Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alliance Française de Limerick

• 26-08-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience of taking French classes at the Alliance Française in Limerick? What's it like? Is it any good?

I've finally taken the decesion to learn and their new semester starts at the end of September. I studied French for 1 year in secondary school but can't really remember any of it other than numbers. I've spent a little time in France lately and picked up a few phrases but would still consider myself an absolute beginner as I cant really read or write in french.

My future in about 1.5-2yrs time is looking like I'm going to end up in France so I want to start learning the basics again and then hope to pick up the rest there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I didn't know there was an Alliance in Limerick, but overall it has a good reputation as far as I have ever heard.

How basic is basic? At a certain stage, I wonder if it might not be more helpful to meet up with a native French speaker for language exchange?

Or if you do it in conjunction with the formal lessons, it can be a great lesson in how to apply the language, the practicalities of French that are not always covered in a formal setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Thanks for the reply. Link to their website: http://www.aflimerick.org/

Well my girlfriend is French so as you said my plan will be to take formal lessons to get a handle on stuff like sentence structure, verbs, gender, etc. We both find that the problem is that when trying to explain some things, unless you are trained as a teacher, its very hard to teach your fluent language, some things in the language are just the way they are and you can't explain why.

I've met some of her family and only her sister speaks english so if I dont want to be known as the quiet irish lad, I need to learn :D

Advertisement