Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vets & Cruelty Cases - Opinions needed please.

• 26-08-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭

As some here will know I am disappointed in the number of cruelty cases that never get prosecuted. I have been trying to determine if there is any cause that might be rectified & one has emerged.

Impeccable sources have confirmed my suspicion that Irish Vets can be extremely reluctant to give evidence in cruelty cases. As you can imagine good Vet evidence is critical, so much so that it dictates whether a case will proceed to Court.

I have been told that it is particularly a problem in rural areas where vets fear that their business would be adversely affected if they are seen to be fraternising with “the cruelty man”. One Vet treating an ill treated pony said that the owner should be prosecuted but refused to "get involved" himself.

So would you be put off your Vet if you found out that they were giving supporting evidence in a cruelty case ? Would you be concerned about the suspicion that your Vet might be wondering if injuries are the result of cruelty ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Discodog wrote: »
    So would you be put off your Vet if you found out that they were giving supporting evidence in a cruelty case ? Would you be concerned about the suspicion that your Vet might be wondering if injuries are the result of cruelty ?

I certainly would not be put off my Vet if they were giving evidence to protect animals who were being mistreated.

I would always explain situations to the vet (if one of the dogs hurt themselves etc.) and I would trust that they would know me, and believe me.
    However should they feel they had reason to contact someone about me, and I was then visited/animals checked I wouldn't feel 'oh god I'm not going back to that vet' - I would understand the need to investigate reports and if I was innocent I would obviously prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Definitely not - imo if anything it'd show that they have the compassion I'd expect a vet to have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

My hubby has prosecuted a few cruelty cases but always got a Dept. of Agriculture vet in to inspect & prosecute
    I thought this would have been standard practice??
    Or is it because the cases involved livestock as opposed to pets?
    Not sure I'll ask him later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

No definitely not. Even if they had suspicion about my pet's injuries (well theoretical injuries) so long as they went about it the right way I wouldn't be too put off if they wanted to investigate more how they were gotten, so long as I had nothing to hide I think it shows they care and would like to think that by following up on a few genuine cases they may find a few non-genuine cases where convictions will result.

I can see how in small rural areas vets would be reluctant to talk, talk spreads fast and it wouldn't take long for rumours to spread and get out of control, and at the end of the day they are running a business. So I can see it from their point of view but that said I would still like to see reports of cruelty being followed up on with convictions.

Discodog you've experience of that sort of thing in England? Would it happen a lot that a vet would get involved in a cruelty case and subsequently lose business to the point of having to shut down or set up elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Absolutely not in fact i think a vet that cares that much can only be a good thing.

I was in my vets the other week when the vet walked through the waiting room and said "bloody hell what have you been doing to them now" i just laughed and said "shut up don't say it like that" the other person in there said afterwards they'd have been horrified. I happen to know my vet very well and took it as the joke it was intended as but can see how it might have looked bad to someone else. I had already joked with nurse i was sticking a reserved sign on the chair as in 2 weeks we'd had a lump removed, 2 lots of xrays, and a case of lameness :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

angelfire9 wrote: »
    My hubby has prosecuted a few cruelty cases but always got a Dept. of Agriculture vet in to inspect & prosecute
    I thought this would have been standard practice??
    Or is it because the cases involved livestock as opposed to pets?
    Not sure I'll ask him later

The County Vet would be a possible solution but, as far as I know, they only deal with livestock. Also an Inspector would have to take an injured animal to the nearest Vet. Is your hubby an Inspector - feel free to PM me the answer ;)
    Zapperzy wrote: »
    Discodog you've experience of that sort of thing in England? Would it happen a lot that a vet would get involved in a cruelty case and subsequently lose business to the point of having to shut down or set up elsewhere?

No. They would be more likely to win business as they would be perceived as compassionate. A prosecution doesn't just protect the animal involved as it deters others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

The County Vet would be a possible solution but, as far as I know, they only deal with livestock. Also an Inspector would have to take an injured animal to the nearest Vet. Is your hubby an Inspector - feel free to PM me the answer ;)

No. They would be more likely to win business as they would be perceived as compassionate. A prosecution doesn't just protect the animal involved as it deters others.

My husband is a Garda :D
    He deals with a rural area where like you've said alot of local vets don't like to get involved so the Dept. of Agriculture send out inspectors when the Gardai ask them to
    That seems to be the way things are done in Clare though :confused:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/elderly-woman-guilty-of-appalling-cruelty-to-cattle-and-dogs-on-farm-291231.html

Please note the prosecuting Garda in this case ^^ is not my husband!! :)

Advertisement