Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant Rapid 3 - is there an Irish bike shop willing to come close to UK prices

• 26-08-2011 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a Giant Rapid 3 in the next week or so and found a big difference in UK/Irish pricing.
    LBS and Irish online quotes come in around €825-850 Euro
    UK online quotes come in around £625 (approx €700) and sale prices £500 (approx €560).
    That's a big difference.

I've asked a few LBS to see if they can come close to UK price but I get the usual "Different prices charged by distributor" or 'Giant won't let us discount" or "Can't afford to drop prices due to higher rent/import costs"...blah...blah...blah.

My first choice was a Trek 7.1 and it was the same story.

What is the story here?

I'm new to this sport (got the bug from using the bikes on the Dublin Bike scheme) and wondered if anyone knows of an Irish supplier that is willing to come close to UK prices.... or I am being too naive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I got a rapid 3 in janurary 2011 for a very good price but it was the 2010 model but still very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Lets be open and honest here,its very very hard for an Irish bike shop to match UK prices due to a load of factors that we all know about.In the same way a Plasma tv,a pint of beer,a new Mondeo,a visit to the docter/dentist, or a house purchase is cheaper in the UK the same rules for bikes.We as ordinary folk are getting fleeced with every bill,and so are those in business.Buying off shore may be cheaper,but thats until you have a problem with the bike.Sending it back to the UK wont be cheap.

Buying off shore may be cheaper,but thats until you have a problem with the bike.Sending it back to the UK wont be cheap.

Depends on where you bought, i bought from a Irish shop and never again,service turned out to be crap, once they had your money that was it, really bad, where's my free service after the first couple of months??/ plus very greedy in selling very small/cheap parts when spending $1000 i would totally buy UK next time without doubt.

Play by the sword die by the sword!!! whoo hah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Sending it back to the UK wont be cheap.

€20-30...

Unlikely that you'll have to do it and most problems will be sorted by just sending a part of the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mp31

robertxxx wrote: »
    I got a rapid 3 in janurary 2011 for a very good price but it was the 2010 model but still very good.

Where from? (If you're not allowed to say on the forum then please PM me)

• Advertisement

http://www.wheelworx.ie/

Now that was a floor model i got! worth a try i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭brians947

Try Humphries in Finglas.

Advertisement