Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advise on tournaments game play

Options
  • 26-08-2011 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

I have been banging away for the last month on a few major poker sites. 770, PP and paddypoker. got that 50 buck tarting capital from poker strategys quiz

I play 4 times a week, and have made a small improvement in my balance on low stakes table. small and steady.

From what I have learned so far is a tight aggressive style works well for me on cash tables.

But.

Each time I go on to these turbo tournaments my chips get blinded away till i make a desperate loose aggressive move with lesser starting cards. soon to be sent out after the flop.

Is there any reading or advice you could give me to improve my small stakes tournament game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭johnny_cash

The poker forum is dead pretty dead here now mate go over to irish poker boards and there will be plenty of guys to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Basically dont play turbos when starting out. Take your time with a deepstack tournament and watch how others play as it closer to a cash game in the early stages and not as quick in the mid stages.

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭Readyhed

I hate turbos. The only way to win em is to get lucky and you can't get lucky unless your chips are in the middle. Waiting for premium hands won't work.

They go to shove or fold mode so fast that you may as well start from here. Many players do anyway.

Take them for what they are or steer clear of them. Skill has little to do with playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Trevor Kent

Ya Turbos are a lottery. Just play your standard 9 handed SnGs, you can actually wait for premium hands earlier on where blinds are low, play them aggressively. Protect your blinds also, if you see that your getting raised by the dealer often when you are small or big blind, put in the odd re-raise to make him/her think about what he/she is at, your tight style early on should help as your image suggests you only play good hands.
    Let the fish knock each other out till your down to about 5 players, lower your starting hand requirement a bit and stay aggressive as your image up until now has been one of a tight player.
    I also try stay away from low suited connectors (its a personal thing, each to their own). Early on, you rarely get pot odds to call a draw such is the aggressive nature of SnGs, late on they loose their value anyway as it becomes a shove or fold game, and unless your really really short stacked, your not shoving with 7,8s.
    Dont try to steal the blinds of a calling station (unless your hand is good), they just....well call. Be aware of stack sizes and dont raise a short stack unless your prepared to call his all in.
    My strategy is to be ultra tight early on, but playing good hands aggressively, protect my stack by giving the blind stealer someting to think about, loosen up a bit later on, and be in with a shout when your down to the last 5 or 4 players.

Advertisement