Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: An Post Registered Parcel from Ireland to USA . . .

Options
  • 26-08-2011 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there,

Hoping some of you good people will offer some words of advice.

I sent a parcel, from a main post office in a west of Ireland town, on the 12th of August via Registered Post. The parcel was meant to be bound for Michigan in the U. S.

It is 2 weeks later and having not received confirmation that the package got there from the recipient, I rang An Post Customer Services, with the Track and Trace barcode. I was talking to a lady, who said the only record that they have for it, at present, is that it departed Portlaoise Mail Centre on the 13th of August (I saw this myself on their website). She took the recipient address from me and she told me she would enquire further. She rang back about an hour later, saying that there is no record of it being processed in the U. S., therefore she told me to fill out the online Missing form on their website. She didn't seem too concerned, even though I was very concerned (and annoyed).

I rang Customer Services again, in order to speak to a different advisor. He told me, after entering the Track and Trace barcode, that an enquiry has been forwarded to the UK, to the company that An Post deal with there. He believes the parcel is stranded there as the barcode has not been processed. He also told me that they were having problems with Registered Mail in JFK airport, as they are not scanning the barcodes when they arrive from Ireland.

I am very worried that I, or the recipient, will never see this parcel. I am also hoping that no-one got their greasy paws on any of the contents in the parcel and kept it for themselves. A return address was put on the box just in case the parcel got damaged in transit. What happens when a parcel gets damaged in transit? Would I be contacted?

What's worst is that the contents are of considerable value. In the parcel was a necklace, books, photos and a letter, coming to a combined value of €240. This was why I sent it by Registered Post, as it (supposedly) has the best security. I wanted to send it by Courier Post, originally, but the postmaster said that I needed to have invoices for all items (which I didn't have), so he recommended that I send it by Registered Post. It cost €40 to send it to the U. S. by Registered Post. The maximum amount for contents value that I can receive back, if it is lost, is €100.

I completed the online Missing form earlier and await a response. I would appreciate any words of advice / similar experiences. I naively thought that sending the parcel by Registered Post that it would get to Michigan within the estimated delivery time of 5-7 working days. Today is the 10th working day. I don't know if I am jumping the gun a bit early on this, should I give it more time or should I keep onto An Post about tracking the exact location, whether that's Portlaoise, the UK or the US. The parcel was meant to be a birthday present to someone very special and that date has now passed and no present received. Oh well, got to love a guy for trying, eh?

I would appreciate any help in this matter,

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭ongarite

An post tracking of the package will only work for when its in this country.
    You need to go the US postal service website and track your package with your tracking number replacing the IE at the end with US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sligeach83

Thanks for that, I tried that alright and nothing comes up, it says it has no information on the number (that I entered) and that it may not have entered their system yet. The search goes on, I guess . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Best to find out how long it has to be missing before yo can claim, just in case you leave it too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I sent something registered post to New York. There was never any record of it having left Ireland, but one day, just over 2 weeks later, I checked the American website and it had been delivered that day. There were never any updates in between. Hold out for a few more days I'd say.

Advertisement