Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Victoria. wrote: »
    I did it as my elective last semester and my main complaint would be the lectures. They were unbelievably bad. I had a lecture at 9 on Friday morning and then this at 1 and I have to say I hung around for it less than 5 times. One guy did a series of lectures and he was just so boring standing there with a 'I hate my job' face for the full 50 mins, not what you want on your happy Friday afternoon and I'm very interested in science :(

There was a midterm worth about 30% and then the final worth the remaining 70% or so and both exams were MCQ format with heavy negative marking. A lot of people suffered as they took too many chances and fell victim to the negative marking in the midterm. They learnt however how to estimate how much of a good idea it was to guess as a result and they all made it through the final exam much better.

Despite not going to most of the Friday lectures I managed an A+ overall so that was a lovely surprise. The online assignments are really what the exams were based around and I knew this from taking its sister module in semester 1 so I just did the assignments until I was blue in the face and it worked :D

It would be quite like the LC in the way that you learn off a load of information and then a memory test at the end.

+1 It was such a boring module. After the midterm I went to at most 5 lectures. I think on the survey for it I went with the hilarious "If I had an hour to live I'd spend it in this class because it feels like an eternity"

You can do well in it, you just need to stay awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Emzer92

Victoria. wrote: »
    It would be quite like the LC in the way that you learn off a load of information and then a memory test at the end.

Feck!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I also dont want to start a new thread. Does anyone know what the deal is with changing electives? Ive been confirmed in one of mine but ive come to the conclusion after researching my other first semester modules that the workload is too large to really make it a viable option. If i change now (or possibly a week from now to give it the benefit of the doubt) will it be held against me in any way?

Im going into third year so i want to be very careful about all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Hey there,

Can anyone tell me what ECON30160 (International Trade Economics) is like? I'm in science (3rd Physics) and I was thinking of taking it as an elective. I've taken some Econ modules as electives before, though I haven't taken Intermediate Microeconomics as is recommended, would that hinder my performance?

I was also considering doing Anarchy, Law & the State (PHIL30230) as an elective (I've developed a keen interest in libertarianism as of late).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Didnt get an elective I wanted so now im scrounging around looking for anything else... Ive ended up with 7 modules in semester 1 and only 4 in semester 2! Ridiculous.. The 2 electives im registered for are both semester 1, so im looking for an easy elective in semester 2? Anyone help me please?! Im starting to slightly freak out...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Keep an eye on the one you wanted. Someone might drop their place. I didn't get my preferred elective in the random allocation, but when I checked on Saturday evening there was a free space.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

im thinking of dropping one or two modules for some electives in semester 2. i was wondering if there any media/journalism electives? or maybe an easy computer one? oh im in 1st year btw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Computer science for engineers is a good first year module, it covers the basics of comp sci and is done through C.

I found it interesting and got an A+ in it, but I did it as an elective in 3rd year arts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

If you're a first year, my primary advice is to *do first year electives*. Yes, some do ones for higher levels and manage to do well, but you're really only putting undue pressure on yourself if you pick a level 2 or 3 module, and won't be compensated for it points wise.

I did 'Special Topic Introductory' LIBA10030 (http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm) in liberal arts this semester, and I couldn't recommend it more. It's about identity and myths of origins, and the material itself is fascinating- you learn about the founding myths and the creation of identity in regards to Spartans, Native Americans, the Irish, African-Americans etc. No end of semester exam, just write up notes every week and a 1,200 essay on a topic of your choice at the end. The lecturer, Louise Aitchison, is also brilliant- she's young, genuinely interested in class contribution, extremely helpful and encouraging and gives out lots of chocolate (:P).
    In this module we will analyse of the use of myth in identity formation. The module will examine the ways in which myths form an important part of self identity for groups, with particular focus on myths of origins and reputed homelands. Students will be introduced to the unifying themes of myth making as part of identity. The module will also provide an introduction to concepts of comparative mythology and the history of racial and ethnic identification based on origins. Students will study a range of examples, ancient to modern. Sources will include numismatics, folk tales, speeches, literature, pamphlets and examples of uses of civic space.

What will I learn?
    On completion of this module students will be able to: (1) Demonstrate knowledge of the key facets and trends of myth making as a part of identity formation.(2) Analyse constructions of identity formation.(3) Demonstrate critical understanding of the methods and intentions of myth making.(4) Plan and execute an analytical essay on a relevant chosen topic.(5) Manage and evaluate bibliographic resources and source materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 waspsting

bump.

any opinions on Intro to Entrepreneurial Endeavour module ?
    no written exam...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Any good film/ television modules people would reccomend? Did History of Television last year and really enjoyed it. What are other modules people have done outside their degree that they found interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mc8755

Any good film/ television modules people would reccomend? Did History of Television last year and really enjoyed it. What are other modules people have done outside their degree that they found interesting?

Did Film Sound: An Introduction in third year (two years ago) and it was great. The lectures are a double once a week and half of them are watching movies (good ones at that). The material is interesting to listen to and gets broken up by segments of movies to illustrate points. It was graded at the time based on an essay you hand in near the end of the module that was about comparing types of sound and how their impact changes between films (as far as I remember), and then a final exam which was an essay where you discussed the use sound in the areas of dialogue, music and sound effects and give examples of how they added to the movie's plot, character development, etc. There's also a whole section on the introduction of talkies and the development of Hollywood which wasn't examined but I found really interesting. I was a science major and snagged an A with decent effort on the essay and no outside study for the final exam. I'd definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

waspsting wrote: »
    bump.

any opinions on Intro to Entrepreneurial Endeavour module ?
    no written exam...

I cant find that one on course search, what the module code?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Any "handy" elective timetabled for a Monday and/or Wednesday in semester 1?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I cant find that one on course search, what the module code?

IA20020
    Seems to be part of the Innovation Academy. Wouldn't be sure if its open to undergrads.

Advertisement