-8.385116&spn=0.001735,0.004823&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.315864,79.013672&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=18

Advertisement