Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heading to Lake Garda next month......

• 26-08-2011 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Staying in Riva del Garda. Any pointers from those of you who have already been?

Thanks,

Freddie.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭phog

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Staying in Riva del Garda. Any pointers from those of you who have already been?

Thanks,

Are you posting the correct forum? Is your query around photography in Lake Garda or touristy things to do while there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

The Gardaí have their own lake??? :eek:

:D

Sorry can't help you. But bring a camera!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

kelly1 wrote: »
    The Gardaí have their own lake??? :eek:

Sorry can't help you. But bring a camera!

Ye feckers!:D Just wondering if there are any particular spots for good shots? Or best places to photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

I was in Italy there a while back, I can't remember the names of the places sadly :( but I do remember a good spot in a theme park, oddly enough.
    I think the name of it is Gardaland (but it's somewhere on the south end of the lake). It's aimed towards kids but there's one ride which gives you a good view of the lake and mountain range which surrounds.
    There's also a bike rental you can do, allowing you to cycle a track along the perimeter of the lake. :cool:
    If you can get a clear sunny day, it's absolutely beautiful, especially dawn and dusk! :D
    Hope this all helps ;):)

I was there a few years ago, stayed on the southern end of the lake, the whole area has great scenery and street shots so just get out there and take photos. If you have a car you should really try and get to the Dolomites and Verona, Venice is a nice day trip by train if you like.

Here's some of my photos from my trip.

If you have any particular questions, ask here or PM me and I'll try and answer them.

• Advertisement

@DoBhrionn: that bike ride sounds great. Might try it!

@phog: great shots. Looks lovely. We'll have a rental car. Would you recommend the train or car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

@phog: great shots. Looks lovely. We'll have a rental car. Would you recommend the train or car?

Edit: I got a bit ahead of myself and got Riva Del Garda and Peschiera mixed up. Riva is at the top of the lake and has no train station. You can get the public bus however it does take a good bit longer though it hugs the lake so should be a scenic drive, the timetable is here http://tech.atv.verona.it/atv_www/orari_extraurb/pdf/62-64.pdf - you may find it quicker to rent a car.

OP I've been there a few times, It's a wonderful area! You can get the train from Riva Del GardaPeschiera Del Garda or Desenzano Del Garda into Verona - it takes about 15-20 mins. I would reccomend over a car as the public transport is really quite good.

There are a ton of wonderful places to photograph in Verona and around lake Garda- here i'm just going to point out some places I definitely think you should visit and photograph.

Verona is an absolutely beautiful city and really rich in history. Get the bus from outside the station (You can walk from the station into the Center too, about 15 mins) into the Centro 'Storico (pretty much the city centre) to the Arena Di Verona, It's beautiful and you can walk in and climb all over it and explore. Walk up the main shopping street, Via Mazzini to see the appreciation Italians have for luxurious labels.. at the end to the right is Piazza Del Erbe, beautiful Piazza and great place to photograph.

Piazza De Signori is right behind it and there is a statue of Dante there. There is a clock tower which looms over Piazza Del Erbe and you can climb the the top for magnificent views over the city, again, great photos! Make your way to the river then (Take Via Cairoli from Erbe or Corso Santa Anastasia from the other end) for amazing views across the river. You can cross over and visit the Roman Ampitheatre, there is a lovely museum there too. And then climb up the hill to the Castel San Pietro.

There is also a good museum at Museo Civico di Castelveccio, back closer to the arena.

All of this is doable in one day if you get a train from South Lake Garda. The great parts of Verona is compact and easy to walk around.

As for Garda, the whole place is beautiful and you will have no end of photo opportunities. In Riva Del GardaPeschiera Del Garda there are some lovely old walls you'll see from the train over an inlet, the colors are beautiful.

Oh and definitely make a trip to Gardaland. You can get the transfer bus from your train station, it only takes 5-10 mins as far as I remember. It's a very good rip off of Disney and lots of fun.

Very envious of your trip. Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thanks,

The surrounding is a great place for photography. The lake itself in the evening time is beautiful. There are so many nice villages along the lake you will be spoiled for choice. I stayed in Pescheira del Garda and there was plenty to photograph, narrow streets, Ice cream parlours, the colours, people at work, old buildings. There are some botanical gardens nearby but I didnt get to visit them.

Verona is only about 30 minutes from where you will be (Romeo and Juliette) and there is a lot of opera events around. Also just down the road you can get a cable car up Mount Baldo where there are stunning scenes. You can hop on a train and head into Milan or down to Venice. Gardaland is also about only 30minutes from you as is Movieland. You can take a boat tour on the lake and visit a few of the villages it stops at. If you are into cars Marinnello is about 45 minutes away. There is a superb adventure park where you can zipwire across ravines. It was brilliant. The drive up and down the mountain from it was just amazing, like a James Bond film with corkscrew roads. I will look up my photos later but this is just outside Pescheira

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]3657390391_8e8395d084.jpg[/EMAIL]">

This from the top of Mt Baldo. Watch out for Paragliders
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]3657393513_f3ce741469.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Its a beautiful place. I found people were very friendly and helpful. Good value to eat out.
    However one word of warning. KEEP YOUR CAMERA CLOSE TO YOU IF YOUR IN VENICE. I met 2 people who had their cameras nicked. Its no different to anywhere else in that regard but holidays = relax = pickpockets

We used the car for all our trips except Venice as I kind of thought it's not really car friendly.

Verona is probably worth a day trip and an evening trip. All the towns around Lake Garda look great, my favourite would be Sirmione, it's a medevial town.

If you plan on doing a trip to the Dolomites, skip Sunday the whole place closes. If you miss the Dolomites and like the mountains then take a trip to Mount Baldo, there's a cable car up from Malcesine.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

+1 for the cable car.

Also, a walk up the hill/mountain is worth it - there is a cross/church further up.

Riva is a beautiful town, a few old streets, and courtyards, bring a tripod for some night shots too.

I would avoid Venice - too much for a single day trip, it can be 2hrs by bus from Riva, but Verona is good to visit, and the train to Milan passes by the south of the lake.

But more importantly, put the camera down and enjoy your holiday.

I recommend a trip to a Vineyard called Maso Roveri, loved that - it was an organised trip, but very enjoyable, though this was 12 years ago now - yikes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

The only place in the world I have gone and come back thinking I could live there.
    As soon as you get to riva look up at the mountain thats above you. High, high up you will see a sort of white chapel in the side of the mountain. Its more of a shrine. You must make the trip. Its not as harsh as it looks, and I did it (stupidly) without so much as a bottle of water. Took an hour or so going up, and the same back. I had no camera, but the views will make your heart skip a beat. Remember, its not a climb, but a very steep walk.
    Use the ferries to travel around the lake towns, Its cheap, and the views coming in and departing each town will make great photo's.
    Limone, the town of Lemons is pretty colourful.
    The most picturesque of all the towns is Malcesine. Its an old village with all cobbled streets and stone walls and it is very untouched. It is dwarfed by a big castle which in itself is beautiful but affords great points to take pics from too. I actually got married on the castle tower..

I was there twice, but both times before my photography days. I'd love to go back with the D7000 and just go mental.
    A beautiful part of the world and you will have a great time.

You can get great photographs anywhere you go around the lake, and a little bit further afield. Try Garda, Sirmione, Riva, Lazise or Peschiera. Go to Malcesine and take the cable car to Monte Baldo. Take a spin into the Valpolicella wine country, or to Verona. Venice is not too far away.

My personal favourite was the Parco Giardino Sigurtà in Valeggio Sul Mincio, about 8 km south of the lake.

Thank you one and all for all the advice.:)

Regards,

Freddie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Most of what I was going to say has been mentioned. I stayed in malcesine for a week- amazing place. Ferries around the lake are cheap and quick. Don't go to Garda land on Market day as you have to pass through the town of Garda where the Market is. (can't remember the exact day but traffic was bonkers around the lake, bus took 3 hours, should have taken 40 mins.) The town Limone, opposite malcesine is very nice and good for street shots. It's pretty much built on a cliff face so lots of tiny winding streets with high gradients make for some great photos.

In malcesine there is also a cable car which will take you to the top of the mountain with incredible views. You can bring a rental bike up with you on the cable car and cycle back down or just get the cable car back. It's cold up there too, you wouldn't think it because in the lake valley it can get very very warm. Make sure you choose a good clear day for this, when we got to the top it had clouded over, couldn't see a thing. On the decent it cleared up quite quick and we got to see the view, it's spectacular.

Thanks to everyone once again. A few from the trip:

6177121533_eb4503dae2_z.jpg
    Lake Garda from Monte Baldo, Malcesine, Italy by Vadrefjord (Ireland), on Flickr

6177647454_a091a4cfcf_z.jpg
    Lake Garda, Italy by Vadrefjord (Ireland), on Flickr

6177705972_94fee2f5bf_z.jpg
    Mask Shop, Venice, Italy, Italia by Vadrefjord (Ireland), on Flickr

A few more HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CathalGlynn

Danbo! wrote: »
    Most of what I was going to say has been mentioned. I stayed in malcesine for a week- amazing place. Ferries around the lake are cheap and quick. Don't go to Garda land on Market day as you have to pass through the town of Garda where the Market is. (can't remember the exact day but traffic was bonkers around the lake, bus took 3 hours, should have taken 40 mins.) The town Limone, opposite malcesine is very nice and good for street shots. It's pretty much built on a cliff face so lots of tiny winding streets with high gradients make for some great photos.

In malcesine there is also a cable car which will take you to the top of the mountain with incredible views. You can bring a rental bike up with you on the cable car and cycle back down or just get the cable car back. It's cold up there too, you wouldn't think it because in the lake valley it can get very very warm. Make sure you choose a good clear day for this, when we got to the top it had clouded over, couldn't see a thing. On the decent it cleared up quite quick and we got to see the view, it's spectacular.
    If I'm not too late with this reply, go to the church is Spiazzi. Stunning on top of monte baldo.

If I'm not too late with this reply, go to the church is Spiazzi. Stunning on top of monte baldo.

Back since Tuesday unfortunately Cathal.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The Gardaí have their own lake??? eek.gif

AND they have their own resort -

http://www.gardaland.it/resort-en/ :D:D:D

And there's you guys thinking it was Templemore :D:D

vicwatson wrote: »
    AND they have their own resort -

http://www.gardaland.it/resort-en/ :D:D:D

And there's you guys thinking it was Templemore :D:D

I can confirm! Passed it on Sunday last!!:D

Yah it looks great OP.

May I ask you who you travelled with to Riva Del Garda? Sunway or someone? Cheers

• Advertisement

Yah it looks great OP.

May I ask you who you travelled with to Riva Del Garda? Sunway or someone? Cheers

No problem. Booked directly with Residence Filanda for accommodation (brilliant apartments - great price); ryanair for the flights (to Bergamo); and car hire with Hertz.

Approximately €900 for us both for the week for all of the above.:)

Cheers Freddie will check it out. Good deal alright.

Is it walking distance to the beach freddie/any taxis available?

Thanks

Cheers Freddie will check it out. Good deal alright.

Is it walking distance to the beach freddie/any taxis available?

Thanks

No worries Vic. If you're in Riva del Garda, the manmade beach is within walking distance once you're staying in the town (Northwest end of the lake). There are numerous ferries on the lake itself, and you can hire a boat for three hours for €80 in Castellleta (don't rent in Riva - they'll take you for a 20 minute spin for €45).

Here's a few more shots:

6181502410_b216d03113_z.jpg
    Time out - Lake Garda, Italy by Vadrefjord (Ireland), on Flickr

6178298214_8633f09dee_z.jpg
    Lake Garda, Italy by Vadrefjord (Ireland), on Flickr

6177560943_f9664329c7_z.jpg
    Torbole with Lake Garda in the background by Vadrefjord (Ireland), on Flickr

6178200948_9bd727e60d_z.jpg
    The Dolimites, Near The Pordoi Pass, Italy by Vadrefjord (Ireland), on Flickr

6181077747_0149ab7484_z.jpg
    Riva del Garda, Lake Garda, Italy at night by Vadrefjord (Ireland), on Flickr

Advertisement