Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

So you have to make 50?

50/5=10 option modules?

Or can you pick some worth 5 and some worth 10 credits?

You have to make up 50 modules from your History and Psychology modules, yes that is correct and the most fundamental point. 25 credits must be History ones and 25 must be Psychology, an even split.

You can make up the 25 from each in whatever way you want - but you are still going to have to do your core modules. Most people just usually stick to the five credit modules in first year. I cant even remember there being 10 credit ones for me!

If you are in first year you are actually going to have very little choice as to what option modules you can pick because I suspect you are going to have a lot of core modules from both History and Psychology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

Well I don't have a clue about this at all.

Thanks all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Well I don't have a clue about this at all.

Thanks all the same.

Have a look over this page, especially this. :)

Here on Page 3

http://www.ucd.ie/students/regpdf/step%202%20pdfs/4_Reg%20Guide%20Core_Options.pdf

It says:

"Req’d tells you how many credits you need for a Stage - in this example we can see that the student is required to register to 50 Core/Option credits for Stage 1 and then 10 Elective credits."

The image beside it says req'd 100 core and req'd elective 20.

Besides that it's still no clearer.

Here on Page 3

http://www.ucd.ie/students/regpdf/step%202%20pdfs/4_Reg%20Guide%20Core_Options.pdf

It says:

"Req’d tells you how many credits you need for a Stage - in this example we can see that the student is required to register to 50 Core/Option credits for Stage 1 and then 10 Elective credits."

The image beside it says req'd 100 core and req'd elective 20.

Yeah that is actually a really stupid image to show as it is something only a second or third year student will see - because stage two is second and third year. Stage one is first year, that is all you need to be concerned with.

Stage two is something you do not even have to think about whatsoever at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JaneLane

Hey guys I was wondering if someone could help me with my electives?! I'm really panicking here!
    I'm studying Art History and Archaeology as my two majors. Grand. Picked two modules each for each semester. Also decided to Celtic Studies. Managed to get two modules for the first semester so that brings me to 30/30 for the first half of the year but there is only one module available (in Celtic Studies) for the second semester so I need to make up another 5 credits!
    Can I just pick ANYTHING else to do this in the second semester or do I have to study something it in both semesters. I've looked all over the UCD website and it says absolutely nothing about picking two different electives per semester!
    If anyone could shed some light on this I'd really appreciate it! I'd like to get some sleep before registration! :D
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

JaneLane wrote: »
    Hey guys I was wondering if someone could help me with my electives?! I'm really panicking here!
    I'm studying Art History and Archaeology as my two majors. Grand. Picked two modules each for each semester. Also decided to Celtic Studies. Managed to get two modules for the first semester so that brings me to 30/30 for the first half of the year but there is only one module available (in Celtic Studies) for the second semester so I need to make up another 5 credits!
    Can I just pick ANYTHING else to do this in the second semester or do I have to study something it in both semesters. I've looked all over the UCD website and it says absolutely nothing about picking two different electives per semester!
    If anyone could shed some light on this I'd really appreciate it! I'd like to get some sleep before registration! :D
    Thanks!

Your elective can be anything yeah. You don't have to pick something you studied the previous semester

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JaneLane

Thank you so much! I was afraid I'd have to shuffle my timetable around again!

Now to go and pick something very very random! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Trying to register and it's not letting me complete because it says cores/options still required?

I've registered all required cores and options for subjects...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lh1964

hi,similiar problem; says core/options still required, ;
    also even though spanish non beginners 1a and 1b come up as core in my list even though they arent core for my course; any explanations?
    is it ok to take two electives semester 1 and none semester
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Irish Jester

Dunno if it will help any arts students (DN500) but when I was trying to finish my module section it always said incomplete. However I then dropped a stream so I was taking 5 instead of 6 and allocated the points somewhere else and it worked. I think I was trying to spread to few points over to much and overall you only need about 3 to 4 streams.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

According to an e-mail I got, one of my electives, which is provisional, has 2 General Elective Places and already 11 people provisionally registered to it, and the majority of students haven't even registered yet. :eek:

I think it's time to find a new elective!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Tara_Rxxx

Yes im definitely science, DN200 BBB :)

Me too! See ya there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Laserhead

lh1964 wrote: »
    Is it ok to take two electives semester 1 and none semester 2?
    thanks

I was wondering the same (though in reverse); I've ended up with a 30/20 split for my core/options modules and was hoping to do both my electives in semester 2.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yes, it's fine to take both your electives in one semester, as long as your total credits add up to 60 for the whole year!

Bear in mind the extra exam that semester though. I did it in first year (both in the first semester) and found it ok, but the electives I picked were easy - two difficult electives in the same semester might be a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Emzer92

Trying to register and it's not letting me complete because it says cores/options still required?

I've registered all required cores and options for subjects...

I'm encountering a simillar problem.

I'm registered for 50 credits worth of core/option modules. . . . . and yet I'm being informed that my core/option registration is incomplete! Are we supposed tro wait until we register our elective modules (thereby bringing our credits to 60 for the year) or what?

Available Subjects / Streams

Are they limited because all the places are gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I wonder could anybody confirm for me that it's okay to take extra option modules rather than electives? Registry confirmed this but I wanted to double-check.

I'm in stage 2 year 3 of Psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

You can take your option modules as electives, which is the same thing but not what you said ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Ah, so it is definitely okay to skip elective registration if you are already registered to extra options? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

I have 45 out of the 50 required credits for optional modules, Would it be possible for me to take 3 electives instead of picking another optional one?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

I picked all my modules today and when I logged I saw I had been registered for some Learning for university module for 5 credits. I picked my modules for my subjects and together the with other module it equals 55 credits, I can't choose electives untill tomorrow but is it ok to only do one elective since I'm guessing I can't have 65 credits?

._. wrote: »
    I have 45 out of the 50 required credits for optional modules, Would it be possible for me to take 3 electives instead of picking another optional one?

You can only take 10 credits worth of electives - 50 credits must come from your in-programme study area.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

You can only take 10 credits worth of electives - 50 credits must come from your in-programme study area.

hmm ok thanks.

I chose intro to programming 1 for my last 5 credits.

If I like it and want to study intro to programming 2 which starts in semester 2, can I opt-in then?
    Because there's no way I'm signing up to a full year of what is a very hard option without having any idea what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paramore

Emzer92 wrote: »
    I'm encountering a simillar problem.

I'm registered for 50 credits worth of core/option modules. . . . . and yet I'm being informed that my core/option registration is incomplete! Are we supposed tro wait until we register our elective modules (thereby bringing our credits to 60 for the year) or what?

this is my problem! :(
    and if i do fill the extra ten with electives, then how can i search electives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I've accepted English and Drama studies, it was a new course last year. I assume from those links that they both will be down for me due to my CAO course, however I wasn't under the impression I have to do a third subject.

Do I have to pick 3 or 2 other subjects/streams if I have two chosen already for Arts?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Hildago

Just looking for a bit of advice....I'm a first year doing Commerce International and I'm looking at a couple of electives that I'd be interested in doing, one of them being an extra german module which I'm pretty sure I want to do but the other one is a psychology one...is it advisable to chose an elective that doesn't really have anything to with my core modules or would I be doing myself a favour if I stuck to an in-programme elective for the degree that I'm doing??

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

How important are your elective choices?

Do they count for anything towards your final degree or are they merely there to give you option of 'tasting' other areas of UCD as a sort of break from your main subjects?

For example, will the elective i take in Year 1 have any effect upon the elective i choose in Year two, and do your elective choices become more 'serious' in years 3 &4?

There's a few questions in there, but i really am clueless and want to make the right choice tomorrow ;)

• Advertisement

What time are you choosing at?

Advertisement