Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby with Colostomy bag

Options
  • 26-08-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Guys

We have a 3 wk old daughter who has a colostomy bag because of an Imperforate Anus .

I am not looking for medical advice ( I would speak to PHN/hospital if I needed that ) , but just looking for words from anyone else who may have experienced this . How did you get on changing the bag , did you find that issues / tips that are worth passing on ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Whispers

Hi David,

Know this is an old thread but came across it while Googling the condition. My little fella (now 15 months) was born with the same condition. The miracle workers at Temple Street have 'fixed' the problem, so now all good, until potty training. Just wondering how your little one is getting on, any problems since.

For anyone else reading this, here's a few tips to help you get through what can be a difficult time:

1) Change the bag every day. We started by trying to get as long as possible out of the bag, but invariably it would leak at the most inopportune time, causing great anxiety to himself.

2) Change the bag after a feed, doing it when they're hungry just causes more distress.

3) Always have a few bags at the ready with the hole that fits over the stoma already cut out, for emergencies.

4) At night time pierce a little hole at the top of the bag, highest part up (we used a toothpick) and tape some cotton wool over it. We found that during the night the wind in the bag made it uncomfortable for our son to sleep, as the bag would fill up with air. Piercing the hole allows the air out and good night sleeps for all!

4) Make sure you get the bags on prescription even though they're not drugs. It means the qualify for the drug discount scheme, as these bags are damn expensive.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Our little one is now post closure. Has your little one got ia too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Whispers

Stoma was reversed in September last year and he's doing fine, thankfully. Just have to wait now to the potty training to see if the control is there. Is your little one at this stage, if so, how's it going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Whispers wrote: »
    Stoma was reversed in September last year and he's doing fine, thankfully. Just have to wait now to the potty training to see if the control is there. Is your little one at this stage, if so, how's it going?

Hi

I hope you don't mind , sending you a PM

David

Advertisement