Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

grasseed what type?

• 26-08-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

well lads what seed would ye recomend as being the best seed for silage ground and for grazing
    land would be of a heavy nature.
    thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭WeightierDisc

Ganja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

unforunatly this year its a bit of a case of whats left not what you want,
    id usualy have a look through the northern ireland list first i find it more informative than the irish list also it compares well to the bsh info so there appears to be some consistancy
    http://eservices.afbini.gov.uk/recommendedvarieties/herbage/default.aspx

i wouldnt get too caught up with heading date , if you compare the irish and NI list there can be a week in the differance for the same varietes (so it aint an exact science) so i would pick from the last week of may on, also i remember being told that you still have to harvest the late varietes earlier to maintain the same dmd as te earlyintermediate - you cant base all on heading date for high quality silage, try to keep the range in the mix to within 7 days
    generally i try to do a mix up for 65:35 dips to tetrapliod and add in about 1 kg clover, they say that the tets will increase another 5 to 10 % due to their more vigrous growth,
    so for wet land you may want to drop it back to 25% or so id try to use 2 of each class ( just in case one fails)
    although i have gone with a mix of abermagic and dunluce wich as worked out well
    in dips i am happy with abermagic, premium, id like to use aberzest and abergreen (couldnt get them this year)
    in tetraploids - dunluce delphin abercraigs, id consider using astonenergy

ps. if you want a good sward get your hands on a few sheep (at least for the first year) they will help thicken it out
    theres my 2 cents hope it helps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

What are your views on hybrid Ryegrass for silage vs Ryegrass. I stiched in some hybrid ryegrass last year on 4 acres for silage. The bales were eaten very quickly by my cattle this winter. But i read on teagasc website that the prefer ryegrass over the hybrid as it has a higher dry matter yeild.

Advertisement