Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet speed in UCD?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭n2o

I'd imagine Eathrin is referring to Wifi speeds.

No doubt but that's a capacity issue. Wireless speeds are always going to be an issue in busy areas.

While I'm at it here's my WiFi connection (WaveLAN)

2651748549.png

n2o wrote: »
    No doubt but that's a capacity issue. Wireless speeds are always going to be an issue in busy areas.

Yes we know. We're just wondering if there is a particular strain on wifi right now compared to usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Wifi will always be slower no matter what. I never understood however why social media isn't blocked around exam time especially in the library. Granted people collaborate on facebook but its not essential for study. I'd suggest YouTube blocking but their are pretty decent tutorials on their.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Wifi will always be slower no matter what. I never understood however why social media isn't blocked around exam time especially in the library. Granted people collaborate on facebook but its not essential for study. I'd suggest YouTube blocking but their are pretty decent tutorials on their.

Bebo used to blocked back in the day for a while. Then people used proxies to access it so they stopped bothering to block it. They know the same will happen if they try with Facebook/Youtube so they don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ethernet cable is pretty much essential if you're going to be using the internet in the library. Painfully slow on Wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Yes, I was referring to wi-fi (mostly eduroam as WaveLan has a tough time trusting my laptop) and the library seems to be the worst culprit for slow speeds.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Yes, I was referring to wi-fi (mostly eduroam as WaveLan has a tough time trusting my laptop) and the library seems to be the worst culprit for slow speeds.

It's the busiest area. As AdamD said, wired connection is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I was over in vet building tis morning, and the wifi was still ridiculous.

just annoying running around looking for sockets when you're outside a library.

I was over in vet building tis morning, and the wifi was still ridiculous.

just annoying running around looking for sockets when you're outside a library.

Don't know the vet building that well but from what I recall it's a bit of a concrete maze. Unless you're in the same room as the base station the signal is going to be weakened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So where's the best place outside library for better speeds then? I wouldn't even know where to look for ethernet sockets in Lib, god knows finding sockets is hard enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

So where's the best place outside library for better speeds then? I wouldn't even know where to look for ethernet sockets in Lib, god knows finding sockets is hard enough.

Most of the plug sockets in the library have ethernet sockets beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Rather than start a new thread I thought it best to post here. Anybody had any luck getting on PSN? It was working a few days ago all day but other than that it seems to be blocked. Anyone tried bridging a connection from their laptop ?(either eduroam or ucd wireless). Don't have a working Ethernet cable here myself to try it out unfortunately.

Advertisement