Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

golden privet - feeback

Options
  • 26-08-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

just wondering if anyone has any feedback re golden privet hedging.
    i don't really like it but my husband does.
    is it easy to grow?, what conditions does it need?
    is it evergreen?
    would it be considered 'hardy'?

i realise that i could just google these questions, but i would value opinions from 'real' people instead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

It's very easy to grow - you could take cuttings now, stick them in rooting powder and have little plants in a year's time.

It lasted last winter for me, when many other evergreens died such as olearia, griselinia etc., although it did drop lots of it's leaves. You could try mixing it with the regular green privet if you don't want a wall of golden privet (it can be a bit much).

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

thanks Pops for the feedback

thats a really good idea about taking cuttings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Re golden privet hedging.
    It is hugely inflammable. Burberiss is better, nobody is going to be pushed into that twice.
    And there is Pyrocanthus which grows readily from seed, it has huge thorns that stop postmen from taking shortcuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

thanks for the reply farmer green
    i wont plant either of those though because i've three little people here, and i dont want them to get any injuries!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

My dad was recommended golden privet last night as a replacement for burnt hedging last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I took 10 centimetre cuttings from golden privet and had about 70 percent success rate propagating them. I have have 6 foot lenght golden privet spaced a foot apart which is about 3 foot high. then i have 6 foot lenght of green privet. 6 foot green -6 foot golden and so on until i reach the boundary wall. it lost all its leaves last winter but came back with a vengence in the spring. i love it. but put each cutting in a pot with a plastic bag with elastic around it after you cut them and dont even look at them for at least 5 - 6 weeks. you cant do it now tho as its the wrong time of year.

Advertisement