Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

In the e-mail that was sent out to those who were up early, what time did it say in the e-mail? Mine says 8am - I'm wondering if this is for everybody or whether they are trying to stagger the times based on degree area (e.g. science, psychology, etc., where there might not be an overlap in in-programme electives)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

In the e-mail that was sent out to those who were up early, what time did it say in the e-mail? Mine says 8am - I'm wondering if this is for everybody or whether they are trying to stagger the times based on degree area (e.g. science, psychology, etc., where there might not be an overlap in in-programme electives)

Im at 1130, and was online since like 6 that morning, theres 25 places left in my in programme elective i want! hoping i get it now! Times must be allocated to different programmes i would imagine then!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I got 1pm for science

I was online really early too so it must be by degree area instead of how early you logged in originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I got 1pm too, i'm in engineering.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Is there any way of viewing how many spaces are available for electives in a particular module?

I'm stuck between two modules (MIS10010 Quantitative Analysis for Business and MATH20060 Calculus of Several Variables) - the second is an in-programme elective, so if I manage to secure it I won't have to worry about random selection. I'm worried that if I don't get the second, I'll find it very difficult to find any elective as most of them will be full (and most of the modules that I want to do have a schedule conflict in some way or another).

Does anyone have any experience of either?

• Advertisement

A guy in my class (2nd BAFS) has his registration time at 1pm, and I have mine at 8am - in the same class?

So I wonder what they're basing it on - maybe it's time that you first logged in. Hardly seems like "equality of access" that UCD were citing as the reason they rolled people back.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mc8755

2.30pm for Biochemistry and I didn't get into SIS until about 8 o'clock...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I didnt even get an email - and I was logged in at the crack of dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

A guy in my class (2nd BAFS) has his registration time at 1pm, and I have mine at 8am - in the same class?

Doesn't seem all that fair?

:( I just hope I get my electives as they're in programme electives, the reason I made an effort to get up so early

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Haven't got a clue......
    I'm going to have to ring them tomorrow.

I know which 3 I want/need to take (I think), but I haven't got a clue about anything else.
    If it wasn't for Boards idk if I'd even know optional module reg is tomorrow :\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

I'm 8am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

._. wrote: »
    Haven't got a clue......
    I'm going to have to ring them tomorrow.

I know which 3 I want/need to take (I think), but I haven't got a clue about anything else.
    If it wasn't for Boards idk if I'd even know optional module reg is tomorrow :\

Optional module reg? :confused: Elective registration re-opens tomorrow. Option modules registration has been open for continuing stages (most courses by this stage I imagine) as part of core/option registration for a while.

Also 3 modules? What do you mean? You can only take 2 electives.

I think people need to take more responsibility for their own registration. These dates have been published for months. They have been posted on here countless times over the summer as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

So I wonder what they're basing it on - maybe it's time that you first logged in. Hardly seems like "equality of access" that UCD were citing as the reason they rolled people back.

They're still gonna be provisional until the whatever date though, and if they didn't base it on initial sign in, people who got up at the crack of dawn to grab in-programme electives would be pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Does it really matter when you registered for the electives? I mean they are only provisional and it's all the luck of the draw if you get them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Raphael wrote: »
    They're still gonna be provisional until the whatever date though, and if they didn't base it on initial sign in, people who got up at the crack of dawn to grab in-programme electives would be pissed off.

That's the problem - they obviously didn't base it on initial sign in. I was up at 6 (wasn't open), and then 7 (wasn't open), then 7.45 (open but not working properly) and my allocation is 13:00. It's all a bit silly. Not surprised though, UCD have pretty awful services for a college of it's size. Never envisioned having so many problems with a college like UCD but alas, their online services are truly terrible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Does it really matter when you registered for the electives? I mean they are only provisional and it's all the luck of the draw if you get them or not.

Unless you want to do in-programme ones.

Meh in anycase anytime I have wanted to do an elective that was full on SISWEB all I had to do was visit the programme office and they let me in without very much hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

moneyman wrote: »
    That's the problem - they obviously didn't base it on initial sign in. I was up at 6 (wasn't open), and then 7 (wasn't open), then 7.45 (open but not working properly) and my allocation is 13:00. It's all a bit silly. Not surprised though, UCD have pretty awful services for a college of it's size. Never envisioned having so many problems with a college like UCD but alas, their online services are truly terrible.
    Server overload happens. Given that they only endure this level of load once a year, it's forgiveable for things to go wrong. They could buy a ****ton more servers, but 11 months a year they wouldn't need them, and then people would be complaining about them wasting money on computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Raphael wrote: »
    moneyman wrote: »
    Server overload happens. Given that they only endure this level of load once a year, it's forgiveable for things to go wrong. They could buy a ****ton more servers, but 11 months a year they wouldn't need them, and then people would be complaining about them wasting money on computers.
    Agreed.

I think UCD need to somehow outsource the registration system so they can meet the demand in August. Tbh I'm fed up of their IT systems in general, they have failed in some way every year since I was in first year, i'm now in fourth year.

And their accommodation system... equally useless.

For a university that has talented computer science graduates you would think they might somehow get their act together or realise it just doesn't work instead of hoping it won't crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ddddddd

Dont want to spam but I'm too confused about electives and don't wanna mess up when registering tomorrow.

I tried to register to a psychology module and a politics module. The politics one said provisional and i got to pick tutorials and stuff but the psychology one said ' contact school office' . Does that mean its full? Don't wanna waste time wondering about it and let all the other interesting ones fill up..

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

I got 2.30 PM :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

Got in this morning and still couldnt see any electives! Changed my browser and there they were, relief!

I notice that the electives tab has now dissappeard entirely for me.

:/

It was the same for me until my time of 08.00, then it reappeared. They state the electives tab won't open for you unless you log in at your specified time, refreshing the page won't make it appear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

Change your browser, worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 doly

But I am now showing as Provisional for an in-house elective that had spare places. It was a confirmed slot on Monday before they shut down registration. I thought in-house electives were either confirmed or unavailable. Isn't that the point of first come, first served.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

What a load of crap, i logged into SIS and the electives page was missing so i used the URL of the electives page and sure enough it loaded up and i could register my modules, this was before my allotted time.

Now its after my 1pm time and i login and yep, i'm still registered.

Secure system they have there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Chet T16 wrote: »
    What a load of crap, i logged into SIS and the electives page was missing so i used the URL of the electives page and sure enough it loaded up and i could register my modules, this was before my allotted time.

Now its after my 1pm time and i login and yep, i'm still registered.

Secure system they have there!

What's the direct link?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Going into first year arts and I have a few questions about electives.

Do you have to do electives can I take my subjects in
    20, 20, 20, and no electives or does it have to be 20, 20, 10, 10?

If I take english, linguistics and italian and two 5 credit electives can I choose my electives from the english modules? And could I take a level 2 module?

If after first year I continue with english and linguistics will I still be able to go abroad for a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Going into first year arts and I have a few questions about electives.

Do you have to do electives can I take my subjects in
    20, 20, 20, and no electives or does it have to be 20, 20, 10, 10?

If I take english, linguistics and italian and two 5 credit electives can I choose my electives from the english modules? And could I take a level 2 module?

If after first year I continue with english and linguistics will I still be able to go abroad for a year?

As long as you have 60 credits at the end of the year you can pick whatever you want, regardless of level (really wouldn't recommend going higher than level 2 in 1st year though).

Advertisement