Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A (possibly) unanswerable question about UL's Broadband service

• 26-08-2011 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

...specifically, I'm a long time P2P/fileshare/torrents user and a first time UL on campus resident.

In UL I've come up against a combination of an inability to do any type of P2P or torrent downloading and a complete lack of knowledge as to whether or not I can use something to try to get around that problem or if I just need to give up on the habit and accept that it isn't possible.

When I turned up I was given a broadband cable to plug into my laptop, so internet access thus comes from an old school plug and play. When I attempt to use UTorrent (for example) I have no problem downloading a torrent, but UTorrent then just sits there and tells me (1) DHT: waiting to log in and (2) when I run a test on the network, it tells me "port is not open (you are still able to download.)

Speed stays stoically at 0.0 kb/s with intermittent spikes up to 5.0 kb/s that then disappear within seconds.

Had a look at portforward.com and it reads like sanskrit to me. :s

Had a look at other trouble shooting sites and the general consensus seems to be 'avoid messing with university firewalls or die.'

So..do any other current/former UL attendees have any advice to offer me? I do apologise if this is too techy and weird - let me know if it should go somewhere else!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

No torrents, P2P or file sharing allowed on the campus WiFi/broadband connection, it is badly congested as it is without everyone using bandwidth to download movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

And also the majority of that traffic is from illegal torrents which would make UL liable for what's being downloaded on their network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rokkulus

Understood - better to avoid it altogether so. Thank you for the advice, I'll look into alternatives that don't affect the college network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Do you guys know if websites like Megaupload/Megavideo work on UL's network? If not on free, on Premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 delta_xray

yes they work, and rather well too with the likes of JDownloader. with megavideo though your "72 minutes" will always be up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Lots more streaming sites out there with no limits, watch-movies.ro or watch-series.eu have tonnes of links to anything you might want.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 caty360

Does anyone know if the website - let me watch this work on the ul network? it has various links for movies etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

caty360 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the website - let me watch this work on the ul network? it has various links for movies etc..

Some sites that work fine on the UL system:

www.firstrowsports.eu - The best way to watch soccer imho
    www.solarmovie.eu - Brilliant for movies, most films have several links available.

Megavideo and MegaUpload can be tricky, as all the computers have the same IP address, and therefore everyone is using he same connection, and megavideo only allow 72mins of free viewing a day.

As for the torrents, there is a way around it if you're lucky. There's a proxy server set up you can use in Utorrent that's meant to work, but I've given up hope of getting it working at this stage.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Some sites that work fine on the UL system:

www.firstrowsports.eu - The best way to watch soccer imho
    www.solarmovie.eu - Brilliant for movies, most films have several links available.

Megavideo and MegaUpload can be tricky, as all the computers have the same IP address, and therefore everyone is using he same connection, and megavideo only allow 72mins of free viewing a day.

As for the torrents, there is a way around it if you're lucky. There's a proxy server set up you can use in Utorrent that's meant to work, but I've given up hope of getting it working at this stage.

sound thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Moved into Plassey today, and haven't had any problems torrenting... it seems unusually slow for a 40mb (:eek:) connection, but that's about it...

• Advertisement

njd2010 wrote: »
    Moved into Plassey today, and haven't had any problems torrenting... it seems unusually slow for a 40mb (:eek:) connection, but that's about it...

it more than likely won't last, when I moved into Dromroe last year, I was able to torrent for about the first week, then they blocked it.

Never mind, maybe I can't. It's weird, I can torrent things I started at home. For instance a few weeks ago I got a torrent of a season of a TV show but skipped most of the episodes. I can download the rest of those episodes here, but if I try to download episodes from a new torrent it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

UL have one of the most open networks of all universities in Ireland.

Don't ruin it for everyone by torrenting :mad:

Use something like fileserve, filesonic, wupload, megaupload etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

ITD usually have the port for P2P blocked. As said above, UL's network is incredibly open compared to other third level institutions. The reason given for this is that they want to encourage research on a wide range of topics

Other colleges within the HEANET aren't as fortunate

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fishcatcher

Spotify seems to be blocked, which sucks since it is a legitimate service I am paying money for. I am getting this error https://www.spotify.com/uk/help/faq/error/error-101-126/.

Spotify should work worldwide without limits if you have the paid version:
    "With Spotify Premium and Spotify Unlimited you can connect with Spotify when you’re travelling. As long as you purchased Spotify from inside one of our launch countries, you have the perfect holiday companion."

Can anyone confirm, or is it just me?

Surprised that Steam isn't blocked. I'd feel guilty blasting away at Team Fortress 2 in the library though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Surprised that Steam isn't blocked. I'd feel guilty blasting away at Team Fortress 2 in the library though...
    Sssshhhh, we need COD for the rainy days :pac:

...of which there seem to be many in Limerick... :rolleyes:

Anyone know if there is actually rules against gaming in the library? I'm curious myself, this place is comfier than my apartment and has like 80mb broadband.. I'd imagine there is, otherwise I would have seen some people gaming by now.

Anyone know if there is actually rules against gaming in the library? I'm curious myself, this place is comfier than my apartment and has like 80mb broadband.. I'd imagine there is, otherwise I would have seen some people gaming by now.
    That's what I wanted to know too, would be really great but I'm too paranoid about peoplg seeing me there and giving out. Obviously I'd be quiet and wear earphones. Anyone out there know?

That's what I wanted to know too, would be really great but I'm too paranoid about peoplg seeing me there and giving out. Obviously I'd be quiet and wear earphones. Anyone out there know?

If they don't complain about Facebook, Boards or youtube I doubt they'll complain about other games. :pac:

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    If they don't complain about Facebook, Boards or youtube I doubt they'll complain about other games. :pac:

Not too sure about that. Might be worth a shot anyways... anyone up for a shnakey LAN party? :P

Not too sure about that. Might be worth a shot anyways... anyone up for a shnakey LAN party? :P

Us gamers work outside the laws of society, rebels to the core. :P :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I'm in the library now? We can do that?!?!?!?! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

does anyone do LAN parties anymore? I should join the games society I guess, but we could set one up?

I can't really drop my big ass PC off in the library cause it'd be quite confusing for the security.

besides, everyone knows gaming on a lappy is for noobs! :cool:

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    does anyone do LAN parties anymore? I should join the games society I guess, but we could set one up?

I can't really drop my big ass PC off in the library cause it'd be quite confusing for the security.

besides, everyone knows gaming on a lappy is for noobs! :cool:

LAN parties are far more fun than just playing online, and all the best LAN games (Counterstrike, Starcraft, Warcraft, Red Alert,Battlefield 1942 etc) are all old enough to easily play on laptops these days ;)

random question here - emm is anyone else having trouble with logging in on sulis even though , ive swiped my card and changed the password just yeresterday in the library.im mananing to get into the student portal with the"new" password yet i cant access sulis, ive stuff to print off asap so any help would be appreciated !!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

caty360 wrote: »
    random question here - emm is anyone else having trouble with logging in on sulis even though , ive swiped my card and changed the password just yeresterday in the library.im mananing to get into the student portal with the"new" password yet i cant access sulis, ive stuff to print off asap so any help would be appreciated !!

you just need to use your student number eg. 12345678 as the username not the full e-mail address eg 12345678@studentmail.ul.ie... hope this helps! :)

GV_NRG wrote: »
    you just need to use your student number eg. 12345678 as the username not the full e-mail address eg 12345678@studentmail.ul.ie... hope this helps! :)
    thank u , thank u , thank u !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    it worked !!! im so happy lol ! thanks again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭seanman is me

Maybe its just me , but it never seems to work in here.

Anyone else having problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Try the Spotify Web Player

It's currently in beta but works fine for me on campus. Haven't come across any ads yet either :P

Advertisement