Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivery Charges Excessive?

Options
  • 26-08-2011 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I have an order worth €575 with a company in Belgium but delivery charges are €200 with UPS. The weight of the packages combined are 45Kgs. With vat and delivery charges my margin is significantly reduced. Any suggestions of a more economical Transport solution. They supplier agrees that the charges are excessive and is trying other couriers.

As a comparison I recently had an order worth €700 and weighing 20kgs delivered by DHL from Germany arranged by the supplier for €20.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Nutri Eire wrote: »
    I have an order worth €575 with a company in Belgium but delivery charges are €200 with UPS. The weight of the packages combined are 45Kgs. With vat and delivery charges my margin is significantly reduced. Any suggestions of a more economical Transport solution. They supplier agrees that the charges are excessive and is trying other couriers.

As a comparison I recently had an order worth €700 and weighing 20kgs delivered by DHL from Germany arranged by the supplier for €20.

A quick sample quote from Fed Ex is

FedEx International Economy® 139.36

Thats based on 3 x 15kg and I also tried it for 1 x 45kg.... IT may be worth shopping around and getting quotes from TNT and DHL. If you open an account with them you can get them to pick it up for you and you pay them directly, avoids your supplier the hassle of using a new courier.

It also may be possible for your supplier to send it as two or three separate packages which in total may still cost less. E.g. USPS wont allow packages over 30kg (but would allow 2 x 16kg, etc), so if they were split you may be able to get a rate similar to the DHL one you got from Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PBSDUBLIN

Can you tell me where in Belgium the company is based?

I have some very good transport connections and might be able to help you get your order to Dublin for €60-€70.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hello Nutri Eire,

if you can live with a 72/96 hour transit time I would recommend GLS or DPD. I expect that especially GLS would come close to the € 20.00 your German supplier arranged for you.

PM me if you need more details

Regards,
    Rudolf289

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nutri Eire

PBSDUBLIN -The location is Diepenbeek, Belgium.

RUDOLF289 - I am due to get a breakdown of the exact number of boxes (sizes) and weight. I am not too fussed about delivery time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

UPS / Fedex / DHL are all express courier companies. If you need something delivered in ahurry and want near 100% certainty of delivery in 24 hours, then they are great But they charge for the service.

Normal everyday parcel shipping around europe and you need a "Parcel delivery service"

As Rudolf says, DPD / GLS are the 2 main operators. They use road & sea network and take 3-4 days from Europe and 2 days from UK.

€20 / parcel up to 30kg is about mid rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PBSDUBLIN

PBSDUBLIN -The location is Diepenbeek, Belgium.

RUDOLF289 - I am due to get a breakdown of the exact number of boxes (sizes) and weight. I am not too fussed about delivery time.

If your not in a rush I would definetly go with RUDOLF289's suggestion. Its fantastic value.

Thanks guys for the help.

The supplier has not gotten back to me with consignment details so I just cancelled the order.

Has anyone used palletways to brings goods in from Europe?

I got a reply after cancelling the order with a reply of €82 from DPD down from €200 quoted by them with UPS.

I got her to give me the number of boxes/dimentions and weight.

7 boxes 22cm x 47cm x 31cm – total weight 65kg

I'm not an expert in these matters but should they pack the stuff into bigger boxes, surely this is the reason why the delivery charge was €200 initially. The more boxes means more handling by the courier company????

Any insight much appreciated.

That's about right. - You could spend hours checking other places and save €10, but what price your time?

65kg is a heavy weight - packing into fewer boxes probably wouldn't make a huge difference.

I'd be a fairly large dpd customer and my quote for that size shipment is about €65 + vat. So a one off shipment at €82 is quite a good price.

maxer68 wrote: »
    That's about right. - You could spend hours checking other places and save €10, but what price your time?

65kg is a heavy weight - packing into fewer boxes probably wouldn't make a huge difference.

I'd be a fairly large dpd customer and my quote for that size shipment is about €65 + vat. So a one off shipment at €82 is quite a good price.

I have queried the supplier on the matter above and asked if my order was 10 times larger would they be sending me 70 boxes :eek:

I Received 2 boxes sized 60 x 60 x 45 (25kgs each) from Germany for a delivery charge of €20 via DHL europacket. The supplier obviously has a big account.

• Advertisement

I have queried the supplier on the matter above and asked if my order was 10 times larger would they be sending me 70 boxes :eek:

I Received 2 boxes sized 60 x 60 x 45 (25kgs each) from Germany for a delivery charge of €20 via DHL europacket. The supplier obviously has a big account.

Once the shipment goes over 100kg, it probably better value on a pallet. Near Europe to Ireland is circa €100 - €130 for a pallet.

The German DHL delivery was probably by road and similar to the DPD service. The supplier also may have subsidised the delivery cost. (I charge £3.95 (€4.55) for box to UK, but it costs me €7.45)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I use DPD or GLS for deliveries to Finland. Highly recommend either one.

Advertisement