Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Holiday Destination Ever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

This place near Chernobyl. Pretty much what the world would look like after a nuclear holocaust (well, the parts that aren't evaporated.) Apparently some video game or other was based on it ( I'm some of ye know it, help me out here!:p)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prypiat

Though there are parts of Offaly that probably have less signs of life, in fairness.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Acacia wrote: »
    This place near Chernobyl. Pretty much what the world would look like after a nuclear holocaust (well, the parts that aren't evaporated.) Apparently some video game or other was based on it ( I'm some of ye know it, help me out here!:p)

"Stalker" was set in it, but very very loosely based on the film "stalker" which is from the book "Roadside incident. Tons of atmo in the first game and the first few spinoffs.

Stinicker wrote: »

In terms of Ireland as a teenager I was bundled into the car and we landed to Lisdoonvarna for a week, it was full of like 60+ old fogies on the pull with their crappy old music, my parents loved it, I couldn't even buy a decent newspaper there. A week of hell that was! The TV in the holiday home had RTE1 and RTE2 I nearly died I swear!

Sounds like my old family holidays.

I hate, hate, hate those crappy small towns on the coast of Ireland where it rains non-stop even in July, there's nothing to do but go for pointless walks that lead nowhere, and the only places on interest are a Mass Rock and if you're lucky maybe a very stony beach to walk on. I always seemed to be brought to those kinda places on holidays cause my parents had a fear of leaving the country (not even joking!). "The Caravan" episode of "Father Ted" had nothing on on my family holidays. The worst was having to go to the Holy Disneyland of Ireland (a.k.a Knock) when I was 15. Nothing but auld wans saying the Rosary and plastic tacky holy statues being flogged from stalls. Hell on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

wolf moon wrote: »
    no.

The avenue inn. Scum city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

It is not a Dubai thing, read the posts here, Egypt, Turkey, Tunisia are all the same, It is part of their religion and Islamic men treat women very badly and treat them with no respect only as pieces of meat to be groped.

What an idiotic statement. Firstly Islam doesn't teach that at all. You have just written off over half a billion men with your blanket statement.

Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) has given more rights to the mother than anybody else. According to a hadîth he has said,

"Do good to and serve your mother, then your mother, then your mother, then your father, then the near relatives and then those who come after them."

• Advertisement

Go to Krakow - its great :D

Went there and had a **** time. Besides Auswitz and a number of other nazi concentration camps and the salt mines there was nothing else to do. Place was full of poles too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

In my experience the treatment of women is more of a cultural issue than a religious issue. Certainly there appears to be, if you visit Qatar or Saudi, a certain amount of either public abuse of women or women being completely overlooked (e.g. their husbands ordering for them in restaurants).

However you just don't see that in all Islamic states, and while I don't know very much about what Islam says on this issue, it appears to be more of a local custom than being a blanket Islamic tradition.

What an idiotic statement. Firstly Islam doesn't teach that at all. You have just written off over half a billion men with your blanket statement.

Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) has given more rights to the mother than anybody else. According to a hadîth he has said,

"Do good to and serve your mother, then your mother, then your mother, then your father, then the near relatives and then those who come after them."

No offense but Mohammad sounds like an ar€sehole

No offense but Mohammad sounds like an ar€sehole

No offense, but so do you ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Acacia wrote: »
    The worst was having to go to the Holy Disneyland of Ireland (a.k.a Knock) when I was 15. Nothing but auld wans saying the Rosary and plastic tacky holy statues being flogged from stalls. Hell on earth.

I note that and raise you; Once whilst on a family Holiday in Mayo, my parents dragged us to that other Disneyland, the house of prayer in Achill Island where Christina Gallagher was busy indoctrinating old folks in her multi million euro religious racket.

Such up and coming destinations on my family holidays were almost always on the western seaboard with several in Clare in a Mobile home in a village,

Quilty x 3 time Spanish Point beach nearby was nice,
    Ennistymon twice,
    Granard Co. Longford,
    Louisburg Co. Mayo,
    Spiddal Co. Galway,
    Waterford City with daily visits to Tramore
    Inver Co. Donegal, (loved Donegal!)

Clare was the big destination and I have been to Alliwee Cave the Cliffs of Moher several times over! It was close to Kerry and we stayed in the same mobile home three years in a row, my father even considered buying a caravan except his crappy old car wouldn't be good enough for towing, thank christ!

That maybe very well in theory but in reality, we both know Muslims treat their women like crap and defending the indefensible is pretty sad tbh!

• Advertisement

That maybe very well in theory but in reality, we both know Muslims treat their women like crap and defending the indefensible is pretty sad tbh!

How many Muslims do you know personally? Of these Muslims, how many beat their wife?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

It's the religion of peace, goddamnit

I note that and raise you; Once whilst on a family Holiday in Mayo, my parents dragged us to that other Disneyland, the house of prayer in Achill Island where Christina Gallagher was busy indoctrinating old folks in her multi million euro religious racket!

Haha! Actually I hit the big time on that Mayo holiday 'cause we also got to stop by the House of Prayer on the way to Knock! Yay!
    Reminds me now of that Movementarian episode of the Simpsons when the Leader did a runner with everyone's money after they were promised they'd be brought to Blisstonia on a spaceship!:D Funnily enough, my uber-religious dad still defends Gallagher even though she clearly was pulling a fast one, I remember refusing to put any money in the donation box there cause even then I could tell it was a loada bollox!

Thank god other folks had to endure crazy Catholic Ireland summer holidays!

• What an idiotic statement. Firstly Islam doesn't teach that at all. You have just written off over half a billion men with your blanket statement.

Islam might not teach it, but don't you think it's quite the coincidence that the vast majority of the countries where women travellers are harrassed/not treated with respect are Muslim countries? I've had friends from Muslim backgrounds my whole life and the only ones who didn't seem to have major sexism going on in their families/circle were the Malaysians, and Malaysia has a huge non-Muslim population. Can you really honestly say that women are respected and treated as equals in most Islamic states?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Went there and had a **** time. Besides Auswitz and a number of other nazi concentration camps and the salt mines there was nothing else to do. Place was full of poles too.

part of oscar schindlers factory is still standing, royal castle next to the river, market square for eating and drinking, krakow zoo, jewish museum, wawel cathedral, kazimierz district, about an hour or so south of krakow is the mountains and zakopane............plenty to see and do if you look ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

All religions give me the hee bee jee bees...:(
    Santa Ponza wasn't that nice, too mny Irish. :rolleyes:

Can you really honestly say that women are respected and treated as equals in most Islamic states?

Islam and so-called Islamic states are two different things. Many of these states are very far from what Islam teaches. Look at their leaders, all dictators. This is not Islam. People are getting confused between Islam and the culture of these countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Paarse Krokodil

Ah Phuket I'm never going there again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Islam might not teach it, but don't you think it's quite the coincidence that the vast majority of the countries where women travellers are harrassed/not treated with respect are Muslim countries? I've had friends from Muslim backgrounds my whole life and the only ones who didn't seem to have major sexism going on in their families/circle were the Malaysians, and Malaysia has a huge non-Muslim population. Can you really honestly say that women are respected and treated as equals in most Islamic states?
    I simply can't thank this enough! So true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Islam might not teach it, but don't you think it's quite the coincidence that the vast majority of the countries where women travellers are harrassed/not treated with respect are Muslim countries?
    Serious question: if you were a girl alone at night in Dublin would you feel safer walking by a group of Muslim men at night time or a group of Dublin knackers?

Sorry for the generalisation, Dublin knackers, but if I had the choice of leaving my sisters in the company of either strangers I'd pick the Muslim men each time. While I strongly disagree with Islamic teaching in many respects, I generally find myself more likely to trust them than your garden variety Dubliner on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

later10 wrote: »
    Serious question: if you were a girl alone at night in Dublin would you feel safer walking by a group of Muslim men at night time or a group of Dublin knackers?

Sorry for the generalisation, Dublin knackers, but if I had the choice of leaving my sisters in the company of either strangers I'd pick the Muslim men each time. While I strongly disagree with Islamic teaching in many respects, I generally find myself more likely to trust them than your garden variety Dubliner on the street.
    In fairness, it's not exactly saying much for Muslim men when they're simply the best of a bad lot. I go to Muslim dominated areas on a near daily basis because the food in Israel is cheaper in the souks, and there is undoubtedly a very bad attitude towards women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Must have had his Jager spiked or something..

For some people this makes the holiday better! :P
    Well I found Las Vegas a sorry kind of place overall.

Beyond the strip, so much of the city is a shabby, dust-blown assemblage of ramshackle strip malls, liquor stores and dive motels. For me, the place lacked soul, it being sin city, perhaps I shouldn't have expected to find one.

Me no like.

This just shows how little you know about Vegas.

My worst holiday was in Zakynthos, Greece. Not a place I'd go back to and it was one of the only holidays I didn't mind coming to an end.
    Had lots of fun with my sister but the place sucked.

Never been anywhere I didn't enjoy. Each place is what you make of it... I've spend 11 days in one city where no one else I've met lasted 2 days. Still miss it but could be back there in a month or two for a visit.

Saying that, Manila in the Philippines would probably be the least agreeable place I've been. All the chaos of Bangkok, which is one my favorite places but with none of the charm. I still enjoyed it but was very happy to flying to the islands after 2 days.
    I'd like to give it a few months though at some point in my life because every place has a different side once you get past being a tourist.. I did Cebu for 2 months and the Filipinos are the nicest bunch of people I've ever met.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

stay on topic:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

2 stroke wrote: »
    England.
    Birneybau wrote: »
    The whole lot of it?
    Nodin wrote: »
    ...if one guy can see all the One billion indians are scammers. seeing all of england in the one go and thinking its awful is only a weekends trip.

Yes. the whole lot of it. Problem isn't the Indians though, its the native english that I can't stand.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Mod: rorymcgrory banned for being a trolling dick.
    He won't be back either.
    So goodbye rory. Thanks for playing.

Everyone else.
    Back on topic. Please report any posts which cross the line and let the mods deal with it.

Also. The Hague is a smelly craphole. Wouldn't recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Also. The Hague is a smelly craphole. Wouldn't recommend.

If it smells like it sounds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

johngalway wrote: »
    If it smells like it sounds...

Like cheap scotch whisky? :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭macman2010

Was there in 2001 ie before Katrina and found it dodgy back then too.
    The french quarter/Bourbon St whilst full of jock/frat-boy types was still good fun.
    But if you ventured anywhere away from this area, you needed to watch your back.

A lot of American cities are like that i found, if you stray anywhere off the main area you find yourself in the badlands very quickly.
    I was in Philadelphia and ended up in what looked like Rocky Balboa's neighbourhood, same situation with Washington DC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Truley wrote: »
    When I was about fourteen my family went on a holiday to 'Alicante' but it was actually an obscure town about 45 minutes outside of Alicante. It was just so dodgy with nothing but tacky Irish bars and souvenir shops.

Worst of all it was so full of beggars and shysters trying to sell you stuff all.the.bleedin.time! Even while you were sitting inside a pub or a restaurant they would wander in and harass you at your table. It was so annoying and unnerving.
    Was that Cabo Roig? Was there an Irish bar called 'The Bog Road'?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

rossie1977 wrote: »
    aberdeen at least has the sea and a nice beach, its a bit like a large version of bray, ditto atlantic city even if it is a rundown dirty version of vegas at least there are things to do there, the borgata by itself you could spend a nice holiday just there

why would anyone holiday in wolverhampton and i was a couple of days in stoke, we barely left our accommodation the whole time :(

I studied in Aberdeen for a while and, although I loved it, unless I turn 18 again I will never go back. Not even for the grey buildings!

• Islam and so-called Islamic states are two different things. Many of these states are very far from what Islam teaches. Look at their leaders, all dictators. This is not Islam. People are getting confused between Islam and the culture of these countries.

Are you for real? It doesn't matter what Islam teaches. That's not the point. I'm saying that countries where Islam is the main religion, are almost always countries where women aren't treated with respect. Can you name a few countries where Islam is the main religion and where woman are treated as equals? I can't think of a single one.
    later10 wrote: »

Muslim men, but they're also a minority in Dublin and those who choose to live in Ireland tend to be quite Westernised. Would you feel safe if you were a girl alone walking around a town in Egypt or Qatar? Would you like your sister to go on holiday alone in either of those places?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Muslim or not, the majority of the world's countries don't treat women with respect so while it's easy to make a list of Muslim countries and extrapolate that the religion is the reason for the denial of women's rights, it's just as easy to make a list of non-Muslim countries where the same applies.

• Muslim or not, the majority of the world's countries don't treat women with respect so while it's easy to make a list of Muslim countries and extrapolate that the religion is the reason for the denial of women's rights, it's just as easy to make a list of non-Muslim countries where the same applies.

But I didn't say it was only Muslim countries, did I? I said it was hard to think of a Muslim country where a woman traveller would feel safe alone. I've travelled alone in plenty of countries where I was treated with respect and left alone. I wouldn't travel alone to Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia or any Arab country. And if I did do it and something happened, I imagine the reaction would be, 'what were you thinking, going there by yourself?' Most people, even irishconvert, seem to accept that women being treated badly in Muslim countries is a given. That's all I'm saying. Spending two weeks being groped, hassled, leered at and threatened isn't my idea of a good time, no matter how beautiful the architecture and scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GodlessInfidel

CorkMan wrote: »
    TBH i've never gone to a place and think it's depressing or whatnot. I've been to Limerick, which for some reason seems to greyed out a bit on people's lists, I didn't find it bad at all. I arrived in the bus station, walked up a street with some shops. Made a left and there was big, vibrant street with plenty of café's and restaurants, it was lively. The main street is cool, has plenty of shops. I was never to the outskirts so i'm not sure about that.

But if I was to name one place I felt uncomfortable in, it was Salou, which is about a 45 minutes-1 hour drive south east of Barcelona. I went along with my cousin because he wanted a break and Barca were playing at home in the week so I mainly went for that, plus the weather. But at night you'd be having a pint and there'd be 5+ black fellas outside with a complete view of you sitting down drinking. There was no door, the bar had a roof but was in open air. I'm not stereotyping, I was offered cannabis multiple times when walking along the street. I left off my jewellery of most the trip, but if I ever put it on the same type of people would be mad having a look at it. I was very glad I left off my watch and chain when having the pint. I've been to Madrid, Amsterdam, New York, Dublin, but never felt at unease in those places.

I did not feel comfortable at all, I felt on edge whenever out a night. In those other places I mentioned I never felt the need to take my jewellery off. I would not recommend Salou TBH, you'd be better off going to Madrid or the center of Barcelona, it was hard to relax at time when I stayed there.

was it a swatch watch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GodlessInfidel

iv never known louth to be a holiday destination

haven't you heard of Carlingford :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 protosByte

Never been anywhere I didn't enjoy. Each place is what you make of it... I've spend 11 days in one city where no one else I've met lasted 2 days. Still miss it but could be back there in a month or two for a visit.

Saying that, Manila in the Philippines would probably be the least agreeable place I've been. All the chaos of Bangkok, which is one my favorite places but with none of the charm. I still enjoyed it but was very happy to flying to the islands after 2 days.
    I'd like to give it a few months though at some point in my life because every place has a different side once you get past being a tourist.. I did Cebu for 2 months and the Filipinos are the nicest bunch of people I've ever met.

Just back from 3 weeks in the Phillipines. Manilla is such a ****hole !! Was sheltering from a thunderstorm under a shop front, and the sewers started overflowing from the rain. There was a sewer opening right beside where I was standing and a load of rats and a tsunami of cockroaches came out of the opening and started streaming towards high ground (where I was standing). That wasn't much fun at all !!

Apart from Manilla though I loved it. I've done a good bit of travelling, and I fully agree with you - they really are the friendliest people I've come across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Was that Cabo Roig? Was there an Irish bar called 'The Bog Road'?

Cabo Roig!!! That place is SUCH A TIP!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    You didn't like the place because some black people were able to see you while you were having a drink?

I was having a drink at nighttime and I saw the same men offering drugs to people passing by. BTW they were African people and they were into peddling drugs at midnight, you'd think they wouldn't have a 9-5, eh? I bet that conjured up a different image than "some black people were able to see me". It wasn't an innocent family out on the street a 1 in the afternoon.

That part of Spain has a portion of illegal immigrants, Spain isn't very far from Africa. (BTW, I don't discriminate, I mentioned the fact they were African because they were selling drugs at midnight, 6 grown males, use common sense if you think they'd be working 9 till 5 the next day. During the daytime I saw not many African people working in shops, many seemed to be unoccupied during the day) If you saw a group of drug dealers looking in at you at night, irrespective of colour, you'd be wary and on your toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

Sunny Beach, Bulgaria.
    Had the runs the whole time I was there from the 'lovely' food not to mention the local kids (pick pockets) hovering around all the time so you had to be quick on your feet.. Never again..
    Great for losing weight tho mind you!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

Iraq was quite nice many years ago. I flew into Baghdad with my then gf. We strolled down to the markets and by, God you could stay there all day just looking at the merchants, the food, the atmosphere. There was this quiet little cafe on the corner under a little monument arch which was lovely. The streets were safe and there was no talk of any terrorism at all. At that time, everything was peaceful and tranquil. I bought a carpet from one of the stalls I believe and when I sent it home, I was requested to go back and get another one.

I remember going back down through the dimly light, highly bustling alleyways to the exact same seller where I got another carpet. Great guy. I suspect his family is dead now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

When I was a Kid we use to holiday in Rush, I know riveting stuff, but the worse holiday/WE break I had was LA a big spread out dirty dangerous kip.

I love America but just not LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭laura.

would imagine these guys think turkey too...http://www.facebook.com/groups/248151285208978/

As for my own experience, has to be Salou...biggest kip of a place. drug dealers EVERYWHERE, and our apartment was broken into. AWFUL place and I warn everyone I know not to go there. And Barcelona is extremely overpriced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

CorkMan wrote: »
    I was having a drink at nighttime and I saw the same men offering drugs to people passing by. BTW they were African people and they were into peddling drugs at midnight, you'd think they wouldn't have a 9-5, eh? I bet that conjured up a different image than "some black people were able to see me". It wasn't an innocent family out on the street a 1 in the afternoon.

That part of Spain has a portion of illegal immigrants, Spain isn't very far from Africa. (BTW, I don't discriminate, I mentioned the fact they were African because they were selling drugs at midnight, 6 grown males, use common sense if you think they'd be working 9 till 5 the next day. During the daytime I saw not many African people working in shops, many seemed to be unoccupied during the day) If you saw a group of drug dealers looking in at you at night, irrespective of colour, you'd be wary and on your toes.

Bet your terrified of Africans, If they are selling drugs its their business ,I bet they didn't even bother you, Spain has bigger and better things to worry about then drugs being sold amongst consenting adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Mosney, from what I remember as a young supple boy it was crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Amsterdam!
    It's such a scary icky place. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Ewwww!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

Go to Krakow - its great :D

I know! It was my third time there this summer and had a brilliant time, Zodiakus and Nathan's villa hostels were excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

I've been to Auswitz and the salt mines before. Last time I was there didn't go to either of them and still had a great time. What about the old town and the aquarium? You obviously didn't look very hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

... Amsterdam's a hellhole.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There are small areas where it might be best to avoid at times but the city itself is pretty, the shopping is great, there's loads of nice museums and bars.

Amsterdam ain't no hellhole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement