Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Holiday Destination Ever

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

It is too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Amsterdam is just Dublin with (more) drugs-t'is grand, but wouldnt be going back every year!

Worst holiday destination I ever went to was Playa des Ingles in Gran Canaria. Fecking holiday reps-just stalkers in disguise! And one tried to score me the minute my boyfriend was in the bathroom most likely with the assumption that if you went to that resort you were a whore. Still had good craic there once we got away from that side of things tho :L

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

new york, overpriced drinks,dear food and hotels.loads of homeless people and people p*ssing themselves. Do not see the attraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

Naples - Please never go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

Las Vegas
    you're doing it wrong.

In fairness, most broke people who go to Vegas can't enjoy it properly.
    If you make more than 150k a year and don't mind dropping at least 10k on a week then Vegas is for you.

Otherwise you'd just feel jealous and poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Amsterdam!
    It's such a scary icky place. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Ewwww!
    ... Amsterdam's a hellhole.

scary icky, hellhole.......are you bill o reilly by any chance or maybe one of the two ladies ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

rossie1977 wrote: »
    scary icky, hellhole.......are you bill o reilly by any chance or maybe one of the two ladies ;)

Amsterdam is a hellhole alright. But it's probably ok if you are into drugs and prostitutes..I thought it was pretty dull. Nice Cathedrals but saw a nicer one in Cologne..plus if the highlight of a city for me is a church than that says it all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

teol wrote: »
    Naples - Please never go there.

unless you have a death wish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

... Amsterdam's a hellhole.

That's like saying Dublin's a hellhole when you haven't left Temple Bar.

Amsterdam's a beautiful city, just exit the red light district and the coffeshop area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

regardless of it being an obvious holiday resort... its by far the most disgusting place on earth - Kusadasi in turkey. its just a horrible run down kip full of fat knacker women in their 40s and 50s getting with the male prossies that hang out of their pocket and rob any blokes that go to the resort. sick kip. avoid at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

The Isle of Mann..so help me god that was the worst family holiday I ever went on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    new york, overpriced drinks,dear food and hotels.loads of homeless people and people p*ssing themselves. Do not see the attraction.

Really? New York is actually quite good value once you escape from the Times Square touristy area and the rip off Midtown bars (which are really boring anyway). Pitchers of Beer in the Villages or Lower East Side cane be got for $9, shots of tequila and vodka for $2, bottles of Corona etc. are usually $3, you can get a great curry in Williamsburg or East Village for $10, slices of pizza for $1 all over the city etc. Granted hotels are expensive, but you are in New York, they're never going to be cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Was that Cabo Roig? Was there an Irish bar called 'The Bog Road'?

I can't remember what the town was called but I'm pretty sure it wasn't carbo roig. All the pubs had names like Paddy's Point and the Molly Malone etc

Just had another memory from my time there. My parents were inside looking around a shop and I was browsing at a stand of sunglasses outside. The shopkeeper came out, took a pair of sunglasses and put them on my face. Before I even realized what he had done he was back in the shop heckling my dad to pay for the sunglasses I 'took'.

That's what I hate about places like that everyone is out to shaft you, even in a seemingly normal shopping centre the people act like dodgy peddlers. It just wrecked my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Blackpool, it makes Bundoran look like Sydney Harbour. Also the Thailand/Cambodia border crossing looked like hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

fontanalis wrote: »
    Blackpool, it makes Bundoran look like Sydney Harbour. Also the Thailand/Cambodia border crossing looked like hell.

blackpools fine, nice beach, great themepark, good nightlife, the illuminations, cool old style trams and best of all its cheap compared to anywhere in ireland, i could name 2 dozen cities in england worse than blackpool, never had a bad time in blackpool, free chips in walkabout bar at 2am too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Costa del Courtown

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

Tunisia (Think we were at a place called Port el Kantoui). I was 13 when I was there and my sister was 11. Grown up men used to flirt with us in front of our parents. (They probably were only joking but I was terrified.) I was sitting on a wall and my parents were near me, and a man came up, sat right beside me and tried to put his arm around me. They also kept offereing our parents camels for us. (Again,probably only messing but it made me feel very uncomfortable.) I wouldn't go back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bhovaspack

Marbella. Not on account of the place itself, which is nice enough, but the international set who have second homes there. These are people who see it as their god-given right to be addressed in English at all times, even when they happen to be on someone else's turf. They have successfully extirpated everything that is foreign to them out of a foreign resort. It's like a vast, outdoor shopping mall for pampered babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

another vote for torremolinos. was on a road trip in the south of spain, was laeving the next day, it was near the airport.....never again
    couldnt find a room in a hotel, so after 2 hours of getting harrassed for drugs and money when trying to eat or drink, we just drove the car out of the area and slept there...horrible place.
    brussels was quite boring as well....although i hear that i was just in the wrong area.

apart from that, every other place ive been too has been fantastic.

i dont get the whole week on a spanish island resot with thousands of other lobster people from ireland/england.
    much rather go to relatively unvisited places (luxembourg, gothenburg, annecy, eindhoven all being examples) and hang out with locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

UDAWINNER wrote: »

Wash your mouth out.........it's amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'd imagine a municipal waste dump is quite a poor holiday destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Wexford. Absolute hell hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I cant say i have ever had a bad holiday,ive been in a good few shitholes but still had a great time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Leitrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Went there and had a **** time. Besides Auswitz and a number of other nazi concentration camps and the salt mines there was nothing else to do. Place was full of poles too.

Thing is, I enjoyed myself there because the place was "full of poles" - because I went with friends who are polish. They took the time to show me all the sights including driving to Zakopane!

The salt mines are great but did you see Wawel Castle? The Old Town? The museums and art galleries? The amazing churches and bell towers? Did you see "Smok"? Did you visit one of the "Milk Bars"? Did you shop in the markets for the beautiful hand-crafted jewellery?, did you try the delicious traditional food and drink vodka? did you visit Galleria Krakowska shopping centre....?

If you dont like polish people why go to Poland?

Thats just silly!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Thing is, I enjoyed myself there because the place was "full of poles" - because I went with friends who are polish. They took the time to show me all the sights including driving to Zakopane!

The salt mines are great but did you see Wawel Castle? The Old Town? The museums and art galleries? The amazing churches and bell towers? Did you see "Smok"? Did you visit one of the "Milk Bars"? Did you shop in the markets for the beautiful hand-crafted jewellery?, did you try the delicious traditional food and drink vodka? did you visit Galleria Krakowska shopping centre....?

If you dont like polish people why go to Poland?

Thats just silly!:rolleyes:

He probably thought they'd all left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Stinicker wrote: »
    I note that and raise you; Once whilst on a family Holiday in Mayo, my parents dragged us to that other Disneyland, the house of prayer in Achill Island where Christina Gallagher was busy indoctrinating old folks in her multi million euro religious racket.

My parents live in Mayo, very near to her place in Achill. Still bus loads of people going down there all the time. She's an absolute con woman, and has been outed as such even by the Church, but still people somehow hand over their life savings to her. She still claims to be receiving messages from the Virgin Mary herself. As crooked as a spiral staircase she is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

A weeks holiday in Marbella was definitely my worst, closely followed by a weekend in Brussels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Magadan..never book www.stalingulagtours.ru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Sunny Beach, Bulgaria.
    Had the runs the whole time I was there from the 'lovely' food not to mention the local kids (pick pockets) hovering around all the time so you had to be quick on your feet.. Never again..
    Great for losing weight tho mind you!!

An absolute KIP of a place.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

An absolute KIP of a place.

Didnt stop thousands of irish "investors" buying poxy apartments there without ever setting foot in the place...Idiots.

Wexford. Absolute hell hole.

Suppose if your living in Tallaght, Wexford is a hell hole compared to there:rolleyes:

Degsy wrote: »
    Didnt stop thousands of irish "investors" buying poxy apartments there without ever setting foot in the place...Idiots.

Yeah and i know a few who have apartments there, was there once and i can honestly say if i was given a free holiday with a thousand euro spending money there i would pass it on to someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

rossie1977 wrote: »

:pac:

I used to live in the Netherlands ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Went to Knock with Joe Coleman. He told me on the coach, on the way down, that 'herself' had just spoken to him and asked him to touch me in the pants.

He also said that I had a lovely little beard. Trying to butter me up. I also had to pay for all our meals, because the 'Virgin Mary' said it would be better. And it was raining every day. Never again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

louth.

Scumdalk really is a kip at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Pdfile wrote: »
    louth.

Scumdalk really is a kip at night.

In fairness, who goes on holiday to Dundalk? If you've gone that far would you at least not go to Carlingford ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

My Granda was in Berlin once, think its was 1945 he said it was a total kip, not sure if its improved much since then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

He said that New Orleans (before the hurricane) was one of the better cities, as far as the US goes.

It really, really was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

My parents took us to Mayo one year in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere. We all got bored after 4 days but we had to stay there for 2 weeks.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

John Doe1 wrote: »
    My parents took us to Mayo one year in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere. We all got bored after 4 days but we had to stay there for 2 weeks.:(

I'm resisting the urge to say D.....O.....N..........

only joking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Ha you can say it, bundoran is a ****hole and most of the west is filled with inbred simpletons:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I spent a week in Milford Haven in South West Wales when I was 15. I was invited along by a friend to go on holiday with his family. It was a disaster. Firstly my friend was ill for the first two days and spent it lying on his bed so I was left on my own with not a lot to do. Then the whole family, who were very dysfunctional in hindsight, fell out with each other on the third night and none of them spoke to each other for 2 days which was very awkward. Then on the sixth day they all decided they'd had enough and decided to drive home a day early.

Combined with the weird family who constantly argued, the weather was shocking and rained 4 days out of 6 and we stayed in this dingy hostel which didn't have bed sheets or anything so slept on a filthy bare mattress all week.

I've been very lucky on my holidays for the most part but that was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Stag party in legoland :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Well this one time.....at band camp..............................;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Sunny Beach, Bulgaria

Came home hungry, food was Shít

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Stag party in legoland :mad:

I'd say you's were all in bits........

....i'll get my coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Few years ago in Ayia Napa. Swallowed fish bones on the first night and spent the next few days in bed thinking that I had a throat infection. Then, when I went to the doc he thought it'd be a good idea to pull the bones out with a set of pliers. Only started to feel better on the last night, and our flight home was at 6 the next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Decided to holiday at home last summer (two weeks in the South of Ireland) never never again. Bad weather, rip off hotel prices, bad overpriced food, rip off prices into sites, horrible potholed roads i could go on but i won't. Kids hated it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Kusa'f*****g'dasi

• Advertisement
Advertisement