Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build a super(ish) computer

Options
  • 26-08-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hey all,

Have no knowledge of PC building, but figured this would be a really nice challenge for the knowledgeable folks here:

I need to build a massively multicore machine for a project I'm working on, with a SIMD architecture, so obviously that's requirement No. 1: GPU, and would need to be supportable, so thats obviously CUDA. That's the only real requirement really. I would like the CPU to have as many cores as possible too!! Obviously if it's a rack, the wifi is a non-issue.

So:

>= 1 CUDA GPU - as many cores as possible.
    >= 16 core CPU - again as many as possible, but must have the CUDA above.

Budget: 10000.

This is a research machine, no interest in gaming or anything. Will be running some Unix derivative on it, and would like it to have built in Wifi. Don't mind if it's a box or a rack either. Obviously if it's a rack, wifi is a non-issue.

Go wild!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Get the EVGA classified SR-2 with two Xeon 6 cores and throw in a Quadro 6000 for good measure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

Have you thought about renting time on a large machine? Unless you really know what you're doing, the admin on a machine like that would be pretty tough and it could be left idle a lot unless there's a lot of you using it. You could get a lot of time for 10Gs.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭barnacle

Aye, I have time on a couple of machines. They don't have libraries/tools I need and have no plans installing them, and to be honest want to build my own. Admin shouldn't be too much to be honest. There will only be my own project on it for the foreseeable future.

Was thinking more along the lines of Tesla GPU's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/Category.asp?SystemMasterCategoryID=32

At that price would you not start looking at servers? I do like the 1U rackmount workstation above though.

Advertisement