Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra silent case

Options
  • 26-08-2011 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,371 ✭✭✭✭

intel Core i5-2500K
    MSI P67A-GD53 (B3), Intel P67, ATX, DDR3
    2x Palit Geforce GTX 570, 1280MB, PCI-Express
    4GB-KIT Mushkin Silverline Stiletto PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24
    Samsung SH-223C bare schwarz SATA
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)
    Corsair CMPSU-750HX Professional Series 750W Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-750HX Professional Series 750W Power Supply
    Thermaltake V3 Black Edition ohne Netzteil (current case)

My current pc at the moment and im loving it but I do find the fans get pretty loud in it with demanding games like Crysis 2 and Deus ex, so I think it maybe time to get a new case but I want one that will be ultra silent, any recommendations please

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Headshot wrote: »
    intel Core i5-2500K
    MSI P67A-GD53 (B3), Intel P67, ATX, DDR3
    2x Palit Geforce GTX 570, 1280MB, PCI-Express
    4GB-KIT Mushkin Silverline Stiletto PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24
    Samsung SH-223C bare schwarz SATA
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)
    Corsair CMPSU-750HX Professional Series 750W Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-750HX Professional Series 750W Power Supply
    Thermaltake V3 Black Edition ohne Netzteil (current case)

My current pc at the moment and im loving it but I do find the fans get pretty loud in it with demanding games like Crysis 2 and Deus ex, so I think it maybe time to get a new case but I want one that will be ultra silent, any recommendations please

Oh wow, SLI 570s in the V3 no wonder it gets loud. What cooler do you have on the i5, is it just the stock one?

If you have the money for it, the Silverstone Fortress 2 is probably the best bet. The 600T would be another good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

deconduo wrote: »
    Oh wow, SLI 570s in the V3 no wonder it gets loud. What cooler do you have on the i5, is it just the stock one?

If you have the money for it, the Silverstone Fortress 2 is probably the best bet. The 800T would be another good option.

I thought the corsair cases suffered from air flow/high temp problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,371 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If you have the money for it, the Silverstone Fortress 2 is probably the best bet. The 800T would be another good option.

yes the stock, even thou I have a Corsair A70, i dont have it installed. (would it help?)

jebus i just looked up the price for the Silverstone Fortress 2, bloody hell :pac:

next suggestion please :D

yes the stock, even thou I have a Corsair A70, i dont have it installed. (would it help?)

jebus i just looked up the price for the Silverstone Fortress 2, bloody hell :pac:

next suggestion please :D

This would be a decent cheaper option, it wouldn't be 100% silent but it would be much better than the V3. Installing the A70 would help with noise as well.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-cm-690-ii-advanced-dominator-black-mid-tower-case-w-o-psu

This would be a decent cheaper option, it wouldn't be 100% silent but it would be much better than the V3. Installing the A70 would help with noise as well.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-cm-690-ii-advanced-dominator-black-mid-tower-case-w-o-psu

thanks for that Deconduo, much better pricing too. Ill keep that in mind

anyone else have other recommendations before I decide to go for Deconduo choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=Mjc0Mw

They are a little more then that case but extremely quite, i really wanted to buy one for my new build but the lack of E-ATX support ended my interest. It's about €140 on dabs at the moment.

Parawind wrote: »
    http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=Mjc0Mw

They are a little more then that case but extremely quite, i really wanted to buy one for my new build but the lack of E-ATX support ended my interest. It's about €140 on dabs at the moment.

P193 V3
    Performance One Series

that the one?

another one to think about, thanks Parawind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

surprised the thread has lasted this long without someone mentioning the fractal define r3. its got soundproofing! and its relatively cheap.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    surprised the thread has lasted this long without someone mentioning the fractal define r3. its got soundproofing! and its relatively cheap.

would you recommend that one for my setup tea bag?

Amazon have this case and I can get the free postage
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fractal-Design-Define-ATX-Case/dp/B004006BKY/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1

ya or nay Tea bag?

would you recommend that one for my setup tea bag?

Amazon have this case and I can get the free postage
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fractal-Design-Define-ATX-Case/dp/B004006BKY/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1

ya or nay Tea bag?

ya. friend has it and its about as quiet as you get I reckon.

fwiw I've the 600t mentioned above and its not so quiet :(

it really is down to fans though. how hot do your 570s get? use as few case fans as possible to keep it reasonable. also use your A70.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Could always Try a Watercooling job , They run Near Silent and You could start with just a loop for your Gfx cards and then add one for your Cpu.

Otherwise I would reccommend Aftermarket coolers for your cards , Perhaps more cost effective than getting a new Case and they usually cool allot better / quieter than stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

With two 570s, if he's looking for the build to be as quiet as I'm thinking, he's going to need at least a 360+240 setup for watercooling, with CPU and GPU blocks, and pump, that's at the very least €400. It's not cheap. Then again, it would be pretty quiet... Loudest thing in my rig at the moment is my PSU.

The R3 is a great case but my problem with recommending in the scenario is temperatures. With SLI 570s I thought there was definitely going to be temperature problems inside the Fractal R3. However with a bit of research it looks like it would actually be ok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2gZ8er-3cs

While there was a bit of modding to the case, 580s would run hotter than 570s anyway. If a few more case fans were added it should be ok.

ya im going to get that R3 case and another 120 fan for the front of it

can anyone recommend a fan please

Scythe Slipstreams are some of the best case fans around.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-Slip-Stream-SY1225SL12L-Case/dp/B000W7NGRA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1314450908&sr=8-3

The watercooling crowd are very fond of Gentle Typhoons for their noise/air qualities, and for their quality of sound, though they're a little more expensive, and I don't know what they're like for case fans.

So iv ordered the R3
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004006BKY/ref=oss_product

and

Scythe Slip Stream

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000W7NGRA/ref=oss_product

I think I should be grand with that

thanks alot folks

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

This case wont make his pc quiet. I have it, It has 2 fans, and holes
    for another fans all over the place.

I didnt want to create a new thread so I hoping some kind hearted soul would help me here :D

Im thinking of getting a sound card, is there any point and would it work in my new case and computer?

Im thinking of getting a sound card, is there any point and would it work in my new case and computer?

Well the answer to this, like so many other computer questions is, "it depends".

Frankly it depends what standard of audio your looking for, unless you have very expensive speakers your motherboard audio should be fine. Your 2 x gtx 570's are going to block several of your expansion slots as they both dual slot cards. You might fit a sound card into the bottom pci slot though.

If your just listening to mp3s and watching dvds you will be fine with what you have. If your going to be listening to FLAC and watching blurays on a 5.1 setup and want to listen to the hd audio then i'd recommend getting a high quality sound card.

So the short of it is save your money unless your a big audiophile. Hope that helps.

Parawind wrote: »
    Well the answer to this, like so many other computer questions is, "it depends".

Frankly it depends what standard of audio your looking for, unless you have very expensive speakers your motherboard audio should be fine. Your 2 x gtx 570's are going to block several of your expansion slots as they both dual slot cards. You might fit a sound card into the bottom pci slot though.

If your just listening to mp3s and watching dvds you will be fine with what you have. If your going to be listening to FLAC and watching blurays on a 5.1 setup and want to listen to the hd audio then i'd recommend getting a high quality sound card.

So the short of it is save your money unless your a big audiophile. Hope that helps.
    thanks alot for the helpful post Parawind

Why im thinking of a sound card is because of gaming and getting the best out of a headset

• Advertisement

thanks alot for the helpful post Parawind

Why im thinking of a sound card is because of gaming and getting the best out of a headset

Well in terms of gaming, if your considering a usb headset then it will not use the motherboard sound card or an added one. The audio processing on my own headset the G35 for example, is carried out by the logitech software.

Most usb headsets function this way, if your looking at a different type of gaming headset, then it would again really depend on the headset quality.

One other thing to note is that sound is generally subjective, so while one person may claim to hear a world of difference between the motherboard sound and a high quality sound card, you or I may not find the difference noticeable. The only way to really be sure is to hear for yourself, so if your planning to buy a new headset try it first with your motherboard and if your not happy with the sound then invest in a sound card.

I was thinking about the sound card again

Would that interfere with the airflow of my graphics card by any chance ?

Well if your blowing air directly from the bottom of the case upwards, then the sound card would sit in the way. There might be a slight temperature increase but i can't say for certain without seeing the setup. But if your air intake is at the side of the case then i'd say it would be fine. As long as there is nothing directly between the intake fan on your case and the graphics cards it shouldn't be an issue since those cards dump most of the warm air out the back of the case.

Just get a PCI-E sound card and stick it above your graphics cards.

so a week on getting my new case

Still find it a bit loud, opening the case it seems its the Corsair A70 is the one that's the loudest

any other helpful tips folks?

Its water time :cool:

How much are you willing to spend? New fans would be the cheapest option or get a better cooler, something like the noctua ndh d14.

so a week on getting my new case

Still find it a bit loud, opening the case it seems its the Corsair A70 is the one that's the loudest

any other helpful tips folks?

What sort of CPU temperatures are you getting? If they're pretty low you could use software to turn down the fan manually if its uneccessary for it to be running at higher speeds.

Its water time :cool:

How much are you willing to spend? New fans would be the cheapest option or get a better cooler, something like the noctua ndh d14.
    water would be unreal but that is steep pricing imo. Iv already bought fans and the case that was recommended in this thread and still hasnt really made a big dent in the noise

Maybe my last hope is the water cooling?
    What sort of CPU temperatures are you getting? If they're pretty low you could use software to turn down the fan manually if its uneccessary for it to be running at higher speeds.
    oKA5a.png

(no games etc running in the background)

Throw IBT (Intel BurnTest) on for a while and then post back. Idle temps don't say much.

• Advertisement

This better Serephucus?

HhNA8.png

Advertisement