Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

professional photographer

• 26-08-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

Do pro photographers make much money from what they. Like can you make a good living out of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There is no set answer.

Some do, some don't. It depends on what they do, how they market themselves, etc.

There are some members here on boards that are full-time professional photographers. They work very hard to make a living from it.

I'm sure many wouldn't claim to make a good living from it, but they manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Very open ended question, but yes it's possible. Some earn low amounts, some earn huge amounts, as with most things. On average, commercial and wedding photographers probably earn the most but there are exceptions outside of that who will earn huge amounts in other types.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Never get into it to make money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

cena wrote: »
    Do pro photographers make much money from what they. Like can you make a good living out of it.

No you. Might be. Able if.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Never get into it to make money.

Huh? Is that not the only reason to become a Pro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

oshead wrote: »

I think he's referring to the fact that photography is an art form, and one that requires dedication beyond simply the desire to earn money. At least, thats how I feel about it anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

kfish2oo2 wrote: »
    I think he's referring to the fact that photography is an art form, and one that requires dedication beyond simply the desire to earn money. At least, thats how I feel about it anyway :rolleyes:

Which in itself is an idealistic statement.

I've yet to meet an artist of any discipline who doesnt dream of selling their work for large amounts of money....

Wether your photography is artistic, or commercial (Normally a "Pro" will do a mixture of both) you still need to pay the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

That's a narrow and very amateurish concept. One that I too held (in the beginning) regarding my own photography. Later the desire for food, a roof over my head and the need to put petrol in my car helped me change my POV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

There's a difference between making money and making a living I suppose. I honestly couldn't care less how much I was making.. as long as I could make a living.

I'd make a bet most photographers who go pro because they have been into photography most of their life and not just lost their job and decide to try it to make a quick euro, feel the same.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

For a professional's perspective on the business see this from Cork based photographer Roger Overall:

http://www.rogeroverall.net/blog/business/professional-photography-dead-part-1-setting-scene/

The bottom line is that trying to make a living from professional photography is extremely difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

That's a narrow and very amateurish concept. One that I too held (in the beginning) regarding my own photography. Later the desire for food, a roof over my head and the need to put petrol in my car helped me change my POV.

Its idealistic, maybe, but I don't think its narrow or amateurish. I never said you couldn't make money at it. Just that talent (through practice or whatever) and a real love for what you do is what it takes to make it beyond merely making ends meet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Its idealistic, maybe, but I don't think its narrow or amateurish. I never said you couldn't make money at it. Just that talent (through practice or whatever) and a real love for what you do is what it takes to make it beyond merely making ends meet.

Ah, not really. There are a lot of very mediocre pro photographers out there getting work because they're excellent at self promotion. Coca-cola's not the best cola on the market but it is the most successful. For an awful lot of professional contracts artistry's really not required. The bit in bold is called acquired skill. Which is useful.

Anyway...the OP's question is very vague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

And then theres good ol nepotism!

I always say that any opportunity is fair game. So if a brutal photographer can convince someone to pay them for their work, then its all well and good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Do you realise that your nickname means price or cost in Czech? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The pro's that I know of became pro's when their current non-photo job ended, they looked around, and saw that they could make money from their hobby. This is probably where most pro's started, I'd imagine, as opposed to someone looking for a job, becomes a camera gear junkie who thinks if they have the right lenses they'll make money.

IMO, the former already has the skills and the gear, the latter has the gear but no skills. So to answer the OPs question: if you are the latter, no it's not, but if you're the former, then maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Its depends how you market yourself!

Advertisement