Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kells Blackwater

Options
  • 26-08-2011 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi all.Does anyone know how the kells blackwater is fishing at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

rtc wrote: »
    Hi all.Does anyone know how the kells blackwater is fishing at the moment?

It gets alot of pressure around Maudlin bridge but still some sport on light fly gear. Same around Mabes bridge up as far as Loyds bridge but the low water trough the season made it difficult. Had my biggest brownie this year on the Blackwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

It gets alot of pressure around Maudlin bridge but still some sport on light fly gear. Same around Mabes bridge up as far as Loyds bridge but the low water trough the season made it difficult. Had my biggest brownie this year on the Blackwater.
    when,what weight,what were you using and how.(sentence full of questions)!Sorry but interested cos I'm gonna give it a go in a couple of weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

rtc wrote: »
    when,what weight,what were you using and how.(sentence full of questions)!Sorry but interested cos I'm gonna give it a go in a couple of weeks time.

It was over 2lb, not sure exatly as i didnt have a scales.
    Got it on an Iron Blue Dun. saw him rising upstream so walked up quietly and casted to that area, took first time and barley noticed the take.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

A 2lb wild fish.Lovely.Well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

i fish it a fair bit and the water has been very low all year and conditions difficult.
    Hopefully some rain to freshen it before the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

I fish the blackwater most weeks of the season, and as Ironblue has said it hase been really low and the fishing has been difficult. The last two weeks have been good and I've have a number of 1lb - 2lb trout particularly last week (all catch and release!). Fingers crossed the last of the season will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nc13

Do you need a permit for up there? Is it fly or course fishing? I live in navan so that would handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

nc13 wrote: »
    Do you need a permit for up there? Is it fly or course fishing? I live in navan so that would handy.

There are a few clubs on the Kells Blackwater. Generally a permit is required.
    It's a game fishery with some good areas of coarse fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

there is no coarse fishing from carnacross to kells. water more suited to trout fishing.

Advertisement