Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

http://www.facebook.com/notes/ucd-registry/update-important-message-about-online-registration-mon-29-august-2011-at-910am/10150282040292513

Message from UCD : they're closing elective registration. All electives that have been registered since 7:30 are being cncelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Scatterbrain

Ah, UCD does it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Blay wrote: »

What? So I've been struggling for the past 2 hours finally got one elective and now it doesn't even count?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

Give me strength - gotta be an easier way than this

One of the top universities in Ireland - my a***

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I've been up since 6.30am and got both electives (after about 2 hours of effort) so now it's not even going to count? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

does that mean that the people who picked electives already have to pick them again? :O

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Zephyr91 wrote: »
    does that mean that the people who picked electives already have to pick them again? :O

Yes. I haven't a clue what we're paying two grand for, this is a disgrace.

I mean, it'll be even more likely to crash when it opens up again, as there'll now be more people online!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 shelly818

Well done UCD!! so i got up at 7 for nothing..

I'm just after explaining how to reg to my bro coz im in work in half an hour and wont have intenet access!! Gah!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

Does anyone know what time registration for first year modules and stuff opens on Thursday morning?? Don't want to get stuck with crap modules

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Does anyone know what time registration for first year modules and stuff opens on Thursday morning?? Don't want to get stuck with crap modules

I think it just opens whenever it opens. Best bet is to get up as early as possible.

• Advertisement

I checked my weekly lecture timetable, and sure enough, my electives have been removed. A bit unfair as one was first come first served with very few places!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

My elective is still showing up on mine

Chet T16 wrote: »
    My elective is still showing up on mine

One of my electives is showing in semester 2 (in programme), my other elective in semester 1 has disappeared (not in programme).

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Mine are gone.... It took me two hours to get them too and I was reasonably happy :( They better give us fair warning for elective reg reopening because if they just open it I'll be calling their idea of "equality" into question. I don't see why they bothered closing it to be honest it'll just crash again whenever they make us re-register...

For crying out loud! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I checked my weekly lecture timetable, and sure enough, my electives have been removed. A bit unfair as one was first come first served with very few places!

But thats the problem, people are not getting in on a first come, first serve basis they're getting in by sheer random luck as the server is f*cked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

But thats the problem, people are not getting in on a first come, first serve basis they're getting in by sheer random luck as the server is f*cked up.

Not really, if you sit and constantly refresh it'll eventually load up slowly, its not random

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

UCD's first fail of the year, I'm keeping a log of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Nah, they failed registration on the 17th too.. and accommadation now that I think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Estragon

Isn't this the second fail of the year? Module Registration on 17 August was a disaster; opened at 7:30 but was basically useless until mid afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Estragon

Nah, they failed registration on the 17th too.. and accommadation now that I think about it.

Snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I always thought electives weren't first come, first served. I thought you were provisionally registered until what ever date in September and then if a module is over-subscribed they give places by random selection?

Conor108 wrote: »
    I always thought electives weren't first come, first served. I thought you were provisionally registered until what ever date in September and then if a module is over-subscribed they give places by random selection?

That's true except when the module is an in-programme elective. They are first come first served, but once you have registered to it, it will say 'Confirmed' and not 'Provisional' - you don't need to wait until September 10th to see if you have a place, you definitely do if you register on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Ah thanks Tim, I was kinda confused! I'm just doing languages for both electives so they won't be in-programme for anyone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Good thing I never pick anything popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

I don't see why they didn't leave the out of program electives registered for well enough alone when they issue is the in program to be honest.... Just making more work for the servers to handle when we go to do it again!

New annoucement:
    Systems performance issues this morning led to our (i) stopping elective registration at 9.20am and (ii) removing the elective registrations which had taken place by this time.

What now?
    We will let the students who were online in SISWeb this morning between 7.25 and 9.20, many of whom had already chosen electives, back on line from Wednesday morning, 31 August. This is primarily to allow these students equality of access to in-programme elective places. Our tracking means we know exactly who these students are.

These students, and these students only, will be allowed choose their electives on Wednesday. On Tuesday 30th at 2pm they will receive a mail from us to their UCD Connect account with more details.

We will publish, by 2pm Wednesday 31st, the plans for elective access for all remaining continuing, and all new stage one, students.

Remember: 70% of electives taken are general electives. Provisional registration to general electives runs up to Friday 9th September: it does not matter when you register for a general elective up to that point so you will have plenty of time. Typically, 30% of electives are chosen after the start of lectures.

Check http://www.ucd.ie/students/registration.html for on-going details.

We apologise for all inconvenience caused by these issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Why were so many people up so early? Like the message above from UCD or my post yesterday says, far and away most electives are provisional until the 9th September. There is no need for the majority of people to be getting up at half 6 for something that can be done at any stage between now and September 9th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

First year i didn't get up early for this and now this :/ Hope all the good 3rd year eng in house electives aren't taken :(

Advertisement