Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Billie Barry Stage School - advice?

Options
  • 26-08-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I'm going into TY and I've always been interested in the world of performing arts. I've recently been reading about the Billie Barry Stage school that have produced talents such as Susan and Brian McFadden and Samantha Mumba. On their website,it says all that join the school have the option of going to castings for TV,films,adverts,etc..

I'd really like to attend the school but I'm wondering about how to do about it. I'm in TY at the moment. I wondered would it be possible to join the stage school for a few terms and during the Summer(their summer theatre school is open to all students who attend) I'd obviously have to sort this out with my school.

It's just something I'd be really interested in pursuing and The Billy Barry Stage School sounds a great way to get experience

After leaving cert,I'm hoping to go to UCD and enter their dramsoc programme or study drama alongside other practical subjects :)

What advice would you give me about possibly attending The Billie Barry Stage School? All advice welcome and needed because I'm not sure the first step to take :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

I was a member of a Youth Theatre for 14 years and one of our directors was with the Billie Barries.... I won't go into details but he didn't give us a very good impression of them....

If you're really interested in Performing Arts see if there is a local youth theatre in your area. If you want you should go to http://nayd.ie/theatres and find one in your area.

I made some of the best friends and had some wonderful experiences performing on TV, on the Peacock stage in the Abbey Theatre and working with some of Ireland's greatest directors. It is also a great confidence booster and teaches much more than how to act.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

If you are keen on going into drama then they are definitely worth a try. Most of my friends who went through the likes of a stage school, either Billy Barry's or Adele King's, say they had a great time and even had the chance to go onto main stage performances in the likes of the Panto's in the Gaiety, Olympia, etc.
    some then get into the 'senior groups' and would go onto the Gaiety School of Acting or an academy in say London, where they study drama, dance acting, basically all the aspects of performing arts and come out with a fantastic qualification and background to go into any other field of drama or performing arts. So the avenues are there and Billy Barry's school or Adele Kings is one of the best ways to get a 'foot in the door' and a taste for it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

hytrogen wrote: »
    So the avenues are there and Billy Barry's school or Adele Kings is one of the best ways to get a 'foot in the door' and a taste for it...

I would stress that it is one of the ways but definitely not the only way.

Advertisement