Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

25km

• 26-08-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Just new to cycling,what would be generally accepted as a good time for 25km on standard country roads,few hills but nothing major

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

pauldoo wrote: »
    Just new to cycling,what would be generally accepted as a good time for 25km on standard country roads,few hills but nothing major

What kind of bike?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

What kind of bike?

trek 1.1 racer

i think that's model anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If you're beginning from zero I would say try do it in an hour and work from there. Flattish 25km I would do in about 50 to 55 minutes but I'm no speed demon.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

If you're beginning from zero I would say try do it in an hour and work from there. Flattish 25km I would do in about 50 to 55 minutes but I'm no speed demon.

thanks captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

As captain Havoc said aim for an hour to start with but don't get hung up on your speed/ time for that trip. Focus more on your cadence (leg speed) and try and develop a smooth pedalling style. I see too many beginners horsing too big a gear with their legs/knees all over the place. Keep the gears low and spin, it is better for your workout and your knees. You could test yourself on that 25km stretch every month to see how you are progressing. Above all enjoy yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Yep i agree with sy, just go out and enjoy a few cycles, stay away from the big gears and work on a decent cadence and feeling comfortable on your bike, fitness and speed comes later. Enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Hows it going lad,
    just started myself, agree with all posters. i did 26km loop in about 1hr 3mins. over last few weeks have done 50km in 1hr 55min, keeping up high reps is great advice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

If just starting out cycling recently, I'd say around 60 mins would be a very decent time. It also depends what level of fitness you have. When I started back cycling about 3 years ago, I would have been delighted with an average of 25km per hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If you're not very fit then 20kph will be a grand speed for just starting out. You'll find yourself going 25kph in no time though.

Advertisement