Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Holiday Destination Ever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

probably my holiday in cambodia where my head was skewered on a stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

DRUMorDIE wrote: »
    Donegal.

My parents are the type of taking drives for the day to "enjoy the scenery" when my sisters and I much prefer wandering cities and actually something of interest besides random fields and villages with one street. At its worst (the moody teenage years) my dad and me got in a shouting match over what a holiday is and I got out of the car in the mountains of Donegal to try walk back to Letterkenny. Not fun at all and the Irish "summer" didn't do anything to lighten the mood

Haha you sound like a carbon copy of me. I too spent many a year on aimless drives with my parents throughout Ireland. Bundoran in Donegal was a particular favourite of theirs to base themselves during these ordeals. We'd literally go on 8 hour car drives around the place and that was supposed to be our holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Mosnia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

When we were kids living in England, my parents took us on a caravanning holiday to Bognor Regis.

It rained the whole time, so we were either stuck in the caravan the whole time, or knee deep in mud if we went out.

The highlight of the holiday was going to see Little and Large at the local theatre. They didn't even turn up.

Worst holiday ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I got a cheap flight to the Dominican Republic a few years ago and decided to take a jaunt across the border into Haiti seeing as it was only about 50km from where I was staying.
    I had planned to go to a place called Jacmel which I'd heard was nice (this was pre-earthquake) but only made it to the first town past the border with great difficulty to find nowhere to stay (apart from the mud floor of some crazy guy's corrugated iron shack.) It was then that I realised I was in way over my head.
    After weighing up my options, I decided the best thing to do would be to head back to D.R.
    I had been in Haiti for about 12 hours in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mickjg

The Queen Mary, Long Beach CA.

A bunch of city workers running a once beautiful ship into the ground. They didn't give a crap about their customers. Avoid it completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

The old inferiority complex from Cork raises it's head again.

shhh..shhh..leave him be , he,s happy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Turkey, worst holiday EVER.

I went with a friend (two girls then) and we got hassled to death. The men were horrific, they literally thought they could put their hands all over you. I lost count of the amount of times I was groped - and even worse, if you got upset or angry they would get abusive. I was called a whore by one guy because I politely told him I didn't want to come into his bar - and then we literally got heckled the length of the street as every other bar owner came out and started hurling abuse at us.

Spent most of the holiday in our hotel because it was the only place we weren't bothered. It was an absolutely miserable week. And the food was rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

busyliving wrote: »
    Lloret de Mar by a long way

What a hole of a place. Teenage Spanish scooter gangs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Tenerife - playa las americas. An absolute **** hole. Went for a week - last minute thing. It never appealed but I thought 'hey how bad can it be - I just want some sun and to chill out'. Might as well go on holiday to your local quarry, full of obnoxious assholes and the best meal I had all week was in mcdonalds. never again.

duno, I've liked all my holidays so far I think :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

I agree with Littlehorny Turkey is a dreadful place would never wish to go back there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Agadir, morocco.
    Riga is also a kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Spent a few days in Bracknell about 10 years ago. I can't say I'd recommend it as a holiday destination.

Had a two week holiday in Minorca (St Tomas) and it rained most of the time. I'm sure Minorca is lovely when the sun is shining(just like Ireland) but it's pretty miserable when the rain keeps falling.

I've been in Turkey but, as a male, I haven't experienced any of the issues that some of the earlier posters spoke about. However, since most of their own female population is off limits to them, I suppose the young Turkish males see western girls as fair game. Would I be correct in saying that all the previous posters who didn't like Turkey are female ?

(p.s. I'm not for one minute defending the Turkish behaviour)

chughes wrote: »
    I've been in Turkey but, as a male, I haven't experienced any of the issues that some of the earlier posters spoke about. However, since most of their own female population is off limits to them, I suppose the young Turkish males see western girls as fair game. Would I be correct in saying that all the previous posters who didn't like Turkey are female ?

(p.s. I'm not for one minute defending the Turkish behaviour)

The guys I had trouble with over there weren't young, they were middle aged, married. They just had no respect at all for women. Several of them seemed to think we were just pieces of meat that they could grope at will. Awful culture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

yeah went to turkey once, didnt feel safe at night, food was crap, some places were dirty and turk blokes were assholes!

+1,000,000

Kip imho.. Kusadasi in particular.

I was there a few years ago now but what sticks out in my head is how bloody aggressive the waiters and street vendors were.. they'd nearly be chasing you down the street trying to get you to come into their shops..

And the men are so sleazy, it really is true what they say, they prey on Irish women for some reason..

At the risk of being controversial, when we were there we used to marvel because the place would be crawling with STUNNING young Eastern European women holidaying, but they always went after the plainer looking Irish or indeed British gals.. Easier catch I guess.

Also the place itself was just down right filthy.. Their sewerage system was sh1te (scuse the pun).. The bath and sink water came out yellow... the air was dirty, if you put a towel out to dry it would come back in manky dirty :confused:

I just wouldn't ever go back to the place tbh.. it could be all better now but I just came away with a bad impression of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Having been to a lot of 3rd world countries and having seen more than my fair share of ****holes, one place I would never go back to is Barcelona. Dirty, smelly, boring crapheap.
    The old inferiority complex from Cork raises it's head again.

Silly Dubs - can't even spell superiority.... ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Having been to a lot of 3rd world countries and having seen more than my fair share of ****holes, one place I would never go back to is Barcelona. Dirty, smelly, boring crapheap.

I wasn't really a fan of barcelona either tbh.

But people seem to love that place and defend it to the hilt.
    Locals not very friendly IMO. Won't be going back there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

I wasn't really a fan of barcelona either tbh.

+1. The Ramblas reminded me of an oversized Temple Bar. Something very seedy about the place.

Have been to Barcelona a few times, and on one memorable occasion had my bag knicked only an hour after getting there. Place is lethal for pickpockets.

The last time the place seemed REALLY seedy though - so many prostitutes and drug dealers, was pretty horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If the wife ever suggests going to Turkey on holidays I'm going to show her this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

What?! You crazy!

Well I found Las Vegas a sorry kind of place overall.

Sure, there's admittedly hell of an initial 'wow' factor - the surreal architecture, raucous atmosphere on the strip and the feeling of finding yourself in an 'adult Disneyland' of sorts.

But there's also a palpable undercurrent of desperation, addiction, transience and the all pervasive corporate grubbiness, masquerading as some sort of desert utopia.

Beyond the strip, so much of the city is a shabby, dust-blown assemblage of ramshackle strip malls, liquor stores and dive motels. For me, the place lacked soul, it being sin city, perhaps I shouldn't have expected to find one.

Me no like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

Warsaw, I've never seen a place so full of nothing. The only thing I was excited about was going to see the bears but they weren't there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

Definitely Egypt. When we went to the pyramids, the locals swarmed around tourists trying to flog their goods, some were just downright aggressive. I was grabbed at the pyramids because I'm pale.

Not only that but everyone looks for a tip. One guy opened a door for me then put his hand out looking for cash. If I can do something myself I won't tip for it. I couldn't relax when we were out and about, only at the hotel. Everyone had to walk through a metal detector in the lobby. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Sunderland.

Stoke.

Burnley.

Bolton.

Portsmouth.

Coventry.

Leicester.

Barnsley.

Watford.

Aberdeen.

Cork.

Limerick.

Pittsburgh.

Atlantic City.

Wolverhampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

vegas, barcelona, turkey, tenerife........you people, been to them all and no way any of them could be described as worst destination, some of the places i have been to i wouldn't advise any of you guys to go near if you think vegas, tenerife or barcelona are bad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭twistedsoul

orourkeda wrote: »
    Sunderland.

Stoke.

Burnley.

Bolton.

Portsmouth.

Coventry.

Leicester.

Barnsley.

Watford.

Aberdeen.

Cork.

Limerick.

Pittsburgh.

Atlantic City.

Wolverhampton.

aberdeen at least has the sea and a nice beach, its a bit like a large version of bray, ditto atlantic city even if it is a rundown dirty version of vegas at least there are things to do there, the borgata by itself you could spend a nice holiday just there

why would anyone holiday in wolverhampton and i was a couple of days in stoke, we barely left our accommodation the whole time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Turkey, for all the reasons mentioned on this thread.

I'm amazed about Barcelona being mentioned, it was highly recommended to us as a city break and we went there last month and enjoyed it immensely (though v. expensive!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Sunderland.

Stoke.

Burnley.

Bolton.

Portsmouth.

Coventry.

Leicester.

Barnsley.

Watford.

Aberdeen.

Cork.

Limerick.

Pittsburgh.

Atlantic City.

Wolverhampton.

You holidayed in Limerick?

I live there and don't mind the place, but holidaying here, doesn't sound like fun

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    aberdeen at least has the sea and a nice beach, its a bit like a large version of bray, ditto atlantic city even if it is a rundown dirty version of vegas at least there are things to do there, the borgata by itself you could spend a nice holiday just there

why would anyone holiday in wolverhampton and i was a couple of days in stoke, we barely left our accommodation the whole time :(

It wasn't a holiday in Wolverhampton as such. Just a football trip. Icouldn't get out of the place fast enough.

Atlantic city is a sleazy hovel.

busyliving wrote: »
    You holidayed in Limerick?

I live there and don't mind the place, but holidaying here, doesn't sound like fun

Again not a holiday as such. Two days was more than enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

stayed in this motel in phoenix think it was called the bate's motel or something never again.
    damn owner freaked us out came around late at night checking up on us, got outta there after one night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

gypsy_rose wrote: »
    Warsaw, I've never seen a place so full of nothing. The only thing I was excited about was going to see the bears but they weren't there :(

You were expecting bears to be walking around Warsaw? :confused::pac:

Worst holiday..yep Barcelona! Hated the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Really surprised to see Barcelona mentioned. I love that city, and I can think of worse places in Spain.

My dad lived in LA for a while and said it was an absolute sh*t hole. Really rough in some parts, and really fake in other parts. Filthy, not very aesthetically pleasing and full of crooks. There was nothing particularly appealing about it at all apparently.

He said that New Orleans (before the hurricane) was one of the better cities, as far as the US goes.

Really surprised to see Barcelona mentioned. I love that city, and I can think of worse places in Spain.

barcelonas a lovely city, if someone had never visited europe barcelona would be one of the three main european cities i would recommend them visit and i have been to basically every major european city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Can't believe no one has mentioned Blackpool yet! What a kip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Murt10 wrote: »
    +1. The Ramblas reminded me of an oversized Temple Bar. Something very seedy about the place.

Yeah, Barcelona is a horrible kip, don't like it at all.

Montreal is very similar to Barcelona in a lot of ways, the old town there is very alike the Ramblas, didn't enjoy that city either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

rossie1977 wrote: »
    vegas, barcelona, turkey, tenerife........you people, been to them all and no way any of them could be described as worst destination, some of the places i have been to i wouldn't advise any of you guys to go near if you think vegas, tenerife or barcelona are bad:rolleyes:

But the OP asked this question:
    James__10 wrote: »
    What is the worst holiday destination you've ever went on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Pherekydes wrote: »
    If the wife ever suggests going to Turkey on holidays I'm going to show her this thread!

Why:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Salou, Spain. Couldn't wait to get out of the place. Awful dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

I did a road trip across America a few years ago and one of our stops was New Orleans....WHAT A KIP! I would'nt go back there for love nor money. It was just a dirty seedy place with a really bad vibe. We arrived there about 10 pm and went out and around Bourbon street, it just seemed so rough and unfriendly and we ended up leaving at 9am the next morning. Since I came back I've heard of Americans saying the same about it and it could be down to the hurricane destroying it but we felt alot of hostility. There was 7 of us and we are all pretty big guys but we felt as if we had to constantly keep looking over our shoulders.

Vegas is alright but for only a couple of days. One of the things I did'nt like about Vegas is that absolutely everybody there is there to try and take money off you at every oppertunity they can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Heh, funny seeing all the bad reports about Turkey. My cousin was in Kusadasi recently and she loved it. Said she'd recommend it to anyone.

I've never been to a bad holiday destination, thankfully. Going on a trip across three countries (Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg) next month so if any of them are horrible I'll report back. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

dagdha wrote: »
    I did a road trip across America a few years ago and one of our stops was New Orleans....WHAT A KIP! I would'nt go back there for love nor money. It was just a dirty seedy place with a really bad vibe. We arrived there about 10 pm and went out and around Bourbon street, it just seemed so rough and unfriendly and we ended up leaving at 9am the next morning. Since I came back I've heard of Americans saying the same about it and it could be down to the hurricane destroying it but we felt alot of hostility. There was 7 of us and we are all pretty big guys but we felt as if we had to constantly keep looking over our shoulders.

Vegas is alright but for only a couple of days. One of the things I did'nt like about Vegas is that absolutely everybody there is there to try and take money off you at every oppertunity they can find.

Everyone has different experiences, I guess. My dad loved New Orleans, although he visited it in the 90s, way before the hurricane. I'd say it's way different now. It's still recovering, and crime has probably rocketed since. Disasters like that really change places. People lose everything, and the whole city is destroyed. It probably takes a very long time for places like that to even begin to resemble what they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Swampy wrote: »
    Agadir, morocco.
    Here. Without a doubt the worst place I've ever been to on holidays. Marrakech is fantastic though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Sunderland.

Stoke.

Burnley.

Bolton.

Portsmouth.

Coventry.

Leicester.

Barnsley.

Watford.

Aberdeen.

Cork.

Limerick.

Pittsburgh.

Atlantic City.

Wolverhampton.

You need to find yourself a travel agent with slightly broader horizons!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

This place sounds pretty bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Alicante, spain. Absolute dive of a place, no redeeming feature whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

dagdha wrote: »

Was there in 2001 ie before Katrina and found it dodgy back then too.
    The french quarter/Bourbon St whilst full of jock/frat-boy types was still good fun.
    But if you ventured anywhere away from this area, you needed to watch your back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

charlemont wrote: »
    Tramore, Imagine telling your kids you are bringing them somewhere exciting, sunny and entertaining, And then as you approach Tramore, Watching their faces drop with disappointment.
    Stinicker wrote: »
    Are we there yet, Are we there yet! :eek: Are we done yet, are we done yet, are we done yet

:) thats more like it

• Advertisement
Advertisement