Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Makes Of Surfboards

Options
  • 26-08-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I started off on a Rocky Point 7'10" a year ago, loved it, got good at surfing and sold it for an NSP 7'2", which i improved on fairly quickly. The problem is, the NSP, which is a major brand, turned out to be bad quality, and the Rocky Point, an obscure enough brand, was fantastic.
    I'm guessing this has happened to a fair few people, so, from your own experience, which boards would you suggest, and which boards should i definitely stay away from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

when you say the NSP was 'bad quality' what do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Luke117

i got it at the start of the summer, treated it like gold, washed it down after every use, all that, and the fins boxes or something have a crack in them, which apparently is really common with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Luke117 wrote: »
    i got it at the start of the summer, treated it like gold, washed it down after every use, all that, and the fins boxes or something have a crack in them, which apparently is really common with them.
    Fair enough.
    Have to say I never had that problem with my old nsp, thought it was durable as hell and I used it a lot. I snapped a fin off before alright (through my own doing) but no damage to fin box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Luke117 wrote: »

If you got it new and in a surf shop here I'd go back and see what they say if it's a well known problem then maybe NSP will step up and fix it or pay to have it fixed.

For what it's worth boards likes NSP CircleOne BIC-epoxy ... are though as nails but when you do dammage them they are harder to fix espically to fix your self. Where as if you get a customp Polyester Resin board from a shaper and not from china then if you look after them they will last and when you do ding them they are much easier to fix yourself or take to a pro if it's bad.

Custom epoxy boards can be OK to fix as well but there is sometimes a big difference in the foam, if it's beaded polystyrene it will soak up water liker a sponed so you must never surf with a ding. Also to fix them you must epoxy resin if you use polyester resin it will melt the foam.

All my boards are tradition boards and are holding up OK bar one which is from South Africa where they do a light glass job - that board dings easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Started off on a BicSurf board which was really strong, and held its value well when I sold it years later. Had a few polyester custom boards , but was always fixing them or having them fixed. Got a Take Off epoxy board now, its as light as the polyester but far stronger / does not ding as easily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement