Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed/House for 7 cats

• 26-08-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice regarding a shed or something similar that will be used within an enclosure for 7 cats. We have just moved into a rented place and are erecting an enclosure for our brood. We want to put in a shed that will be their place to hang out during the day. At night they will be coming inside with us. The main priority I suppose would be heat, especially for the coming winter months.

Has anyone any experience with something like this? We are wondering whether to go for a garden shed and insulate it or maybe an extra large dog house or something? I was thinking something with a little porch area would be good, somewhere they could sit out of the rain but still see whats going on.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would go for the shed, put a cat flap in the door, build some big wide shelves at the back of the shed to put beds on, cats like sleeping up high.
    I have had a shed like this before for daytime use, in winter I put cardboard boxes with a hole in the side and stuffed with bedding on the shelves. I did try a large plastic toy box (the type that look like a chest with lid) with whole cut in side, I lined it with carpet off cuts and put beds inside. The cats wouldn't use it:rolleyes:, they prefer cardboard boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

We went looking at sheds today. We think we're going to go for an extra large dog house. I saw a place recommended on another thread on boards.ie and went there today. The dog house will be 4ft x 4ft and 5ft at the apex of the roof. It seemed like much better value than the garden sheds. They should be nice a cosy in it. I was worried about heating a bigger garden shed. The lady we spoke to suggested getting agricultural bedding from the co-op, apparently it works a treat at keeping the house warm. I like the idea of the shelves though and should still be able to do that in this dog house. They also install pet flaps for free if we provide it, so it's seems like the best option. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Just a tip, put the dog house up off the ground.
    Also found Vet Bed a big hit with the cats, its expensive but worth it and lasts for ever, as it can be washed over and over.

Thanks mymo. I saw those vet beds in a pet shop today and it definately will be worth looking at. We will raise it up on a few blocks alright, keep it up of the damp ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

yeh a shed would probably be cheaper than buying a number of kennels for example.
    But you might need to heat it or insulate it depending on your situation but if you're any way handy it should be easy.

But too big a shed will loose heat easily it would probably be a good idea to get a small shed and then add shelving and ramps etc. to add different levels. Cats would use that more than if it was just beds on the floor.

..lol just noticed the other posts I'm too impatient to read through.

Vet bed as said is great some of mine is 5 or 6 years old and still going well. bronteglen.ie do all sorts of colours of it.

Maybe shelving like wide standard shelving..treated with a bit of pet safe wood stain or beeswax just to protect the wood coz wooden sheds can get a bit musty. Then nail on thick off cuts (you can get for free usually) of carpet on to it, maybe a thick carpet with a bit of grip to it.

There's so many things you can do with with it.

There's insulated steel kennels that I have my eye on for my pooches, they already have a large shed with a dog flap but the smaller insulated steel kennels..according to the ad are warm in winter cool in summer and shouldn't have a build up of condensation. They are pricey though and you'd have to fit a flap in yourself.

When I had cats their favourite place was the hot press so I rekon anything like that ..warm room lots of shelving would be heaven for them.

Snuggle safe heat pads are handy for colder nights,they usually keep their heat all night but in really cold weather I wouldn't be too confident about relying on them.

• Advertisement

We are definately going to put in some shelves but probably won't nail anything on as one of my cats is incontinent and we need to remove bedding regularly to clean. We have a power point outside near where the run will be so we're thinking we might put in one of those heat lights (the red ones) for the inevitable freezing days that are coming our way. They will be in at night but I will definately get some of those vet beds, seem to be the right job.

I am quite handy by the way, otherwise I would have had to spend a small fortune for an enclosure. As it stands we will have a completed 16ft x 8ft (8ft height) galvanised enclosure for about €650. Having cats means we have to have a roof so it's a bit more expensive than having a dog run (bloody feckers can climb :rolleyes:). We intend on expanding as soon as we can afford a few more materials.

Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi if you contact Galway Cat Rescue as they have someone who makes cat houses, they are being made for feral cats

Advertisement