Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€500-€1000 budget - which 40-50" TV?

• 26-08-2011 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am hoping someone can give me some guidance here. I'm in the market for a TV. Criteria as follows;

Screen Size: 45-50"
    Resolution: Full HD (can someone refresh my memory..is that 1080p or 1080i?)
    Refresh Rate: - need guidance on this...no idea
    LCD/LED/Plasma: - need guidance on this...no idea (have never experienced LED yet....nor plasma).
    Other Features: Wifi/Ethernet would be good...I guess not necessarily 'must have's'.
    DVB-T in-built receiver - essential
    3D - Really don't know how worthwhile this is? Would love to get some balanced opinions on it. Doesn't the fact that I wear specs anyway make it a bit messy? ...that's assuming it's even worth it in the first place? IF it is worthwhile, I see the term '3D ready' ....is this the same scenario we had a couple of years ago with 'HD ready' (i.e. not really the full feature?)? I get the feeling it's a gimmick?

Once I establish some more of the above, I'm looking for the best bang for my € within that price-range mentioned in the post title - so suggestions are welcome.

One other aspect that interests me - manufacturer refurbished - has anyone gone down this road? Is it worthwhile? Are the savings significant enough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

1080p is what your looking for. If you want the tv for movies I would go for a plasma. If your a gamer I'd go for an LCD. Samsung have some nice LCDs sets in your budget range and Panasonic for Plasmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    1080p is what your looking for. If you want the tv for movies I would go for a plasma.
    Movies and sport...probably with more of a bias these days towards the former rather than the latter.
    Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If your a gamer I'd go for an LCD.
    Definitely not a gamer.

As regards, 3D - do most folks agree that it's all hype and no substance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭babsybaby01

If you are wall mounting it over a fire you will have to go with LCD because the heat will mess up the gas in the plasma screen which means it will be binned

If you are wall mounting it over a fire you will have to go with LCD because the heat will mess up the gas in the plasma screen which means it will be binned
    Interesting. I won't be wall mounting it - but it may be positioned close-ish to a solid fuel stove (although it's not being used right now - it may be used in the future). I wonder if this is still a factor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Makeorblake Philips have a good 9000 series 42 inch LED tv at 999,or will in the next few weeks they were discussing it at the trade shows. I don't know if that's too small but it's good,3D ready,internet tv,400 hz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Oh and ambi light. I'm a big fan of it

Hi all. I've come to the conclusion that this is the TV that best suits me;

LINK

The only thing that remains is to find the best possible price on it. Can anyone suggest any good online traders I could try for pricing purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Hi

Im looking for a 42inch Led Full HD TV

Would love to hear some suggestions.

Regards

Iba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭steve_r

Hi,

Also looking to make a purchase soon, would appreciate feedback advice in relation to:
    • Where to purchase Online/real world
    • 3D - worth it?

steve_r wrote: »
    Hi,

Also looking to make a purchase soon, would appreciate feedback advice in relation to:
    • Where to purchase Online/real world
    • 3D - worth it?

Steve,

Look at them in the real world and then purchase online coz more than likely it is cheaper. see www.amazon.co.uk or www.directtvs.co.uk

IMO 3d is not worth it (yet)

Regards

Iba

• Advertisement

iba wrote: »
    i can't see it being such a great feature. I read up a bit on it and there is 3D technology being developed that wouldn't require those bloody glasses. Maybe (and that's just maybe) it will be a good feature to have then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭steve_r

iba wrote: »
    Steve,

Look at them in the real world and then purchase online coz more than likely it is cheaper. see www.amazon.co.uk or www.directtvs.co.uk

Regards

Iba

Cheers Iba, any thoughts on pixmania.ie? I like the size cause it lets me filter, and points out the important differences, buth I dunno where it ranks on price

steve_r wrote: »
    Cheers Iba, any thoughts on pixmania.ie? I like the size cause it lets me filter, and points out the important differences, buth I dunno where it ranks on price

Pixmania are a fine company but as far as I know are now part of teh same group as Dixons and Currys etc but they r fine to do business with - check them out by all means but I reckon amazon or directtvs willcme in cheaper

Regards

Iba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭branners69

Hey,

did you get the G30 in the end? I am in the market for a 50" and am looking at the G30. Am a bit worried from some reviews which say it is fine in dark rooms but for brighter rooms then the GT30 is the better TV?

Branners

Hi Branners. I decided to hold off - that really, I didn't need such a TV - as my 32" is perfectly fine for my needs right now.

Thanks for the reply, I think I will be going for the 50" GT30 but just have to get the best price now!

branners69 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I think I will be going for the 50" GT30 but just have to get the best price now!
    Maybe you can post back what your experience is if/when you get it? As it was not long out, was little in the way of 'deals' on it - back then. What sort of prices have you found thus far?

I got a case of buyers remorse - before I actually clicked on the 'buy' button ...must be all the negativity around at the moment!

Maybe you can post back what your experience is if/when you get it? As it was not long out, was little in the way of 'deals' on it - back then. What sort of prices have you found thus far?

I got a case of buyers remorse - before I actually clicked on the 'buy' button ...must be all the negativity around at the moment!

Prices range from €1300 to €1800 with a deal on blu ray & glasses etc.

With the 2% Vat increase coming I had better order sooner rather than later!

If I remember I will post back, but there are 4 threads on avforums about the GT30, that's over 3500 pages!

Advertisement