Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives

Options
  • 26-08-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

I know some people will prob be going mad at this buuut... does anybody know of any easy-ish electives I could take? I got great ones last year and it took so much worry away from the final exams.

Anybody any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I did Earth, Environment & Society last year. Was reaalllly boring but the assessment was just an MCQ for the midterm and another MCQ for the final. Human health & disease is supposed to be good I think.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Introductory Statistics (STAT10010) - fairly easy, good lecturer, and a good knowledge of statistics is always useful no matter what your degree program, especially those involving research and studies, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Relativistic Quantum Mechanics sounds easy enough.

Davidius wrote: »
    Relativistic Quantum Mechanics sounds easy enough.

lol'd before realising Intro Quantum Mechanics is core for me this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I say this a lot, but one person's easy module does not translate to being universally easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Cognitive Science - COMP20090 (I think!) Interesting and relatively easy. No knowledge of science necessary :) 40% short question midterm exam (Most my class came out of that with 60% of the marks or higher... Final is essay questions... only need to be about a page and a half long and reasonably predictable... 3 of them if memory serves... Easiest A I've ever had in my life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Introductory Statistics (STAT10010) - fairly easy, good lecturer, and a good knowledge of statistics is always useful no matter what your degree program, especially those involving research and studies, etc.

Tim, I am not having a go at you but people should know you do a maths based degree and you are good at maths.

I know too many people who did that module last year because it is now a mandatory / core module for Sociology and they raved about it. They said the lecturer was shít, it was confusing and very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

unknown13 wrote: »
    Tim, I am not having a go at you but people should know you do a maths based degree and you are good at maths.

I know too many people who did that module last year because it is now a mandatory / core module for Sociology and they raved about it. They said the lecturer was shít, it was confusing and very hard.

One class even had a class party the night of that exam because they never would have to do the module again.

I thought it is only fair I give my account about what I have heard about the module in question.
    did this last year - only because I had to! Managed to get a B+ but most people failed! Lectures awful! Gave up going - decided to teach myself - asked questions in lectures and was not helped in anyway! Would not advise anyone to do this unless it's a core and you have no choice or maths is really really your thing!

Who lectured STAT10010 last year? It looks like a useful module to me, for students in politics and social science, say, or something similar, who want a taste of stats.

If it was Dr. Gormley, the module co-ordinator, who took the lectures then I'm surprised. I had her before and she was very clear. One of the better stats lecturers in the college.

Is it at all possible that the students were just thrown by having to do stats at all, in a course where they didn't expect to see so many numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Has anybody any idea if theres a WW2 module offered? I've looked but can't find one :(

• Advertisement

Theres Nazi Germany HIS20820. Probably the closest, it's a level 2 history module.

Your best bets look like Modern Europe (not really that relevant) and Nazi Germany (a bit more specific than you might have been looking for).

As for easy electives, they don't come much easier than:
    Social Computing and Media.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

Does anyone know when Elective Reg opens?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

flag123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when Elective Reg opens?

Thanks!

29th which is Monday coming!

Conor108 and Conorstuff, I'm not doing a history related course in anyway I just absolutely love WW2 stuff, do you think they'd be awfully hard considering? I've read Mein Kampf and other books but that's about the extent of it!

aine92 wrote: »
    29th which is Monday coming!

Conor108 and Conorstuff, I'm not doing a history related course in anyway I just absolutely love WW2 stuff, do you think they'd be awfully hard considering? I've read Mein Kampf and other books but that's about the extent of it!

I'm doing astro so I've never done a history module, couldn't tell you if it's difficult! Theres no requirements for that module anyway, did you do history for the leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

What's the intro to Astronomy module like?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

Has anybody any idea if theres a WW2 module offered? I've looked but can't find one :(

GER20030 is a really good module about Nazi Germany, and its pretty basic, although I know that's subjective :rolleyes: But if you've done Leaving Cert History you should definetly get at least a B+.
    Assesment is one 10 min presentation worth 30%, topics include Nazi Propaganda, Roots of Nazi Ideology, Mein Kampf, Hitler's Foreign Policy etc etc. Then there's two in class exams at the end of the year, 1 hour each, and they're based on everyones presentation so you're guaranteed a question on your topic and then you can just learn off whichever other presentation you found interesting! (2 questions in total!) And although its a German module its taught through English so anyone can do it!

http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

unknown13 wrote: »

Who lectured STAT10010 last year? It looks like a useful module to me, for students in politics and social science, say, or something similar, who want a taste of stats.

If it was Dr. Gormley, the module co-ordinator, who took the lectures then I'm surprised. I had her before and she was very clear. One of the better stats lecturers in the college.

Is it at all possible that the students were just thrown by having to do stats at all, in a course where they didn't expect to see so many numbers?

That module is nearly all theory - there's very little maths in it, just a small bit near the end! If you wanted the maths side of statistics, take STAT10050 (Intro to Statistical Modelling) and STAT10060 (Statistical Modelling) as your electives. Anyone who is doing a degree that involves research need to know about the basics of statistics - how to get representative data, how statistics can be misused, and of course a knowledge of correlation and the basics of hypothesis tests come into play - I doubt there's a degree program in UCD which doesn't involve stats, even at a very basic level. Even if you don't have to do the research yourself, you need to know how to analyse data properly, and if given things like the mean/median/mode/standard deviation etc., what do these actually mean and are they useful at summarising the data!

And I thought the lecturer was very good - Conor it was Dr. Claire Gormley, and she was excellent at explaining things - better than the lecturers I had for my core stat modules!

I think what threw some people off who weren't expecting numbers was the computer labs. We had to do a few things with R (this is freeware statistical software) - it backs up the learning you do in class, because in 'real life', nearly all statistics is done on computer. However, people found this difficult, even after the lecturer holding extra lab sessions, so she cancelled the lab exam and made lab attendance optional (needless to say this resulted in a huge decrease in lab attendance) and made the mid-term assignment worth double. The mid-term assignment was just a short essay, critically analysing a survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

This isn't specifically WWII but it has quite a bit about it in it. Its a good course though a fair amount of work. If you are interested in it though you'll do fine. I got a B+ in it.

20th Century War and Peace: International History 1914-1991 (HIS20560)
    Credits 5 Subject History
    Level 2 School History & Archives
    Semester Semester One Module Coordinator Dr William Mulligan

This module offers a survey of international history in the twentieth century. We start with the outbreak of World War I in 1914 and move chronologically towards the end of the Cold War and beyond. Particular emphasis is given to the three great conflicts of the century - World War I, World War II, and the Cold War, as well as the shifting balance of power in Europe and Asia. In seminars you will be asked to explore the controversial debates that surround this period. Special prominence is given to the policies of the Great Powers, and the major ideological, cultural, and economic forces that shaped these policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Anyone know of any good music modules that can be taken as electives? I used to study a bit of music theory and can play a few instruments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 virtus1

I'd like to take an elective in Women's Studies, but this year's modules don't seem to be listed on the site. Anyone know what's up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

This is probably a silly question.. but what do the levels mean? like when youre searching for a course?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This is probably a silly question.. but what do the levels mean? like when youre searching for a course?
    The level of difficulty. Within your programme you will generally be doing level 1 modules in first year, level 2 in second year and so on. With electives it doesn't really matter as long as there isn't any pre-requisites. Some people do level 3 electives in first year, but it's probably not very wise. So for this year it's probably best to stick to level 1 and 2 elective modules.

Thanks for the reply :) Its all very exciting isnt it? haha.. i think im going to go and look for help when registering all this stuff during the orientation week.. knowing me ill end up making a balls of it and hindering myself from doing something in later years!

Thanks for the reply :) Its all very exciting isnt it? haha.. i think im going to go and look for help when registering all this stuff during the orientation week.. knowing me ill end up making a balls of it and hindering myself from doing something in later years!

If you've any questions, the people in the Tierney building (directly across from the Arts building, linked by a bridge so you can't miss it) will be able to help, as will your program office! Just make sure you know who your program office is (e.g. Science, Arts) - I'm doing Actuarial Finance and a guy in Tierney couldn't decide whether I was Science or Business and eventually sent me to Quinn (the business school) - turns out I was science :o

Yes im definitely science, DN200 BBB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Has anyone done How the Earth Works?

It's a 1st year geology module for semester 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mc8755

Victoria. wrote: »
    Has anyone done How the Earth Works?

It's a 1st year geology module for semester 1.

Did it in semester one of first year, it's very easy. There's a bunch of Friday morning MCQ tests (or at least there was when I took it) which are nice, easy marks. The stuff you do is basically a little more than LC geography which I didn't do and still got an A in the module.

Anyone interested, take BMOL10030 (Science of Human Disease) as an elective. I couldn't take it because I did a similar outcome module, but it sounds incredibly easy and the co-ordinater Dr. Maguire is a great lecturer.

Anybody any suggestions for electives for a 3rd year Biochem who's freaked out enough by the amount of **** to learn this year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I always found the development studies modules relatively easy going and at the same time very interesting, would definitely recommend them.

Electives still are not first come first served during registration, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Just some questions about electives, going into first year..

Is Psychology of perception an interesting elective to do? Anyone do it that can reccomend it?

Also am doing both English and History. For English, there are four core modules which add up to 20 credits. In the modules, there are two modules I can do for English after this, Literary Genre ( loved this in 6th Year) and Coming of age narratives.. this would add up to 30 programme credits in English ( am I right?) and am wondering if I can do this.

In History there's only one core module with 4 options after that, so could I maybe do 3 modules in History, along with the core module, adding up to 20 credits, which would then be 50 programme credits.

And then, would I be correct in saying that you are offered 10 elective credits thereafter?Also is it true that after the 10th September that this is further extended to another 10 elective credits?

Thanks and sorry for long post but I just wanted it clarified.

Advertisement