Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭smndly

Are you allowed do as many Level 1 electives as possible or is there a limit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Electives still are not first come first served during registration, right?

Random allocation for all electives other than in-programme electives. So no need for people to be up cursing and swearing at 7am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

smndly wrote: »
    Are you allowed do as many Level 1 electives as possible or is there a limit?

There's a limit of 80 credits- the savvy student would have 1st year's 60 credits in level 1, then use their 20 credits over 2nd and 3rd year on easy level 1 electives. That said, it's more important that you actual enjoy and have an interest in what you're studying!

Random allocation for all electives other than in-programme electives. So no need for people to be up cursing and swearing at 7am!
    Thank fook! I wasn't sure, and need to work tomorrow, so this is good news!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Is there any way of seeing a list of in-programme electives?

I'm doing Actuarial and Financial Studies (BAFS), but I remember in first year there were no in-programme electives! Will it be the same for someone going into 2nd year?

And if you miss out on an elective due to random selection, does that mean you have to try and find a vacant elective even though most of them will be full?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Tomorrow? :\
    I still don't have a clue..

I'd rather not do any at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

so far im going to probly go for japanese, that geology one.. and the human disease one? but im still major confused.. gonna go for that stage 2 registration help during orientation week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Is Psychology of perception an interesting elective to do? Anyone do it that can reccomend it?

I did it and really liked it. AFAIR there was a MCQ mid term worth 40% and then a final 1 hour MCQ and some short questions at the end worth 60%. There were 3 tutorials which didn't have any attendance marks but were useful.

In relation to the rest of your post - make sure you do your core subjects. I'm surprised there is only one core History subject - though maybe what you mean is you have one core and then must to 3 additional options with it?

Are the Literary Genre module and the Coming of age narratives one both in the same semester? If they are you will be giving yourself a very heavy workload - doable of course but you might regret it a bit. Lots of reading required for History and English.

Anyway yes you are right - the 6 English subjects will give you 30 credits and the 4 History 20 credits. This will leave you with 10 for electives. I don't know anything about an extra electives from September 10th. I suspect what you may be talking about is that some courses offer extra places on them and you may be able to join one of them after that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Sorry but what does MCQ stand for? :S

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Sorry but what does MCQ stand for? :S

Multiple Choice Questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Laserhead

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before but where can you find what electives are available for 1st year arts? I'm totally lost on the website. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

mc8755 wrote: »
    Did it in semester one of first year, it's very easy. There's a bunch of Friday morning MCQ tests (or at least there was when I took it) which are nice, easy marks. The stuff you do is basically a little more than LC geography which I didn't do and still got an A in the module.

Anyone interested, take BMOL10030 (Science of Human Disease) as an elective. I couldn't take it because I did a similar outcome module, but it sounds incredibly easy and the co-ordinater Dr. Maguire is a great lecturer.

Seriously considering that geology one now if it slots in ok with my labs!

I definitely agree with you that Dr.Maguire is a great lecturer. I did Intro to Biochem or something along those lines last year and she was great. Makes it less stressful especially for a first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Emzer92

._. wrote: »
    Tomorrow? :\
    I still don't have a clue..

I'd rather not do any at this stage..

I think Regisrtration for 1st years isn't until Thursday, when we register for all modules: Core, Option and Elective.

That's what I gleaned from here anyway:

http://www.ucd.ie/incomingstudents/

Please please please, correct me if I'm wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Is there any way of seeing a list of in-programme electives?

I'm doing Actuarial and Financial Studies (BAFS), but I remember in first year there were no in-programme electives! Will it be the same for someone going into 2nd year?

And if you miss out on an elective due to random selection, does that mean you have to try and find a vacant elective even though most of them will be full?

1: Check the Science student handbook (it is probably online) and whatever modules you aren't doing as a core or option should be an in-programme elective AFAIK. Basically whatever modules you are not already doing. Although I actually haven't a clue about BAFS.
    2: See above!
    3: Yes. Then it is first come, first served.
    http://www.ucd.ie/students/electives.html

Thanks parker kent! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Anyone know what English is liking marking wise? Im looking at one for an elective but i'd be coming from pure archaeology so probably a very different style of writing is required. On top of that i can afford to take any risks with my GPA due to where it currently stands.

Can anyone advise me in that regard? Its the crime novel one, ENG30920.

Actually while im here does anyone know anything about the horror cinema module?

Is it a bad idea to do a Level 1 elective in 2nd year? If potential employers are looking at your subject list they might think that I'm purposely taking easier modules than I should be - it'll stand out amongst the Level 2 and Level 3 modules I'm doing in 2nd year!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Emzer92 wrote: »
    I think Regisrtration for 1st years isn't until Thursday, when we register for all modules: Core, Option and Elective.

That's what I gleaned from here anyway:

http://www.ucd.ie/incomingstudents/

Please please please, correct me if I'm wrong!
    No, you're right! Check here for all the registration dates in case you were wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Confused here..someone help me:P
    Going into 2nd year arts-
    Registered for 55 core credits at moment-
    25 in subject 1, 30 in subject 2
    Question is..do my final 5 credits have to be an elective in subject 1 this year or could I take a different elective now and make up that 5 credits next year?

Scratch that..when choosing in-programme electives..can you only choose the modules you didn't choose as cores?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I did it and really liked it. AFAIR there was a MCQ mid term worth 40% and then a final 1 hour MCQ and some short questions at the end worth 60%. There were 3 tutorials which didn't have any attendance marks but were useful.

In relation to the rest of your post - make sure you do your core subjects. I'm surprised there is only one core History subject - though maybe what you mean is you have one core and then must to 3 additional options with it?

Are the Literary Genre module and the Coming of age narratives one both in the same semester? If they are you will be giving yourself a very heavy workload - doable of course but you might regret it a bit. Lots of reading required for History and English.

Anyway yes you are right - the 6 English subjects will give you 30 credits and the 4 History 20 credits. This will leave you with 10 for electives. I don't know anything about an extra electives from September 10th. I suspect what you may be talking about is that some courses offer extra places on them and you may be able to join one of them after that date.

Hello Littlefriend ( Scarface?) Thanks for your post, was helpful! O.k that sounds good, did many people do the Physcology perception module last year or was it a small group? Would you reckon that it will fill up fast ?

No, just checked it there and the Literary Genre is in Semester Two, and Coming of Age Narratives in Semester One, thanks for that tip though, will certainly bear that in mind!

Yes, sorry, in History there is 1 core listed with the rest underneath offered as options, whereas in English it is simply listed one after the other

I dunno, I just heard after September 10th you may choose more electives, but would you have to pay for these? I was thinking of picking two film electives and then doing one biology and psycology one after that but don't want to give myself a massive workload and as you say, there's lots of reading for both english and history

Anyway, thanks for your post again really has made things way more clearer and means I won't be panicking like mad come Thursday! What did you do as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Laserhead wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked/answered before but where can you find what electives are available for 1st year arts? I'm totally lost on the website. :S

Here you can find all subjects and modules including all the levels and such.
    -
    https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/w_sm_web_inf_viewer_banner.program_list?p_website_mode=CONTINUING&p_term_code=201100

Took me a while to find it myself! But it's good to familarise it before Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

what time does it start

Whenever they want :P Usually 7.30ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Anyone else not able to get on?

Nope! UCD should throw a few more coals into the engine, how can they not see this coming?!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

I got one of my in programme electives anyway. From what I saw there was no choice of tutorials in core yet...which is bad if it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

No Response from Application Web Server

There was no response from the application web server for the page you requested.
    Please notify the site's webmaster and try your request again later.

COME ON UCD!!!!

The electives are definitely active, I was just about to choose an in-programme elective when I got an error, and had to sign in again from the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

I know it's counter productive, but for selfish reasons keep on refreshing. That's the reason it's broken but sure feck it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I can't even log in!!

In fairness I can't see my choice filling up quickly (Insurance Regulation) but I want to get sorted!!

Advertisement