Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you use a towel more than once?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

The bedsheets, every fortnight, I hate changing the bedclothes.

No offence meant by this but I take it you are single.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I dont wash so dont need towels
    Schism wrote: »
    Yeah. I'm clean when I get out of the shower, the towel is just drying me off so it can be used a couple of times.

NEXT!

A question for people like you who reuse towels.

Would you use someone else's towel (that they had already used themselves) after your shower? If not, why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I use it once..then I realise its dirtied up a bit by the time i'm all dried off so I have another shower and thus create infinite loop of cleanliness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

No
    msg11 wrote: »
    No. Because I can't stop thinking when you wipe around the arse that the next time you could be using that bit on your face.
    Dunno about you but I tend to wash my arse while showering. A towel that has touched my arse after showering is as clean as a towel that's touched my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

deman wrote: »
    Dunno about you but I tend to wash my arse while showering. A towel that has touched my arse after showering is as clean as a towel that's touched my face.

...of course, they all have lovely arses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

looksee wrote: »
    How many of the people who say they throw it in the wash actually take responsibility for washing it...and drying and putting it back in the bathroom? If you don't then it doesn't count.

MAAAAAA!!!! WHERES ME WASHING!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

No

Would you use someone else's towel (that they had already used themselves) after your shower? If not, why not?

No. And because I know my own hygiene habits and not the other person's. I don't know how well they washed themselves while in the shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

No
    The curse of the washing machine. At boarding school in the early 60s, you had one bathtowel, one handtowel and one facecloth per week. Mandatory games, hence showers at least five times a week plus face washing in the morning. So the bathtowel got used at least five times. The handtowel twice daily as did the facecloth. AFAIK, nobody caught anything from these. Not being in the medical field I can't comment on this BUT when I see teenagers changing a few times a day, I wonder if their parents have been affected from inhaling too much Daz. If these doting supermums had to wash by hand, you'ld get less skin allergies. And the eco system would not be as endangered. Personally I use one towel for about four showers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

No
    I used to only ever use a towel once. Then I moved away from home......... ****ed if I'm doing that much washing. Get a few washes out of a towel no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

No
    I really want to say that when I get out of the shower I shake myself dry like a dog but I already commented. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

No
    I use the same towel for a week. If thats some how unhygenic too you you may be a little OCD.
    Showers clean you its just water hang up the towel when your finished and bobs your uncle clean towel the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

beach or sanitary??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

No
    I wash the towels whenever I feel they need to be washed, usually once a week.

It's all easy peasy for youngsters with just themselves to wash and often someone else to do their laundry, but wait till they've a couple of kids and a partner... If I was to wash each towel after it has been used once, I would have to wash 28 towels a week (wait, I think someone else mentioned that, snap ;)), and that's assuming just one towel per person, when in fact we're all using smaller towels for the hair too, and hand towels... so you could double that easily !

Anyone fancy washing 56 towels and a bit this week ? Or financing it ?

If you dry them well on radiators or clothes horse they feel as clean as the day before and don't get smelly.

No wonder Irish waters are in that state, and the people are broke, I dread to think what my ESB bill would be if I adopted that lifestyle (throwing towel straight into laundry bin after single use).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

One for body and one for hair, body one goes in the wash, hair one gets used on body the next time. I thought everyone did that until reading this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

No
    Hi AH'ers. Just a quick question there to get y'alls opinion.

Do you guys use a towel more than once after a shower or do you throw it out for the wash?

Maybe a mod can add a poll because I don't know how to.

I boil it when it goes stiff:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I can't be the only one reading feeling a massive sense of guilt about not knowing when I last washed the towel I used today:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Towel? I prefer to air-dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭northern lights

No
    Karona wrote: »
    I really want to say that when I get out of the shower I shake myself dry like a dog but I already commented. :(

I actually tried that once but pulled a muscle! Harder than it looks :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

No
    Hi AH'ers. Just a quick question there to get y'alls opinion.

Do you guys use a towel more than once after a shower or do you throw it out for the wash?

Maybe a mod can add a poll because I don't know how to.
    yes i am a psycho who touches the towel and then washes it twice. wtf is going through your head man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

No
    KeithM89 wrote: »
    Done.

Only use it once then wash

Towel for shower of jizz rag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

No
    Emm...Yeah I hang it up for next time. Poor student can't be washing such things every time :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Only use it once then wash

What the fuck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

No
    wolf moon wrote: »
    wtf is going through your head man?

Gamma rays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Towels are for wimps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I use 1 large towel for everything, it gets wet but not dirty. I bring it from my main room to the bathroom for showers then bring it back and hang it on my door. I change it probably every 4/5 days. I shower once a day, wear fresh underwear,tshirts, but changing towels every day is stupid, just let them dry. I have at least 4 bath towels and 6 hand towels but theres no need to waste electricty washing them so regularly.

OT. I use a face cloth as a towel if Im travelling, you wouldnt think something so small could dry your whole body but it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

No
    lots of people not understanding how showers work, the idea is to come out of it washed and clean, and basically wipe water on the towel. If you're one of those people who have a bath then fair enough [you're bathing in your own dead skin cells, bumb crumbs, and smegma :eek:] it should get just the one use in that case

to summarise:

if you shower and use a towel only once you're doing it wrong [the shower] and a germfreak

if you bath and use it more than once you're manky!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Male here; I have a routine, every morning I will take a shower which involves a fresh towel and face cloth, after showering usally I will then shave depending on stubbly I am and sometimes this maybe every second day for shaving, I throw the towels, socks, wash cloths and all the clothes the whole lot in for a wash every 4th or 5th day when their is a load of laundry accumulated; after a quick wash just hang them out to dry or if its raining hang them in the garage, 25-30mins in the dryer will finish them if they are still not dry. Wash the sheets every 7 to 10 days and no biggie.

The idea of re-using a towel is pretty gross, waters free and a years supply of soap powder can be got in Asda in Norn Iron for about £25 when doing the mega Christmas shop with her majestys finest sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Water shortages. And the machine uses water AND electricity. Ditto if it's an electric shower. So it adds up.

Never seen the point in washing a shower towel after 1 use. I tend to make sure I'm squeaky clean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No
    We reuse in our house but we have a method.

There'll always be a towel in the bathroom for drying our hands and the person who goes in for a shower will bring in another towel and a hair towel. The towel that was there already will become the towel for the general wipe down in the shower when the water is off so you aren't stepping out dripping wet. That towel will be used as the floor towel.
    The other clean towel brought in to the bathroom will do the rest of the drying (which wouldn't be a lot at this stage) and will become the hand cleaning towel to be used as the floor towel for the next person.

The hair towel and the floor towel will both go into the wash and there will always be a towel in the bathroom. So every towel gets two uses except for the hair towels as they'd be sopping and they are only tiny anyway.

:)

No
    Stinicker wrote: »
    The idea of re-using a towel is pretty gross,

Ah no it's not. The idea of using it once is horribly wastefull.
    waters free

No it is not unless you are collecting it from your roof and even then you need to buy the equipment and filter it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

No
    There is only one laundry day in the week, how do some of you guys wash 7+ towels a week? That's environmentally wasteful, if nothing else.

I only own 3 body/gym towels in total. So yes, lots of recyclage going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

No
    Ya know what we need... those dyson dryers,that blow the skin off ya,but person sized.dry in 5seconds and no towels to worry about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Myles Dyson has since stopped working on vaccum cleaners and dryers and started on Skynet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I always wash the towel after one use, only because of the dead skin left on it after I've wiped myself dry.

I'll use the hand towel a few times, though. I'll wash those every 2-3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

No
    I wash the towel once it gets too hard to fold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Usually only once, but if I'm in need of a shower and haven't put a wash on, I'll use one I used before.

Myself and my hubby missed our flight home from London due to an arse/face towel which he insisted on buying. Towel cost stg10 flight cost stg120. So we paid stg130 for an arse/face towel.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I use one towel to dry myself and then I throw it in the wash basket when I'm finished, I've never really thought about using it more than once as I've just grown up with this routine! I guess I'd feel slightly grossed out using a towel multiple times. That's just me though! If I had a different routine growing up I think it would be different.

I always do a little washing every night after 10pm when it basically costs nothing to use the washing machine and then I throw it outside on the clothes line or on the radiators/clothes horse to dry so it really doesn't cost me anything to have nice fresh towels everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

No
    towels that have seen the inside of my gear bag go into the wash as soon as i get home. as for bathroom towels. . .i'm struggling to think of a time i put one in the wash apart from the odd one that might have made the acquaintance of a shaving cut - in saying that, all will end up in the gear bag eventually so the circle of life continues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

No
    Myself and my hubby missed our flight home from London due to an arse/face towel which he insisted on buying. Towel cost stg10 flight cost stg120. So we paid stg130 for an arse/face towel.:(

This is hilarious!

Asphyxia how does it cost nothing to wash after 10pm? I assume you mean the night rate? But thats not 10pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

No
    I usually put an already used towel on the floor to stand on while I dry myself off with a fresh towel.

I then rub the towel between my balls, fold it up nicely and put it back amongst the clean towels for someone else to use. I do this simply because I'm a jerk.

This is hilarious!

Asphyxia how does it cost nothing to wash after 10pm? I assume you mean the night rate? But thats not 10pm.

True story Im afraid.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

This is hilarious!

People from the ESB came to my door when I first moved out letting me know how much units I use and they were introducing some new rates and telling me about the different appliances that use x amount of units, they said that I'd save a percentage after 10pm. Since I started doing the washing alone after 10pm I've never had to pay over 50 quid for electricity I think the most expensive one was 65 and that wasn't and estimate! I thought this happened everywhere but a lot of people don't seem to have heard of it.

No

Of course I'd use someone else's towel.

Obviously, I'd say to them first, "is it ok if I use your towel?/is this clean?".

Now, a question for people who don't reuse towels...

Do you know that your electricity bill isn't the only thing to consider when you're using (in my opinion it's not just using, it's wasting) electricity, water and soap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

Of course I'd use someone else's towel.

Obviously, I'd say to them first, "is it ok if I use your towel?/is this clean?".

Now, a question for people who don't reuse towels...

Do you know that your electricity bill isn't the only thing to consider when you're using (in my opinion it's not just using, it's wasting) electricity, water and soap?

Ewwwwwww....thats just WRONG!!!!!!

:eek:

• Advertisement

No
    looky loo wrote: »
    Ewwwwwww....thats just WRONG!!!!!!

:eek:

In fairness I think they might mean someone else's towel that's been washed i.e. first out of wasing machine use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

No
    mars bar wrote: »
    We reuse in our house but we have a method.

There'll always be a towel in the bathroom for drying our hands and the person who goes in for a shower will bring in another towel and a hair towel. The towel that was there already will become the towel for the general wipe down in the shower when the water is off so you aren't stepping out dripping wet. That towel will be used as the floor towel.
    The other clean towel brought in to the bathroom will do the rest of the drying (which wouldn't be a lot at this stage) and will become the hand cleaning towel to be used as the floor towel for the next person.

The hair towel and the floor towel will both go into the wash and there will always be a towel in the bathroom. So every towel gets two uses except for the hair towels as they'd be sopping and they are only tiny anyway.

:)
    This is the possibly the oddest yet! So you're drying your (clean showered) body with a towel that has already been used by everyone to dry their hands after using the toilet, etc., and drying your hands on a towel that someone has already used to dry (all parts of) their body?

Sounds like a crazy method, not to mention a bit gross... or have I got it wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

In fairness I think they might mean someone else's towel that's been washed i.e. first out of wasing machine use.

Its too late im gone off me ginger nuts now...! lols

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

No
    Maybe wash them once a month. Depends on how smelly they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Don't use them often. I fry off in front of a heater fan. If it's warm out, I just walk around the house naked until dry. (Benefit of living alone).

I'd wash the towels after every 4-5 uses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement