Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rovers Away

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Davey_spurs

mushykeogh wrote: »
    You are sounding a bit over confident, considering Redknapp will be playing a reserve strength team finishing 3rd is a real possibility...As a Rovers and Spurs fan I'm delighted we got the ok for Tallaght doubt any barstoolers will get tickets which is a good thing...

Ah your first post on boards, welcome.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

KingdomYid wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the Spurs loyalty scheme, I think its great. In fact because of the scheme i got a ticket to Wembley for the cup semi final two seasons ago. It is the Rovers fans who came on here attacking our forum, with an agenda that has nothing to do with the match but an agenda against irish people who follow Premier League teams. I am tired of this argument at this stage tbh, enjoy your night and watch football how it should be played. COYS

Spot on.
    Ignore them. Half of them are wind-up merchants, and the other half are just looking for an argument. Let them enjoy their moment in the spotlight at there home in the councils stadium..

Anyway, enough bitterness in the thread, keep it to the football ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Spot on.
    Ignore them. Half of them are wind-up merchants, and the other half are just looking for an argument. Let them enjoy their moment in the spotlight at there home in the councils stadium..

Fair enough mate, will ignore. Lets get on with the football :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Average crowds so far this season at their council owned ground is 4264, so there will be a lot of "home" barstoolers in the ground. You should see the amount of hate and spite being directed towards this forum over at the srfc ultras"!!! forum.

Despite all that, hope its a great night out and we see plenty of goals

You are sounding a bit over confident, considering Redknapp will be playing a reserve strength team finishing 3rd is a real possibility...As a Rovers and Spurs fan I'm delighted we got the ok for Tallaght doubt any barstoolers will get tickets which is a good thing...

Welcome mate, who you shouting for then? Also one quick question. You say you are a Spurs fan, do you travel over to the lane?
    Shouting for Rovers mate I'm a season ticket holder and member, been a Spurs fan since 1981 and still go to the odd Spurs game at the lane...anyway you should all give your local club a chance what ever level it is...the atmosphere in Tallaght is far better than the lane these days...watching Rovers progress over the last few years has been the best thing I've ever been part of football wise....

• Advertisement

Shouting for Rovers mate I'm a season ticket holder and member, been a Spurs fan since 1981 and still go to the odd Spurs game at the lane...anyway you should all give your local club a chance what ever level it is...the atmosphere in Tallaght is far better than the lane these days...watching Rovers progress over the last few years has been the best thing I've ever been part of football wise....

Hope you enjoy the game mate, but without trying to start the argument again are you not a "barstooler" so according to your logic? since you claim to be a Spurs fan aswell. Anyway I am saying no more until the game actually comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

indiewindy wrote: »
    You should see the amount of hate and spite being directed towards this forum over at the srfc ultras"!!! forum.

Not sure why ! No hate from this side.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dublintim

Average crowds so far this season at their council owned ground is 4264, so there will be a lot of "home" barstoolers in the ground. You should see the amount of hate and spite being directed towards this forum over at the srfc ultras"!!! forum.

Despite all that, hope its a great night out and we see plenty of goals

Rather have ours in the ground than your lot. The hate and spite on our forum isnt directed at REAL Spurs fans who actually attend games at WHL. Its directed at "fans" from this city who claim to support english clubs despite only attanding one or two games a year or watching them on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

Hope you enjoy the game mate, but without trying to start the argument again are you not a "barstooler" so according to your logic? since you claim to be a Spurs fan aswell. Anyway I am saying no more until the game actually comes around.

The cheek of you asking a Rovers/Spurs fan if he falls in to the barstooler debate on a forum like boards.ie. Jesus Wept

Hope you enjoy the game mate, but without trying to start the argument again are you not a "barstooler" so according to your logic? since you claim to rbe a Spurs fan aswell. Anyway I am saying no more until the game actually comes around.
    Dunno, would I be a barstooler? Whatever you think, I was just saying the game should be in Tallaght and Rovers should look after their season ticket holders, fans and the clubs interests 1st which is whats happening...I also dont blame Irish fans for being barstoolers but reckon you should all get behind your local teams....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

honestly never heard the term "barstooler" before this thread

I like it :D

Dunno, would I be a barstooler? Whatever you think, I was just saying the game should be in Tallaght and Rovers should look after their season ticket holders, fans and the clubs interests 1st which is whats happening...I also dont blame Irish fans for being barstoolers but reckon you should all get behind your local teams....

I too think its great that Tallaght has been chosen. Should make for a cracking atmosphere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Guyett

how many of these 'real fans'actually live within spitting distance of shamrock rovers stadium? surely if you are a real shamrock rovers fan you'd be supporting your actual local team.
    Sure I'm from dublin and I could say they're my local team but then I'd be lying as my local team is Malahide UTD.
    I've supported Spurs since I was 8 and I can assure you 'real fans' that that isn't gloryhunting, if I was I'd have just supported Man utd or Liverpool. I don't go to games as I am far too poor to go to see them play... does that make me a bad fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Well, may the irish team win. :) Personally delighted. Means so much for the whole area and we can really give Kazan and PAOK a good game now. Atmosphere will be the usual Rovers roar now that we're at home. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 PerryRoko

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Spot on.

Hang on a second. I don't know too much about UK football, but aren't Spurs, your club, in a legal battle to move in to a council built stadium?

Guyett wrote: »
    how many of these 'real fans'actually live within spitting distance of shamrock rovers stadium? surely if you are a real shamrock rovers fan you'd be supporting your actual local team.
    Sure I'm from dublin and I could say they're my local team but then I'd be lying as my local team is Malahide UTD.
    I've supported Spurs since I was 8 and I can assure you 'real fans' that that isn't gloryhunting, if I was I'd have just supported Man utd or Liverpool. I don't go to games as I am far too poor to go to see them play... does that make me a bad fan?
    Not in the view of I'm sure the real football fans on this forum, maybe not the folk who seem to relish coming on here to attack people who dare support spurs, would you see such venom directed at irish people who support celtic:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I blame Top of the Pops for all the Irish barstoolers that discovered Spurs in the early 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 PerryRoko

would you see such venom directed at irish people who support celtic:D

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

ziedth wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding overconfident I'd say spurs will have it well and truly sown up with Rovers fighting for third at best. In my honest opinion we'll play a second string team, I could even see Rovers taking something from the home game.

second string team or not i really cant see them getting anything from us

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

I hear Tallaght has been confirmed, fair enough.
    Now with the politics out of the way, what about the football ?

I'm going for a 5 nil away win similar to the football lesson we dished out to Hearts.

Should be great craic around town on the day with a few hundred of my North London brothers.

Come on You Spurs

you're an expat living in Dublin right ? please tell me you're an expat living in Dublin :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭PhosphoricAcid

This forum should be retitled "Barstooling", barstoolers heaven here, supporting the country that oppressed against us for hundreds of years against a team from your own country, sad.

Support your local team, turn off the BBC.

FTA

This forum should be retitled "Barstooling", barstoolers heaven here, supporting the country that oppressed against us for hundreds of years against a team from your own country, sad.

Support your local team, turn off the BBC.

FTA

Tiocfaidh ár lá :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Carlito.

indough wrote: »
    second string team or not i really cant see them getting anything from us

Wow, assuming your a Spurs "fan", thats shameful ! Your Irish, support your local team ffs, really hope you don't get a ticket and have to settle for a barstool...but that wouldn't be anything new to you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Carlito. wrote: »
    Wow, assuming your a Spurs "fan", thats shameful ! Your Irish, support your local team ffs, really hope you don't get a ticket and have to settle for a barstool...but that wouldn't be anything new to you ;)

The problem is there is levels of Fan-ism.

And frankly everyone regardless has an opinion on the matter. Its hard to go to league of ireland games, if you go to one or two big games. Your not a real fan, if you go to the odd few games your half interested and not hard core enough.

If you watch EPL and go to the odd game your a barstooling disgrace according you your irish brethren whom lets face might have secondary teams there also.

Its all about how 'hard core' you are. and the more 'hard core' you are the better you are than the next guy and you have free reign to slag the s&*t out of any other tom dick and harry who isnt as hard core as you.

Its ridiculous rather than welcoming people into stadiums to support their local side they can get completely turned off by the sh&t£ talk that goes on. Seats on bums people and cash in the Rovers coffers is what it should be about.

Can i claim to be an rovers fanatics ? no. Ive been to about 6-7 games this year and only recently moved back to Tallaght, however i enjoy popping over to catch a monday night game or popping in on a friday. But maybe im not too poxy hardcore enough for some. I dont care I pay entry and i enjoy the games its a great atmosphere and the more the merrier.

And to further the crazyness i watch dublin footballers and hurlers play too. Christ ive even been to rugby games. I guess you could call me interested in sports......

Peace.

Carlito. wrote: »

who says i'm irish? i am actually from london if you absolutely must know my personal details. i have attended cork city games too so by your own logic i am at the very least twice the football "fan" you are. couldn't really call myself a fan of any side over here though because the standard is too poor, but it can be okay for a bit of entertainment if there's absolutely nothing else on the menu.

listermint wrote: »

Its all about how 'hard core' you are. and the more 'hard core' you are the better you are than the next guy and you have free reign to slag the s&*t out of any other tom dick and harry who isnt as hard core as you.

Sad isn't it

A rep from Rovers was just on rte radio one saying he was "hopeful" of getting Tallaght, but Aviva if not. TV3 have a crew out in Tallaght so tune into their sports news at around 5.50pm for an update. considering that their first game is next Thursday they really need to get this sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

listermint wrote: »
    The problem is there is levels of Fan-ism.
    No there isnt. You are either a football fan or you arent. People who go to football games, beit here or in London, are football fans. People who sit at home or in their local watching football on television, shouting at a team on a screen to which they have no connection, never going to see them, or going to see them once every three years on a ****ing stag weekend, are not football fans.

There are no "levels" and to suggest that people take the piss out of you in Tallaght stadium for not being "hardcore enough" is an outright lie.

CiaranC wrote: »
    No there isnt. You are either a football fan or you arent. People who go to football games, beit here or in London, are football fans. People who sit at home or in their local watching football on television, shouting at a team on a screen to which they have no connection, never going to see them, or going to see them once every three years on a ****ing stag weekend, are not football fans.

There are no "levels" and to suggest that people take the piss out of you in Tallaght stadium for not being "hardcore enough" is an outright lie.

thanks for your input dr. johnson

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »

Okay so we have 2 ends of your "fan" scale established now.

Bottom end = Never going or going once every 3 years on a fcuking stag weekend :D

Top End = Going evey week

What is the level of attendence that qualifies a person as a proper football fan ? How many games is your cut off point ?

Genuinely interested...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement