Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o

Options
  • 26-08-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

oh, hadnt thought of that, good idea!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

BB_1983 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

any ideas this weekend with w - nw winds, have to get out, anyone any ideas where would be an option, anywhere that might have a wave and be a bit sheltered or that can handle the cross/on winds? some surfin seriously needed!

1. Buy map.
    2. Compare charts to said map.
    3. Go explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

BB_1983 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

any ideas this weekend with w - nw winds, have to get out, anyone any ideas where would be an option, anywhere that might have a wave and be a bit sheltered or that can handle the cross/on winds? some surfin seriously needed!

1. Buy map.
    2. Compare charts to said map.
    3. Go explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Your better off getting yourself stormriders eguide for ireland

http://www.lowpressure.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=69&CAT_ID=86&P_ID=181

And check out this interactive map of ireland

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,591271,743300,0,10

Check the forecasted swells

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi/cgi-bin/wxmap_DOD_area.cgi?area=ngp_atlantic&set=SeaState

And wind charts

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast

If you Dublin based, you'll drive to cork breaks as quick as Sligo or Clare, so you'll have most base's covered

This weekend, Achill could be a good bet, but don't blame me if nothing wraps in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Or just post questions here and expect to be spoon fed with other's hard earned knowledge & experience.

5 big yellow stars equals epic conditions!! :rolleyes:

Twas more a case of look at the links and check it out yourself ya lazy bugger

And anyway I used to be able to get most of the stuff from surfing ireland and a stormsurf website, that emailed you forecasts for the country when the swells were up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Or just post questions here and expect to be spoon fed with other's hard earned knowledge & experience.

5 big yellow stars equals epic conditions!! :rolleyes:

I agree with the whole "teach a man to fish" philosophy, but this is simply unhelpful.

OP, there are a great many sites that publish forecast information geared towards surfers, but it can take a little work to interpret it correctly so that you can begin to figure out for yourself the locations that are likely to work best on a given day.

I find that windguru.cz is one of the most accurate and detailed sites out there, but note that it is mostly geared towards windsports, not surfing. Therefore you should ignore the star ratings.

Have a read of this to learn what the data means: http://www.windguru.cz/int/help_index.php?sec=intro
    paying particular attention to wave height, wave period, swell direction, and wind direction/height.

Armed with this knowledge, you'll then have to figure out what location will work best. Do some research on the breaks that are accessible to you. Have a look on Google Maps to see which way the beach faces and how sheltered/exposed it is. Plenty of websites have advice from others on when certain beaches work best, e.g. at low/mid/high tide, or whether they will produce a good wave with minimum swell.

You didn't mention where in the country you are. Here is today's windguru forecast for Inchydoney Co. Cork:

Screen_Shot_2011_09_03_at_160515.png

The swell and period are good, but the direction isn't ideal for the Cork coastline. There will be an onshore breeze which isn't ideal but it won't be strong enough to entirely ruin the surf. If I was looking for a well-known beach location in the midwest/southwest today I'd have headed for somewhere like Brandon Bay in Kerry or Lahinch or Fanore in Clare.

Tomorrow the wind will be much stronger throughout the country, so I'd advise windsurfing or watching the hurling instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

I agree with the whole "teach a man to fish" philosophy, but this is simply unhelpful.

You're prob right cornbb but I wasn't really trying to be helpful but rather a sarcastic aul salty curmudgeon.
    But, if it sank in it could probably be considered helpful in the l'term, 'nah probably not....

The OP should at least be able to suss that at the most basic level they should have their back against an off-shore wind & aim to face towards the oncoming swell.
    some surfin seriously needed!

If the OP was that desperate, and lazy, they could just as easily have googled the theoretical question or looked up the a How To or FAQ of any of the MSW, WindGuru, Surf4cats etc but it would've required thinking of their own.

Personally I'd hate to think that I may have drove 50 or 100 or more miles the wrong direction, or to the wrong end of the country even, simply based upon the advice of faceless unknown know-it-alls on a talk forum when I could've sussed it out myself.

Ahh ignore me folks, I'm just a drunk opinionated surfing snob...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BB_1983

Cheers for the helpful responses, at the others,... I, like many others am limited to around 1 day a week/forthnight surfing due work/travel/family commitments, so I have to make the most of the few hours when possible. I would love to live on the west coast and work a 8-4 mon-fri job and devote every other hour to exploring the coast, or better again, live cheap in a camper and surf all the time, unfortunately thats far from what I do, or can do at the moment. I do, like most in my situation, count down the days to my next surf and daily, actually several times daily, study the charts, google maps, sites etc trying to optimise the chances of a good forth-coming session. Unfortunately I dont often get it right on days like the op forecast trying to pick out sheltered or reverse facing beaches that will still pick up the swell, which is fustrating and disappointing after managing to get the day, get money and drive for 3-4 hours either direction and hours inbetween scouting the area for a decent wave. Im well used to all the narrow-minded cliche clicky bullsh!t with some people in the surf community but to be honest, in Ireland, I don't see the need. , for me, surfing has brought me much happiness at a much needed time in this country and personally I'm happy to share all I can to encourage anyone keen enough!! ..
    Maybe I was unclear in my op, still, the response from some is a depressing and grim attitude to hold in any regard!.Good luck!

No need for a that, there is a very real fear that when conditions are bad and only a few places are working, they will be swamped cause someone advertised them on the Internet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Great post but don't take it all to heart. A lot of post on this forum are from people who can't be arsed to learn, it's lot of noise and it kind of killing what could other wise be a good forum, you came along an the wrong time.

Where do you live? Where you asking about Cork - if so sorry can't help don't know the breaks there apart from the already well know one.

Do your self three favours get two book - The Storm riders guide to Europe - it gives a good run down on weather forecasting and it's something to drool over all those nice places to surf aside from Ireland, makes a great coffee table book. If you really want to go into detail and aren't put off by a small bit of science the get Surf Science as it breaks things down really well and simply.

Lastly read online guides Lud's FAQ is good it got me started. Magic Seaweed has some good guides as well.

• Advertisement

Get the new stormrider ebook

http://www.lowpressure.co.uk/prodtype.asp?strParents=69&CAT_ID=86&numRecordPosition=1

Cheap as chips and you can print the pages to pdf and get them laminated, get for the old car...

Should add always check the tides of the break your surfing, had a break all to myself today, started great with lovely lefts and rights but feck me the tide went out really fecken quickly and I was left trying to surf a mad jacking closeout slab...

Advertisement