Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB announce price increases

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056369430

Seems to me right now if things stay the same on October 1st Bordgais for electricity and Flogas for gas (although they've yet to announce potential increases I expect them too) will be the cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Seems to me right now if things stay the same on October 1st Bordgais for electricity and Flogas for gas (although they've yet to announce potential increases I expect them too) will be the cheapest
    Switching back to Bord Gáis from ESB on 01/October would save us around 75 cent a month on our electricity bills. Given the small savings, and the current uncertainty in the market, we might sit tight until our discount (14%) with ESB expires in March 2012. If we switched now and Bord Gáis subsequently raised their prices again, we'd just get a 6% discount if we returned to ESB at that point. Jumping ship now would effectively be a gamble on no further price increases over the Winter as I don't want to lose the 14% discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Price rises even though they made a profit of €339 million last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Electrical

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The government making a profit from it's own people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think you need to learn some basic accounting. €339m was the operating profit i.e. before deducting the interest payments ESB had to make. They actually posted a pre-tax loss of 89.2m for 2010. Despite that, they paid a dividend of €77m to the Exchequer for 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Yeah you're right. Still though they made a €580m profit after tax in 2009, €273m in 2008, €432m in 2007... so they have been making huge profits for years. And it seems like they would've made a profit in 2010 only for an "exceptional pension item" that cost them €330m.

Advertisement