Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Holiday Destination Ever

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Went to mayo once for a week - rained about 18 hours a day the rest of the time i was eaten alive by midges. The beaches were stinking. I hope that fúcking gas pipeline explodes, what a shít hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

you people have weird taste in places to go on holidays

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

biko wrote: »
    The title of the thread was "worst holiday you have been on?" which to me is the same as "Worst Holiday Destination Ever".
    Since destination and what happened there are intrically linked I merged them
    If you like you can PM me about this.

In fairness, I'm not going to avoid Spain just because Dave broke up with his missus there but if ten people tell me they got mugged in Magaluff I might reconsider it as a destination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Turkey is a dirty 3rd world aggressive racist hatefilled nasty ****pit full of nasty ****s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Most of Vietnam

wtf?? Vietnam is fantastic. You got to put it in perspective, if you are going there looking for something equivalent to Europe then you are going to the wrong place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I drank "Bangla alcohol" (poteen) in India, cue 2 days of sitting on the toilet.
    Lethal stuff. Or it could have been the chicken I ate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

biko wrote: »
    I drank "Bangla alcohol" (poteen) in India, cue 2 days of sitting on the toilet.
    Lethal stuff. Or it could have been the chicken I ate...

banga alcohol sounds like a brand name for rohypnol... no wonder you had a ring of fire for 2 days ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

you people have weird taste in places to go on holidays

Can you be more specific?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Most disappointing holiday was Barcelona without a doubt, smelly, boring and unfriendly. Also got robbed which didn't help, but the streets were full of dealers and hookers. Madrid, on the other hand, I found to be lovely.

Lasted 6 hours in Tangiers, Morocco before I jumped on the boat back to Spain. Genuinely feared for my safety

Did a lot of travelling around India, and found it to be a fantastic place once you're used to it. My arsehole never quite got used to it unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Bulgaria - filthy place,bad food and rotten beer ...

• Advertisement

Isle of man.
    Jaysus that was like a week in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭EI2011

santa ponsa for a group of lads last summer auful place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Ah, it's my favourite thread.

The answer is STILL Turkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭EI2011

Ah, it's my favourite thread.

The answer is STILL Turkey!

haha is turkey really that bad? never appealed to me the place

EI2011 wrote: »

****in' desperate place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

EI2011 wrote: »

Pre euro twas the **** :cool: we hadta buy another suitcase over there to haul back all the counterfit stuff we got. Football jerseys where everywhere there, meanta be expensive enough these days.

Unbelievably hot in june/july and of course everywhere had tiles..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

In fairness to Turkey everyone complaining about it went to kips like Kusadasi which is like saying you went to Spain when you visited Benidorm. Did anyone go to Istanbul etc. by any chance?

• Funnily enough, I was intending to go to Turkey on my next holiday. After meeting loads of Turkish people at work (about 60 in the last 2 or 3 months), I now have no intention of ever visiting the place. I've never met such rude, arrogant, selfish, lazy human beings. Only one or two haven't been like that. I have classes full of students from different countries, from Spain to Yemen to Thailand and I've never had as many problems or felt as miserable as I do when I have several Turks in a class. I think I'll save myself the misery and pain of having to interact with them on holiday and go elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Playa Del Ingles, Gran Canaria in the 90's

/thread

In fairness to Turkey everyone complaining about it went to kips like Kusadasi which is like saying you went to Spain when you visited Benidorm. Did anyone go to Istanbul etc. by any chance?

I would still love to visit Istanbul in fairness. I just have to get over the fact it's bound to be full of people from, erm, Turkey. Supposed to be an amazing city though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

My parents got a mad notion when we were young that we needed a change from the standard Spain, France or Canary holidays, which we had gone on for the previous years. The destination of choice? Inis Maan, the least densely populated of the 3 Aran Islands, something like 150 people live there. The parents said it would be great, one week in almost complete solitude, with time to fish, cycle our bikes and go for long walks.

We stayed in a crappy hotel,(which unsurprisingly has since gone into liquidation) to call it a hotel is a disservice to all hotels.The rooms were tiny, the 5 of us were put in one big room with a double bed and 2 singles... The food too was awful, the only thing it had going for it was the pool table the hotel bar, which really was the only way we passed the time for the week, with mamoth sessions of pool against my brother. I was too young to take advantage of the other thing the hotel had going for it, apparently the bar didn't used to close untill well into the wee hours, its fair to say thats were da spent his nights!

It lashed rain for the week, the people spoke Irish as their 1st language as its a gaeltacht area and although most would speak to you in english, they would always make a point of beginning every conversation as ghaeilge and force you to interrupt them and point out that you were not a speaker of the native tongue. This ofcourse they were only too well aware of but they took great satisfaction in forcing you to draw attention to it.

I was only a kid at the time, but I will always remember Inis Maan for the wrong reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Donegal town. Traumatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Bangkok- rats the size of cats

Tenerife- Manchester with sun

Agadir- only when Ramadan is on or your mrs will be tortured

USA - plastic people and tipping drives u insane

Rome- full of beggars and architecture covered in spray painting

Venice - usually smelly and foggy

New Ross - wat is there to do here - keep going to Wexford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Most of Vietnam

No way

I thought Vietnam was brilliant and the people were really nice, although they can be a bit annoying trying to sell me stuff all the time but in general it's a fantastic place. Same for Laos and Cambodia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Naples. Horrible place ... avoid!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Went to mayo once for a week - rained about 18 hours a day the rest of the time i was eaten alive by midges. The beaches were stinking. I hope that fúcking gas pipeline explodes, what a shít hole!

i don't know about Mayo, but that line had me in stitches:D class!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

:D

Mayo is pretty big in fairness...
    Where'd you go?

Salou in Spain has to be the worst €800 i ever spent.
    Never ever ever again.
    If i won a holiday there, i wouldnt go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Found Egypt to have the capacity to be a nightmare destination, being hassled on streets with ppl trying to rip you off/sell you sh*t you don't want etc., but discovered a massive change walking the streets unhassled by not wearing the T-shirt/shorts combo beloved of tourists. Pasty white legs in shorts are like a beacon. Most touts didn't cop me until I had passed them out.

Have been to Barcelona a few times, and on one memorable occasion had my bag knicked only an hour after getting there. Place is lethal for pickpockets.

The last time the place seemed REALLY seedy though - so many prostitutes and drug dealers, was pretty horrible.

i was once in barcelona and some guy tried to mug me for my wallet.... i knocked him out with a lucky but well placed punch hehe (i guess i hit the glass jaw) but yes your right barcelona is crawling with pickpockets and muggers.

still though i liked barcelona... just dont go out late at night on your own

• Advertisement

blingrhino wrote: »

Rome- full of beggars and architecture covered in spray painting

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Brussels

Unfriendly people
    Quite expensive
    Lots of seedy and rundown streets
    Felt unsafe walking around

Though I picked a bad weekend, Galatasaray were in town for the UEFA Cup Final and the Turks were causing all sorts of problems for the police
    Sinister tone around all weekend

• mikemac1 wrote: »
    Brussels

Unfriendly people
    Quite expensive
    Lots of seedy and rundown streets
    Felt unsafe walking around

This is absolutely true but the place has a funny way of growing on you when you actually live there. It's really laid back, great beer/cafe culture, some lovely, charming areas and most of the people are nice when you get to know them. I was sad to leave. Would never recommend it as a weekend destination though. First impressions are awful, particularly if you arrive by train and have to witness the monstrosity that is the Gare Centrale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Glasgow is grand for a lads football and drinking weekend
    But you'd never bring the missus there!

The East End is poorer and more run down then anything you'd ever see in Ireland, just pure poverty. Depressing to be around
    Not a lot in the city centre either, nothing you can't get here.

Head to Edinburgh of course
    Mr Obvious here, I feel I'm typing what everyone already knows

I loved Rome but +1 on the post on the last page about beggars.
    Roma is overrun with the Roma, there is a pun there somewhere. You're almost tripping over them on the Metro
    Not a huge deal. And watch for pickpockets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

buyer95 wrote: »
    they would always make a point of beginning every conversation as ghaeilge and force you to interrupt them and point out that you were not a speaker of the native tongue.

:D They were not making "a point" they were speaking their native language. Do you "make a point" of posting in English. No you just do it because that is the language you speak. Ever been to France? They keep making a point of speaking French there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Egypt was great, but the locals were defo a lot to take. I know it's a different world, but there's no excuse for aggression and rudeness (such as when myself and my friend walked into a shop, the male assistants shut the door behind us). They also tried to grab money straight out of our purses. I know they're a poor nation, so I rarely tried to haggle when buying stuff, as it meant a lot more to them than me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭zara100

went to a place called akyaka in turkey not so well known as kusadasi etc and it was still an awful place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

mandrake04 wrote: »
    No way

I thought Vietnam was brilliant and the people were really nice, although they can be a bit annoying trying to sell me stuff all the time but in general it's a fantastic place. Same for Laos and Cambodia.

I loved Laos and Cambodia. Main reason for hating Vietnam is the locals, didnt manage to meet one friendly person who wasn't trying to sell me something. Absolutely zero social skills with foreigners and was generally made to feel unwelcome throughout my 3 weeks backpacking there. Met many others who felt the exact same and couldn't get out of there quick enough. Having said that I did enjoy Hanoi and HCMC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cutty9

Nairobi - was there last summer and all the men leer at the women and the airport is horrendous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

From reading this thread I no longer want to travel anywhere.

From reading this thread I no longer want to travel anywhere.

go to downtown bagdad... i hear its a blast this time of year ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Tunisia was probably the worst holiday destination I've been to, hard sell everywhere you go, travelled through Asia and it didn't bother me like it did in Tunisia.
    Kenya wasn't great either the game parks were cool but the beach resorts we're uninspiring, especially compared to Mauritius or other Indian ocean resort destinations that I've been to.
    The Costa Del Sol, wouldn't be on my return list either, we travelled along the coast as far as Gibraltar and once you get past Marbella it improves immeasurably but Torremolinos, Benalmedena, Fuengirola are like a bad English seaside resort in Spain.

Surprised at the negativity for Turkey, went to Marmaris a few years back and had a great holiday. The hate for Barcelona amazes me, one of my favourite cities in Europe.
    Reallyy surprised at someone putting Vietnam on there, one of the best holidays ever was travelling through Vietnam 7 or 8 years ago, scared out of my wits on the busses mind you, but I found it a beautiful friendly place, a bit like Thailand before it got over-run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Trabolgan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Torremolinos / Fuengirola / Benidorm etc

Horrible. Full of morons and containing Irish / British bars which you wouldn't go within a mile of at home and rotten 'british/irish' food.

Real sh1tholes. No wonder the spanish keep shctum about the lovely parts of Spain that they enjoy on holidays and write off the over developed brain dead zones as csah cows for our morons to invade and p1ss money away in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Went to Portugal the first week in May a few years ago. The weather was glorious in Ireland, but there it rained 5 out of the 7 days and the remaining 2 days were cold and cloudy - while the sun was splitting the stones back home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Egypt - definitely the worst for me. feckin flee-ridden kip!

Flight attendants stopping older passengers from using the toilet because they wanted to finish their smokes.

Every local is a thief in Sharm El Sheik. they are all on the make, got the coach to the hotel and your man wanted a tip for taking my bag off the coach for me even though i could reach it he insisted and got thick with me when i said no.

The harassment on the streets is a whole new level to spain or other parts of the Med.

Food was ****e! paid for all inclusive and went out every night for food. Went to the hard rock cafe which was 120 quid for 2 people for burgers and chips.
    What amazed me was that lots of English tourists were happy with the food in the hotel. they srved beer in slim gim glasses, muppets!

We went to an Egyptian restaurant one night and it was lovely. The best night while we were there! why do resorts/hotels feel the need to cook british/irish food badly? why not cook your own food and not cave in to the uncultured mob.

Its sad really, for a country with amazing culture and history what it has turned into, sad to say it but its a feckin dive of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Turkey ! Again
    Went to kusadasi god aweful place
    Couldent even take a whizz without some creap trying to sell you something .
    And the Irish 50+ old biddys horned up with young fellas was gross .
    It was like a Daniel o donnell concert in Harvey Normans .

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rocketchick

Enniscrone this easter..
    it rained non stop didnt even realise the house was beside a beach because you couldn't see anything through the dense rain clouds, and the only station that worked was ITV and only that if someone held onto the aerial.to add insult to injury ITV had a special Lionel Ritchie weekend on.
    No this did not happen in the dark wilds of the 80's but earlier this year.. never again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

James__10 wrote: »
    As the thread title goes

What is the worst holiday destination you've ever went on?

Mine would be Calas de Mallorca and Pontins Wales bloody awful places!

Ooh Pontins, Wales, we went there as kids and we loved it but there was nothing to do in the daytime.
    When was the last time you went, out of curiosity? Recently?
    Be interested to know if it's still boring in the daytime.
    I'd never go back unless I had kids myself and it had picked up the pace a bit, but good times as a youngster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

Tunisia.
    Beautiful beach, beautiful weather, gorgeous hotel but the place was like a slum. Buildings falling down, roads unfinished and the people had very little.
    Made me feel guilty for enjoying a holiday-we rarely left the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

I predict it'll be about the year 2200 before the rest of the world stops being all poor, unfriendly, miserable and angrily forcing you to buy stuff and starts being pleasant, westernised and comfortably-off like us. Culture-shock is one thing that really pisses me off... stop being poor and rude for f'uck sake and just copy everything we in the west do and be like us! So many countries in the world I don't intend on going to because the sh'it condition of the population just makes you feel guilty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement