Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electives

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Emzer92 wrote: »
    Hmmmm . . . .

But it doesn't expressly say that a prior knowledge of Italian will exclude you! Or am I picking it up wrong? Here:
    https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/W_SM_WEB_ENR_MOD_CORES.SHOW_MODULE_DESC?p_term_code=201100&p_subj=ITAL&p_crse=10020#bookmarkoutcomes

I think I'll just chat to the professor about it! What else can I do?!

A friend of mine did Italian for the leaving cert and was allowed to do the fairly basic modules (not sure if they were stage one, but from the way he described how easy it was, it sounded like that), so you mightn't be excluded from these modules. (Unless things have changed in the last few years).

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

http://www.ucd.ie/alc/flm/undergraduate/know.html
    Those are the guidelines for the modules offered by the Applied Languages Centre.

Looking at the module description for the ones you have chosen they aren't ALC ones they're coordinated by the School of Languages and Literature.

Here is the page of the School of Italian Studies
    http://www.ucd.ie/sll/Undergraduate/ITALIAN_Home.html
    Look at courses at a glance and you can see your modules as part of the undergrad degree and it says beginner/non beginners.

BA STAGE 1: LEVEL 1 – BCIT STAGE 1
    To qualify for a Minor, Joint Major or Major in Italian at Stage 2 you require 10 credits, including the credits from the core module ©. All modules may also be taken as electives.
    ITALIAN LANGUAGE Ia (ITAL 10020) 5 credits – Semester 1 P. Acquaviva Part 1 of integrated BA language course (for beginners & non-beginners). Small groups. Grammar & conversation, with focus on simple structures for basic communication.
    ITALIAN LANGUAGE Ib (ITAL 10030) 5 credits – Semester 2 © P. Acquaviva Part 2 of integrated BA language course. Small groups. Consolidation of grammar bases, laying foundations for proficiency, with additional emphasis on spontaneous expression.
    A TASTE OF ITALIAN CULTURE (ITAL 10070) 5 credits – Semester 1 J. Barnes From Dante to the mafia: an introduction to what it means to be Italian.
    TEXTS AND CONTEXTS (ITAL 10060) 5 credits – Semester 2 U. Fanning An introduction to Italian language and culture, to the Renaissance, to modern Italy from Unification through Fascism to contemporary writings.

I would think that you're ok on looking at this but if you want a definitive answer I would call into them during orientation week over in the arts building or send them an email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You can tell by the module code whether they are ran by the Applied Language Centre or not.
    I'm pretty sure if you did Italian or any language for the LC, you won't be allowed to take a Stage 1 module in that language.
    That's obviously not true. People are getting degrees in French, Italian, Spanish etc. They will have taken the language in the LC and will obviously do Stage 1 modules. The modules from those programmes will be available as electives.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Like I said, not 100%. I'm only speaking from experience about a friend of mine. She did Spanish for the Leaving Cert was told she couldn't do a stage one module in that language. Its also the reason I didn't pick an introductory German module because of what she told me.

Like I said, not 100%. I'm only speaking from experience about a friend of mine. She did Spanish for the Leaving Cert was told she couldn't do a stage one module in that language. Its also the reason I didn't pick an introductory German module because of what she told me.

It entirely depends on what the module was and who was running the module. You said "I'm pretty sure if you did Italian or any language for the LC, you won't be allowed to take a Stage 1 module in that language." Which is a lot different to saying that there may certain modules in certain programmes that exclude non-Beginners.

• Advertisement

I've signed up for Italian 1a (ITAL 10020) and Italian 1b (ITAL 10030). Has anyone else taken these before? What are they like?

I studied Italian for my L.C., and while the description for the elective didn't specifically say that prior knowledge of the language would count against you, I still feel like I'm chancing my arm! Any advice?

Decided to try and read up on the information for language modules provided by the ALC and ones provided by Arts & Humanities.....

For your case Emzer, you should be able to do those two modules. :)

Although the Italian module description doesn't mention it, I looked up the similar ones for other languages such as German (GER10010 - German Language 1a) and Spanish (SPAN10010 - Spanish Language 1a). These actually require a previous knowledge of the language in some cases up to a C standard in higher level LC. So looks like you'll be fine. :)

For the modules provided by ALC (Stage 1 modules), if you have any prior knowledge you are restricted in what you can do, e.g. if you want to take German, you cannot take the modules "German General Purpose 1" up until "German General Purpose 3". From General Purpose modules 4 and up, you must have at least a D3 in honours LC.

Hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

anyone know if i can do level 1 modules in 3rd year? want to save one or two for gpa boosting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

anyone know if i can do level 1 modules in 3rd year? want to save one or two for gpa boosting

I am ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Yep, it's not about which year you do it in, it's about the credits quota. You can do a maximum of 80 credits of level 1 modules and you must do at least 40 credits of level 3+ modules during your 3 years http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/ba_advisory0410.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

That's odd, I can't seem to find a suggested in-programme elective online...
    ... off to the programme office I go, la la-la la-laaaa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 mc_teo

do you have to do 6 modules in each semester?

I had no choice in Computer Science, and have six core in semester 1 and four core in semester 2, so should my two electives be in semester 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Anyone doing or already did translational research?

mc_teo wrote: »
    do you have to do 6 modules in each semester?

I had no choice in Computer Science, and have six core in semester 1 and four core in semester 2, so should my two electives be in semester 2?

You don't have to, but it would be sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Has anyone done the International Relations module? It seems like it could be good.

Also, I have an intro to maths one listed that says I only have to do it if I got less than an A2 at ordinary level in the LC, I got an A2. Am I still able to do it? Or should I even do it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Skelet0n wrote: »
    Has anyone done the International Relations module? It seems like it could be good.
    With Tobias Theiler? Yeah I did it as part of politics in first year. Go to all the lectures, get ALL the notes (he won't put them online) and it's fairly easy imo. But if you don't get the notes you are screwed and I can't emphasise that enough. He designs the exam to catch out the people who don't go to lectures.

Don't bother with the level 2 International Relations module. Like most second year politics modules, it's wrist cutting stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Has anyone ever done "Millennium Development Goals", the level 2 module?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Skelet0n wrote: »

I have done it. It is pretty interesting, just a basic introduction to international relations. The World Wars, Formation of League of Nations & EU and some other key stuff aswell.

As Sad Professor has said; go to the lectures and get the notes because Tobias will give you nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

didn't want to make a new thread so can i just ask can you sort out everything with the program office over the phone or would you actually have to go into them? I'm after switching an elective there and now i'm 55 credits with all of the core option modules of which i'm supposed to pick one more either full or clashing. could they squeeze me in into a full module and again would I have to go into UCD for this?

wondering as well if I can leave level 1 modules "like math10010" or something for stage 3 when they count towards your degree? is this possible or do you have to choose level 3 modules even for electives?

thanks.

edit: also, does anyone know when modules with the "provisional" status are confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

didn't want to make a new thread so can i just ask can you sort out everything with the program office over the phone or would you actually have to go into them? I'm after switching an elective there and now i'm 55 credits with all of the core option modules of which i'm supposed to pick one more either full or clashing. could they squeeze me in into a full module and again would I have to go into UCD for this?

wondering as well if I can leave level 1 modules "like math10010" or something for stage 3 when they count towards your degree? is this possible or do you have to choose level 3 modules even for electives?

thanks.

edit: also, does anyone know when modules with the "provisional" status are confirmed?

9th of September I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 doly

Has anyone ever done "Millennium Development Goals", the level 2 module?

I really enjoyed it, very interesting and reasonable workload. It is done from an economics point of view but you don't need to have done any economics previously. There were three assignments and a one hour exam that was a well-flagged choice of essays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Any good geography electives out there? Its my strong point, and the less of a workload i have the better :/

Also, whats the difference between "in programme" and "all" when picking electives? does in programme just mean withing Arts for me or whatever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Does anyone know what time elective registration closes on Friday, 9th September?

Does anyone know what time elective registration closes on Friday, 9th September?

5pm. http://www.ucd.ie/students/electives.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Emzer92

Has anyone ever taken GEOL10040 "Earth, Environment and Society" as a module?

I've chosen this as a replacement for a chemistry module (I'm in first year science BBB).

What's it like?

Has anyone ever taken GEOL10040 "Earth, Environment and Society" as a module?

I've chosen this as a replacement for a chemistry module (I'm in first year science BBB).

What's it like?

I took this as an elective last year. Its a relatively introductory module, doesn't cover topics in huge detail but covers a lot of topics. There is a lot of information to remember. Assessment is done through in semester MCQ exams and a final MCQ exam, all with negative marking. So you really need to be sure of answers and it being Geology, they dont make it easy.

I found the lectures very boring to sit through and I'm interested in everything that was taught. With this experience, I probably wouldn't do the module.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I did it as my elective last semester and my main complaint would be the lectures. They were unbelievably bad. I had a lecture at 9 on Friday morning and then this at 1 and I have to say I hung around for it less than 5 times. One guy did a series of lectures and he was just so boring standing there with a 'I hate my job' face for the full 50 mins, not what you want on your happy Friday afternoon and I'm very interested in science :(

There was a midterm worth about 30% and then the final worth the remaining 70% or so and both exams were MCQ format with heavy negative marking. A lot of people suffered as they took too many chances and fell victim to the negative marking in the midterm. They learnt however how to estimate how much of a good idea it was to guess as a result and they all made it through the final exam much better.

Despite not going to most of the Friday lectures I managed an A+ overall so that was a lovely surprise. The online assignments are really what the exams were based around and I knew this from taking its sister module in semester 1 so I just did the assignments until I was blue in the face and it worked :D

It would be quite like the LC in the way that you learn off a load of information and then a memory test at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Anyone have any info on the Psychology elective? I signed up for that, I've always been interested enough. Is it very hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jizzear

Hi lads quick question....answers asap if possible ;)

I registered for an elective i really want to do and i am basically guaranteed a spot but one of the lectures clashes with a lab....

I have no problem missing one lecture a week so can i just leave it alone or do i need to change it before i risk not getting the elective after 5pm and havin to do the first come first served stuff???

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    Anyone have any info on the Psychology elective? I signed up for that, I've always been interested enough. Is it very hard?

Which module do you mean as there are a few?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Info on psychology electives:

Brain and behaviour: study of the different motivating factors surrounding actions like eating, drinking, sleeping. Discussion of brain injury and it's effects and the functions of the brain hemispheres. Two lecturers for the course. Both are nice, but the second one has quite disorganized blackboard notes. Mid-term is an MCQ and short note and the end-of-semester is a short note exam afaik. Very accessible module if you learn the BB notes off by heart.

Psychology of perception. Fantastic lecturer, deals with the mechanisms of vision, the camera-eye analogy, movements, optimal performance issues and problem solving. MCQ for mid-term and short note exam for finals. Easiest module ever, again, if you stick closely to just learning the notes.

Intro to social psychology: covers basic ideas in social psychology e.g attitudes. Essay due for the mid-term and a short-note exam for finals. Quite accessible but requires a lot of extra reading.

Intro to child development: covers basic concepts of child development like the development of language and awareness of self. Mid-term is an MCQ + Short Note exam and final is a Short Note exam. Fiddly module-lots to learn and it is delivered in quite a dull manner.

Anybody wanting info on level 2 + 3 psych electives, PM me.

Advertisement