Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RDF again?

• 26-08-2011 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi all

Last year i applied to my local RDF unit and we started basic training(footdrills and the like) we were still waiting for medicals etc, as the time went the group of recruits became somewhat nervous as we still hadnt been sworn in. so we went from september 2010 to early june/late may 2011 and were told in the end we couldnt be taken on. Surely this sorta time wasting could've been avoided?

but what i want to know really is, is it worth trying to join again? due to me starting college it would be a different barracks, infantry again though.

So any advice would be welcome:)

P.s if i came across as i hated my time for the year, wrong it was brilliant fun and very interesting

P.Ps is computer science degree something i could get into pdf with? money would not matter career does :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

That sounds ridiculous. How could you have been involved in training if you hadn't been properly recruited? What if there had been an injury or other mishap? It defies belief that such a thing could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

not proper training we just did basic marching and the very basic footdrills just to clarify that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

Barrt2 wrote: »
    Hi all

Last year i applied to my local RDF unit and we started basic training(footdrills and the like) we were still waiting for medicals etc, as the time went the group of recruits became somewhat nervous as we still hadnt been sworn in. so we went from september 2010 to early june/late may 2011 and were told in the end we couldnt be taken on. Surely this sorta time wasting could've been avoided?

but what i want to know really is, is it worth trying to join again? due to me starting college it would be a different barracks, infantry again though.

So any advice would be welcome:)

Have you thought about a corp, like artillery or logistics ?
    (You'll get to do all the infantry stuff plus a lot more)

Or with your course a Communication and Information Services Corps (CIS) definitely might be the way to go.
    P.Ps is computer science degree something i could get into pdf with? money would not matter career does :)

Very useful for the PDF, they use computers a lot these days, and they will always need good computer technicians, it'll keep you out of the Guardhouse / Cookhouse, and other sh1t duties, you'll get some extra tech pay, and you'll always be in demand on the overseas missions as well. You could have a great career as an NCO in the PDF, and still have the time and energy for second job after work and the weekends like most of the PDF do, e.g. taxi driving and such like. Or in your case perhaps computer maintenance etc. Work on your fitness levels and maintaining them high for life, when you're close to getting your degree, keep applying whenever they are recuiting.

Don't waste your time on the Cadets, unless you're a GAA county player or suchlike it's too hard to both get in, and more importantly, keep getting on, if you do get in. Anyway being an officer in the PDF is like being on show in a goldfish bowl for the rest of your life, it's all pretences, you're constantly analysed and talked about by all ranks, after a few years that becomes very claustrophobic, and you won't get away with having a second job outside the PDF.

sounds interesting :) whats the maximum age you can apply for PDF ?

sounds interesting :) whats the maximum age you can apply for PDF ?

Check the official DF website. Despite the age limits they quote, they do prefer to get people in their early twenties, as they are generally fitter and less starting to get set in their ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 62 Reserve Battalion

That sounds ridiculous. How could you have been involved in training if you hadn't been properly recruited? What if there had been an injury or other mishap? It defies belief that such a thing could happen.
    Standard practice nowadays - very simplistic stuff like Foot drill, Irish History, Military Law and lectures on rank structure etc. One unit organised a trip to Collins Barracks Military Museum as part of its induction training. Doesn't involve weapons or tactical training. Probably the most dangerous thing that can happen on it is a paper cut.

There are legal forms to be filled out but the inductees before any training happens though.

OP, I was surprised you were sent away - the usual is that you continue being processed until a place comes up. They may have run out of stuff to do with you but they should still have your paperwork.

If you go to another unit, it is likely you will have to start the whole thing over again. A lot of people I know have been waiting 1 year and will likely have to wait another year.

If I were you, I would go back to the unit you started with, see if they are still are processing your paperwork. If they have stopped, then go to another unit. If they are still processing it, stay.

Someone advised you to stay away from the Cadets? Don't - if you can get in, take it. But very limited places so don't hold your breath here either.

As for the Army wasting your time, that is not the Armys fault but the Recruitment Moratorium. They could have ignored you for a year and told you nothing but at least they engaged with you.

Standard practice nowadays - very simplistic stuff like Foot drill, Irish History, Military Law and lectures on rank structure etc. One unit organised a trip to Collins Barracks Military Museum as part of its induction training. Doesn't involve weapons or tactical training. Probably the most dangerous thing that can happen on it is a paper cut.

There are legal forms to be filled out but the inductees before any training happens though.

OP, I was surprised you were sent away - the usual is that you continue being processed until a place comes up. They may have run out of stuff to do with you but they should still have your paperwork.

If you go to another unit, it is likely you will have to start the whole thing over again. A lot of people I know have been waiting 1 year and will likely have to wait another year.

If I were you, I would go back to the unit you started with, see if they are still are processing your paperwork. If they have stopped, then go to another unit. If they are still processing it, stay.

Someone advised you to stay away from the Cadets? Don't - if you can get in, take it. But very limited places so don't hold your breath here either.

As for the Army wasting your time, that is not the Armys fault but the Recruitment Moratorium. They could have ignored you for a year and told you nothing but at least they engaged with you.

last part is true i didnt understand the embargo system when i first looked to join but eventually were told about it among other things

Not for one second am i knocking our PDF and RDF personnal and importance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Another thing to point out in regards to the amount of time it takes to get sworn in is that Garda vetting can take a LONG time in some jurisdictions.

I believe it's because part of the process involves taking the forms on a long hike across the country to a mountain where they are locked away for a million years or until someone says a certain phrase from a magic book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

amurph0 wrote: »
    Another thing to point out in regards to the amount of time it takes to get sworn in is that Garda vetting can take a LONG time in some jurisdictions.

I believe it's because part of the process involves taking the forms on a long hike across the country to a mountain where they are locked away for a million years or until someone says a certain phrase from a magic book.
    What a load of nonsense!

Everyone knows that once coffee has been spilt on your application at least twice, it is buried in a midland bog. There is no mountain. Thats just what they tell you to put you off...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

What a load of nonsense!

Everyone knows that once coffee has been spilt on your application at least twice, it is buried in a midland bog. There is no mountain. Thats just what they tell you to put you off...

i like to think the guards just use them to put under the legs of their wobbly desks,

OP this happened to me twice both times i was there for about 6 months each taking four buses a week to it and yes its very frustrating if they were "recruiting" this year i wouldnt bother .

• Advertisement

Actually what happens most times is that they are dumped by someone who's job it is to process them (but who can't be arsed doing it, and is well connected), onto someone (who is not connected) who's job should not involve processing them, or doing the jobs of people who can't be arsed to doing their own job. Then you have stalemate. That's where the paper fun starts.

Advertisement