Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full face or Not?

• 26-08-2011 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Thinking of starting mtb'ing, and I've been wondering whether for beginner stuff like the trails around ticknock and the like, would I need a full face helmet? Or would an ordinary road helmet do?
    Thanks in advance,
    Rónán

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Thinking of starting mtb'ing, and I've been wondering whether for beginner stuff like the trails around ticknock and the like, would I need a full face helmet? Or would an ordinary road helmet do?

NO NO and NO to Full face helmets for starting off biking at Ticknock...

Your standard lid will do....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

+1 for standard helmet for Ticknock trails.
    You might want to consider some knee/shin protection. If you do hit some of the red dot marked stones there and fly over the bars it's likely that you'll hit the bars with your knees (or one of them). And considering the amount of pointy stuff a bike has there some padding softens the blow considerably. They might also help when landing on some rougher stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

if ya wanna go full retard at ticknock, expect to get bumps and bruises

but no full helmet needed just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paddy The Pirate

glennbhoy wrote: »
    if ya wanna go full retard at ticknock, expect to get bumps and bruises

but no full helmet needed just yet

''Full retard'' meaning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

''Full retard'' meaning?

Not sure, but could be trying to do the upper trail without applying brakes at any point except for the non banked 180 degree turns (failing that wouldn't even be retarded, that would be just tired of living).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

full retard means going hell for leather and just plain mental descent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 The Lucan Collective

Let the New Guy wear what he wants.
    We didnt know that MTBers were so Fashion Conscious.
    Is 'Full Retard' really an accepted statement in MTB circles ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Let the New Guy wear what he wants.
    We didnt know that MTBers were so Fashion Conscious.
    Is 'Full Retard' really an accepted statement in MTB circles ?

Nothing to do with fashion - a full-face helmet is simply a poor choice for cross country riding, mainly due to lack of ventilation and reduced visibility.

"Full retard" is a thespian term and is sometimes heard in the jungle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Morgan wrote: »
    Nothing to do with fashion - a full-face helmet is simply a poor choice for cross country riding, mainly due to lack of ventilation and reduced visibility.
    I agree, way too warm for cross country. I have one that I wore on a few very cold night rides in winter, kept me toasty and was a very stable platform for a helmet mounted light...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Bren10101

depends, if your meaning to do dh then yes, if its just the coilte trails then no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

I see loads of people on the Ticknock trails with full face lids ..... they look ridiculous! Mind you better than the gob****e I saw fairly motoring down them last night with no helmet on at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

You don't need a ff helmet for riding around Ticknock. I've seen ine or two people with the Met Parachute lid
    WMB70.gt_helm.f_metpara_prev-399-75.jpg
    not too sure how that would move if you did face plant though.

If you are buying a helmet go for a MTB one which gives more coverage at the back of the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

studiorat wrote: »
    You don't need a ff helmet for riding around Ticknock. I've seen ine or two people with the Met Parachute lid
    WMB70.gt_helm.f_metpara_prev-399-75.jpg
    not too sure how that would move if you did face plant though.

If you are buying a helmet go for a MTB one which gives more coverage at the back of the head.

Have the met parachute myself, find it a bit harder to breathe especially in warmer weather. Had a spill last month and it saved my face from a nasty injury. Doesn't look to bad on the trails as opposed to a proper full face, but both look better than a face full of smashed teeth. In fairness to newbies on ticknock in particular, it is possible to go very fast especially on the upper trail and there are plenty of nasty rocks there so wear whatever you feel safe in until you get more practice and skilful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

RPL1 wrote: »
    I see loads of people on the Ticknock trails with full face lids ..... they look ridiculous! Mind you better than the gob****e I saw fairly motoring down them last night with no helmet on at all!
    Rollocks, I bet he looked sh1t cool.

Advertisement