Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Booklists before semester starts...

Options
  • 26-08-2011 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey guys, anyone know if this is possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 delta_xray

heya, that usually doesnt happen. more often than not there are "recommended texts" that each lecturer has. you could spend a fortune on them and never open them , so be very cautious. more often than not there are a few copies in the library. if u do need a book though, chack with the SU first for 2nd hand mbooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sholvsca

Great, thanks a million!!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

The books needed depends on your modules/lecturers

In my course (Comp Sys) I'd say i bought 2 books during my entire time in ul and both are general programming books. You can rely on the library and interwebs for the rest

That said other courses (particularly some of the humanities courses) are book heavy. Best advice is to wait for the lecturer to tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Answer to your question is no. The lecturer will give them in the very first lecture but as the last poster said, dont buy them all, only if you need them for online tests or if your finding a particular module hard having the book will help. Its not like school where your told open page whatever of your books. You dont need to bring them to lectures at all. you'll see what I mean very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

If you're doing some sort of Lit course, order your books online as soon as you get the book list. Books that'll cost you €10-€15 in the bookshop can be as little as €3 online. Alternatively, check out second-hand book stores, both on campus (in the SU) and in town. If all else fails, check out the library, but it's not something to rely on because you'll want the books for exams and essays, and that's obviously when everyone else wants to check them out too.

And don't ever buy anything on the "Recommended Reading" list. No-one actually expects you to read anything on that list, it's just a bonus/guide for essay sources.

• Advertisement
Advertisement