Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mature student wanting to do primary teaching

• 26-08-2011 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can someone please help me. I am a mature student (23) and i have reciently sat the leaving cert in june as an adult. my intention was to progress to college and do a B.ed in any of the teaching colleges. however i recieved a D1 in irish and i am now getting my paper re-checked. i wanted to go to college as a mature student for teaching, but due to my irish i recieved no offers from the CAO. my question is does anyone know what my next step sould be???? if my irish doesnt go up to a C3 i am willing to repeat and apply again next year. does any1 know of any level 5/6 courses that would benifit my entry into a teaching college next year????? as i don't want to just sit around for a year when i could be doing someting useful to progress to college. i have contacted UCD and trinity but they have only giving me info on postgrad, but i have no degree. anyone with any info for me would be a great help as i really don't know what my next step should be.:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

You will need a C3 in Irish for entry into a B.Ed or postgrad, no matter what entry route you take. Either a C3 or a pass in first year Arts Irish. So unless you get upgraded you'll definitely have to repeat next year.

Other alternatives would be going to England to train, where you won't need the Irish requirement. But that's really only kicking the canna Gaeilge down the road, because you'll have other Irish exams to pass then on returning.

Had you done the interviews for mature entry? Any work with children should stand to you for those interviews if you have to do them again next year (e.g. coaching, camps, classroom observation etc). I'm not sure of any particular courses you could take, but others may be able to suggest some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kiki20

thanks for the reply dambarude. I was scheluded for an intervied in st.Pats, but there was a mix up with my application through a fault of my own, and i never attended the interview. I am strongly thinking of doin a UAC course for the year and also repeat Irish if i'm not upgraded. I don't know if doing a UAC course would benifit me on my application to a B.Ed. if anyone else with info about a UAC and if doing it would help me, it would be a great help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kobiog

You could also do the TEG level B2 exam for the Irish requirement. Exam is in April 2012. Most classes starting next week. look www.teg.ie for information. This exam is accepted in all primary teaching classes

Advertisement