Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet speed in UCD?

Options
  • 26-08-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Just wondering :D

Also theres no sites blocked on the internet like facebook, pirate bay etc, is there?

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

Well, I can think of one site that ucd is blocked from accessing..

Don't think anything in particular is restricted. Ports on wavelan will be closed meaning torrents won't work.

Don't hog a computer room pc with Facebook during busy hours, some people have actual work to do.

UCD pr0n cyber police will backtrace you if you look at naughty pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

I got 13mb up and 10mb down using eduroam network today. Nice!!
    Facebook works ok (if you use it in the library during exam week I will insert words into your paper when you go to the toilet)and so does piratebay, but the port for utorrent is blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Whats the speeds like on campus or is there even wlan on campus?

Wlan is slow enough. I haven't actually tested the speed but it feels like 1Mb - 3Mb.

You can get ethernet connections in the library and some other places on campus which are very quick. You've to set up the ethernet with UCD IT Services before they'll allow you on, and they'll require you to use a certain AV, so Linux is out of the question if you're going to plug in.

There's also eduroam wlan in the computer science building. You need the password (I think they give it to CS students) and it's apparently quite decent, as one of the posters already said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

stop wrote: »

UCD pr0n cyber police will backtrace you if you look at naughty pictures.

Nought wrong with a bit of flesh now is there? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

You can get ethernet connections in the library and some other places on campus which are very quick. You've to set up the ethernet with UCD IT Services before they'll allow you on, and they'll require you to use a certain AV, so Linux is out of the question if you're going to plug in.

That has not been the case in my experience. They require Windows users to have an AV installed and encourage to use Sophos. However, I successfully registered my MacBook using the Ethernet Access application form. The first time you connect a new device via Ethernet, a UCD page requesting the device's MAC address will come up and then you just have to wait for an IT Admin to approve it - takes about a day or two.
    I'd say it's no different for Linux.

Regarding Eduroam - over the summer they expanded the network to most parts of the campus. Instructions on how to connect are available at the link above.
    The username and password are your Student number and Connect password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hoku wrote: »
    That has not been the case in my experience. They require Windows users to have an AV installed and encourage to use Sophos. However, I successfully registered my MacBook using the Ethernet Access application form. The first time you connect a new device via Ethernet, a UCD page requesting the device's MAC address will come up and then you just have to wait for an IT Admin to approve it - takes about a day or two.
    I'd say it's no different for Linux.

Regarding Eduroam - over the summer they expanded the network to most parts of the campus. Instructions on how to connect are available at the link above.
    The username and password are your Student number and Connect password.

You'd be right

Cheers for that. That's great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

no torrents on ucd internet. And steam and psn are disabled too last time i checked

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

no torrents on ucd internet. And steam and psn are disabled too last time i checked
    Torrents and Steam are allowed on eduroam (not sure about PSN, never tried). Thing is, if you torrent then you're at risk of having your MAC address blocked. Hasn't happened to anyone I know so far, but still something to be wary of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Torrents and Steam are allowed on eduroam (not sure about PSN, never tried). Thing is, if you torrent then you're at risk of having your MAC address blocked. Hasn't happened to anyone I know so far, but still something to be wary of.

It happened to one guy in my year and he constantly tried to use it as an excuse in labs "herp derp cant do the labs without the notes/whatever"

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Torrents are most often used for distributing pirated content, so it's understandable why one might get kicked off the network for torrenting. I got booted once... Except the content was perfectly legitimate - I wanted to try ChromeOS, and the torrent gave much better speed than the HTTP mirror. Managed to regain access in a day or two.

Steam works without issues on Eduroam, so I see no reason why PSN would be any different. I purchased and installed BF2 about a year ago :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Yeah it'll hit about 10 megabytes a second from Steam. You'll get noticed if you're pulling down a lot of data though

whats the story with xbox live? can you access it throuh campus wlan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Definitely not through WaveLAN, and probably not through eduroam, though I've never tested it (Don't think Xbox supports the wireless security type)

OSI wrote: »
    You would likely have to use your laptop as bridge

what would that en-tale?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jandek

please say mediafire isn't blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

jandek wrote: »
    please say mediafire isn't blocked.

Wouldn't they have to block port 80 to block that?

Yeah.. I doubt it's blocked.

Connect Laptop to Eduroam via Wi-Fi, connect X-Box to Laptop with ethernet cable, and enable internet connection sharing..

It's not that easy. I do this at home through my MacBook and I had to manually config the xbox with a static IP address and everything. So I needed the inet address, router IP, laptop IP, etc. And if you have a dynamic IP on the campus WLAN then you might have to change it every time you connect :\ (I have static at home).

Why would you have to set it up manually? You PC/Mac (I've done both) should provide the Xbox with an IP, Router, DNS address automatically.

Auto has never worked for me and i've never heard of it working for anybody else..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 mc_teo

Yeah it'll hit about 10 megabytes a second from Steam. You'll get noticed if you're pulling down a lot of data though

define a lot? 120 GB/month? I have used ~60GB/month (and paid through the nose for it), but I'm limited to 25GB/month here on three (only thing I can use here in the sticks)

and I couldn't wait for unencumbered interwebz :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I thought I might just ask here, what kind of speeds are people getting these days? I can't even seem to get 1mb download at the best of times, anywhere on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Eathrin wrote: »
    I thought I might just ask here, what kind of speeds are people getting these days? I can't even seem to get 1mb download at the best of times, anywhere on campus.

I only use Eduroam but I've never dropped below about ~3mb/s up and down. Depends what your doing mainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

It's been woeful for me lately. I've occasionally been in the library and had to tether my laptop to my 3G in order to browse at all. Sometimes the signal disappears for about 5 minutes at a time. Anyone else having more problems recently?

Exams coming up puts ludicrous strain on the system. My advice, as always, avoid the library.Even having a laptop idle on the network puts strain on the wireless for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

That's quite true. Has it always been this bad? I seem to remember much better connectivity couple of years ago. Is it all the iphones and androids maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭n2o

Seems fine to me....

2651484718.png

n2o wrote: »
    Seems fine to me....

2651484718.png

What server were you using? UCD sits on HEAnet so anything in Ireland would give a slewed result.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭n2o

ironclaw wrote: »
    What server were you using? UCD sits on HEAnet so anything in Ireland would give a slewed result.

Eircom but for the craic, here's Vodafone UK based in London.

2651722963.png

• Advertisement

Yes ethernet speeds are fine

2651726860.png

I'd imagine Eathrin is referring to Wifi speeds.

Advertisement