Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skerries Charity shop

Options
  • 26-08-2011 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

When I lived in London every high street had a few charity shops and in recent times I have noticed them popping up in towns in Ireland. Id imagines it is a sign of the hard times we find ourselves in. This charity shop is in Skerries (Not naming)
    But I had to laugh when I went into it with a friend the other day.
    See, I was under the belief that these shops were set up firstly so to create revenue for the charity, secondly helping people who aren’t flushed with money to afford second hand items that would normally be out of their price range when bought new. Moving stock fast and helping others!?
    On seeing a mirror (Normal medium sized mirror with a gold painted wooden frame) my friend said to me” how much do you think their asking for it?” (No prices on most of the items…..) I said maybe €20 to €30 at most! We asked the assistant, she immediately picked up her Iphone and asked G*****!?! “How much for the mirror with the gold frame darling?” and informed us they were looking for €130!!!!! :eek:
    These are items that the public have donated to the shop and their looking for €130 for a second hand mirror, which you could have picked up in most stores new for at least €50 less! On further inspection on the other items in the shop I was amazed at the prices they had set this stuff at. Some of it could be found in your bin…. Agreed some of it was in very good nick.
    Really these people need to understand why people donate and who their customer base is! If my friend had €130 to blow on a second hand mirror she wouldn’t of been there to start with. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Joe Duffy last month covered the same topic about various different charity shops around the country, callers were making the same points as you did, no pricing on objects, vastly over priced etc It seems to be an unregulated industry because it's all for a good cause run by volunteers so the authorities that regulate other retailers avoid them. Not that I have anything against them but if you want to sell something a basic in my book is to stick a price on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Sometimes , well ofton the price is removed by some customers.Or you dont even get a chance to put a price on it.I know Friends of Autism and ADHD try hard to price everything. I know they give the money back to the community and have pictures of the the groups recieveing cheques on display and also letters from members of the community that have benifited from the services supported by the shop..

I know they do try and balance value for money with respecting the wishes of the doner which is for the chairty to make as much funding from the donation.

I would hate to donate a valueable object only for it to be sold for peanuts.

I never ever ..ever ..ever leave bags of clothes outside my door , I always give everthing to the Friends shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Dropped into one of the Skerries charity shops recently. There are a few items of crockery and knickknacks in to the windows but the rest of the stuff is just railed jammed with clothes, and the smell!!

cbreeze, I understand, there is way to much stock on the shelf, you cant remove something from the rail .The smell, I cant get to be honest not from Friends anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Last time I brought up bags of stuff there, there was 2 African women outside asking me to give them the bags, not even knowing what was in it! I just explained they can buy them cheap and help the charity-point been I dont care how much they sell stuff once the charity gains. I'm certainly not donating so people can get stuff cheap.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    Last time I brought up bags of stuff there, there was 2 African women outside asking me to give them the bags, not even knowing what was in it! I just explained they can buy them cheap and help the charity-point been I dont care how much they sell stuff once the charity gains. I'm certainly not donating so people can get stuff cheap.

That's what I mean balancing value for money and responsible selling.the manager is fully aware as to why friends was opened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

cbreeze wrote: »
    Dropped into one of the Skerries charity shops recently. There are a few items of crockery and knickknacks in to the windows but the rest of the stuff is just railed jammed with clothes, and the smell!!

I think I was in that one the other day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Just shows you what you can find in an Irish Charity Shop

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056295710

Whats that saying.."one mans rubbish is another mans treasure".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

cathy01 wrote: »
    Whats that saying.."one mans rubbish is another mans treasure".

Very true - I love the charity shops!

• Advertisement
Advertisement