Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Wireless Modem

Options
  • 26-08-2011 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We had an Eircom modem that was about two years old and about two weeks ago it stopped working (no wireless, ADSL or internet light).

We reset it etc and still no luck

I had a second (brand new eircom netopia) modem that we had never used and set it up. It worked for less than a week when the wireless light failed to come on, and the wireless doesnt work.

On navigation to http://192.168.1.254/ it shows wireless: Down, but wireless is enabled when you click it to the left.

Support have told us that this means our modem is faulty. She said she can issue us a new modem only if we get a new contract (we are currently out of contract). While in all likelihood we will be staying with we are averse to being forced into a new contract, and I dont really fancy setting up an Belkin modem.

On the "home" page of http://192.168.1.254/, under "Router Information" it has Warranty Date - and it shows 13/8/2011 (ie the first time we used this modem). Is the modem therefore eligible to be replaced under warranty by eircom or?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

TylerIE wrote: »
    Hi,

We had an Eircom modem that was about two years old and about two weeks ago it stopped working (no wireless, ADSL or internet light).

We reset it etc and still no luck

I had a second (brand new eircom netopia) modem that we had never used and set it up. It worked for less than a week when the wireless light failed to come on, and the wireless doesnt work.

On navigation to http://192.168.1.254/ it shows wireless: Down, but wireless is enabled when you click it to the left.

Support have told us that this means our modem is faulty. She said she can issue us a new modem only if we get a new contract (we are currently out of contract). While in all likelihood we will be staying with we are averse to being forced into a new contract, and I dont really fancy setting up an Belkin modem.

On the "home" page of http://192.168.1.254/, under "Router Information" it has Warranty Date - and it shows 13/8/2011 (ie the first time we used this modem). Is the modem therefore eligible to be replaced under warranty by eircom or?
    Hi TylerIE
    I could not access link above but presume the warranty date you mention is when you first connected with this modem. The warranty period extends for the 12 months after receiving modem and is not covered after that period is up, ( which is pretty standard with all electrical equipment) so the support agent would be correct in advising you not covered at moment.
    Replacement modems are issued only when in contract but yes if you renew contract a replacement can be sent to you. You can also purchase a new modem from us for approx €40 if a 12 month contract does not suit.
    Sorry if you felt forced into a new contract, I suppose the re-newing of contract is basically covering the replacement modem and allowing a further 12 month warranty on same.
    If you PM me your tel no. I can run some checks on your connection, maybe something I can do there?
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Hi TylerIE
    I could not access link above but presume the warranty date you mention is when you first connected with this modem. The warranty period extends for the 12 months after receiving modem and is not covered after that period is up, ( which is pretty standard with all electrical equipment) so the support agent would be correct in advising you not covered at moment.
    Replacement modems are issued only when in contract but yes if you renew contract a replacement can be sent to you. You can also purchase a new modem from us for approx €40 if a 12 month contract does not suit.
    Sorry if you felt forced into a new contract, I suppose the re-newing of contract is basically covering the replacement modem and allowing a further 12 month warranty on same.
    If you PM me your tel no. I can run some checks on your connection, maybe something I can do there?
    Tony

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your quick response and comments on the pressure to re-enter a contract.

That link is what you type into your address bar when the modem is connected, in order to access its settings. It AFAIK only works for the modem you have. You are correct that the warranty date given is the date the modem was first connected (according to the modems own settings page).

I am aware that a one year warranty would be standard. However I had thought/hoped that as your own device shows that it only was used for 1-2 weeks before the fault developed, eircom maywould have been happydelighted to replace it as it is obviously not fit for purpose.

We will get a modem elsewhere if not. Naturally with two eircom modems failing in a short space of time we would not be eager to pay for another of such poor quality.

Our line seems fine (the modem & internet works via cable, its only the wireless on the modem thats gone), its purely the modem that is not working, but thank you for offering to do checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

TylerIE wrote: »
    Hi Tony,

Thank you for your quick response and comments on the pressure to re-enter a contract.

That link is what you type into your address bar when the modem is connected, in order to access its settings. It AFAIK only works for the modem you have. You are correct that the warranty date given is the date the modem was first connected (according to the modems own settings page).

I am aware that a one year warranty would be standard. However I had thought/hoped that as your own device shows that it only was used for 1-2 weeks before the fault developed, eircom maywould have been happydelighted to replace it as it is obviously not fit for purpose.

We will get a modem elsewhere if not. Naturally with two eircom modems failing in a short space of time we would not be eager to pay for another of such poor quality.

Our line seems fine (the modem & internet works via cable, its only the wireless on the modem thats gone), its purely the modem that is not working, but thank you for offering to do checks.

Hi TylerIE
    Thanks again. As Tony says: "the warranty period extends for the 12 months after receiving modem and is not covered after that period is up, ( which is pretty standard with all electrical equipment) so the support agent would be correct in advising you are not covered at moment.

If you PM me your tel no. I can run some checks on your connection, maybe something I can do there?"

We don't have any other policy in place for replacing modems. That said, we do offer a free replacement (under 12mts or if continuing your current 12 months contract).

The following Support website on our Forum may be helpful with regards 'Wireless' issues, if you would like to take a look : LINK

Please let Tony or myself know if we can help you further.

Best regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Hi TylerIE
    Thanks again. As Tony says: "the warranty period extends for the 12 months after receiving modem and is not covered after that period is up, ( which is pretty standard with all electrical equipment) so the support agent would be correct in advising you are not covered at moment.

If you PM me your tel no. I can run some checks on your connection, maybe something I can do there?"

We don't have any other policy in place for replacing modems. That said, we do offer a free replacement (under 12mts or if continuing your current 12 months contract).

The following Support website on our Forum may be helpful with regards 'Wireless' issues, if you would like to take a look : LINK

Please let Tony or myself know if we can help you further.

Best regards,
    Ant

Ok, thank you for your reply.

Advertisement