Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potty Training a Puppy

Options
  • 26-08-2011 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I need help potty training a 10 week old puppy!!! He'll will go outside and then come inside and go to the loo..... It can be hard not to scold him but is there any tips anyone has? They would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Firstly your pup does not have control of its bladder so when it needs to go it just will, regardless of it being inside or outside.

You have to teach the pup where you want it to go, so that means bringing the pup outside as often as possible, after every play session, meal, drink and sleep and as often as you can all other times.

Lots of reward and praise when it goes outside so it knows that outside is good and thats where you want it to go.

It takes months to toilet train a puppy so you need to be consistant and keep up a routine.

I highly suggest Crate training, it really speeds up the toilet training.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A small tip i find works well.

If the pup does go inside then make sure and clean the area extremely well. Not just mop it up, As you know they have a keener sense of smell and if an area is used and not cleaned well enough then they will simply use it again.

When i was house training my two i made sure and clean the floor, mat, bedding etc, thoroughly to the point that if i thought it was still dirty i would replace with fresh bedding, mats, etc.

Use this in conjunction with the methods above. I find bringing them out every 20 minutes or so helps. Then securing them in a pen or something similar at night. IOW do not give them the opportunity to mess the inside when you are there. In 5 years i've only had one incident of my two messing inside. They were left for longer than i thought i would be away. So not their fault.

Its alot of work, but thats why people say to be mindful and think things through before getting a pup. Too many people loose interest in keeping up the routine and this is when accidents happen.

Not preaching just saying.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Toilet training is a nightmare!! :eek:

I found the best thing with my fella was to leave the door open to the back garden all day(or whenever I was home) I tried the whole 10 minute thing but he wasnt getting it, and once the door was left open I found he went out whenever he wanted, had a play around the back by himself then done his business.

Every dog is different and some take to the 10 minute thing quicker than others, time and patience and more patience is what is needed!! As Andrea said already, after ever play, feed, sleep, or even lying down not asleep, if the puppy gets up its generally pee time. Also +1 on the crate trainging!!

What breed is he, put up some pics for us to see him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The easiest time to catch him is after a nap, as he wakes pick him up and go outside, wait for him to go and praise him.
    If he's playing and pauses or sniffs the floor, pick him up and bring outside, wait for him to go.
    After food or a drink, give it a few mins and out you go.
    This will involve a lot of waiting in the garden, but it works.
    Also crate training is a great help, there's lots of threads on here just use the search function.
    At 10 weeks you will need to get up in the night to let him out, for a few weeks yet, but its not for long.
    Crate is also useful for when you go out for an hour or two, keeps the pup safe and secure.
    One tip I got from the breeder was to say a word or phrase when the dog is peeing, eventually they learn it means to go, this is very handy for car trips etc, when you can let the dog out and get him to go on command.

Clean up any accidents with some biological washing powder in warm water, then rinse, it gets rid of the smell completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

+ 1 for all of the above.

We also found taking them to the same spot in the garden helps as its not just a case of outside and inside but in a particular spot. We have a gravel pen that our 2 use and find that when any of their doggy friends come they instinctively go in there as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Carol555

+1 from me too.
    At the beginning I had to bring my pup outside literally every hour (well maybe not at night) but after while you learn to recognise when the pup will go, this unique little sniffing, etc. The more effort you put initially into bringing the puppy outside, the quicker he/she will cop on. You don't have to wait ages outside. If the puppy doesn't go, bring him back and try again after short play, food or sleep. Or you can put him for a few minutes in a crate - I really recommend getting one or even a puppy pen. It made housebreaking of my puppy nice and easy even though I wasn't that mad on the idea initially.

Accidents will happen so no point getting upset about it.
    If the pup is in the middle, don't scold him, just say firmly 'no', and lift him out to finish in the right spot (lots of praise then). If you scold your puppy for soiling at home, he will only start hiding it from you. You will also realise, that the tiniest scent of wee can trigger your pup. It will work to your advantage in the garden but to your disadvantage at home. I found 'Get off' spray very good for getting rid of the unwanted smells from the floor. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 denverdaily

Ever thought of trying indoor potty pads like the pet loo? I know they sound crazy, but I was able to get my dog trained with one, and she hasn't had an accident since...

Advertisement