Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Holiday Destination Ever

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Egypt - definitely the worst for me. feckin flee-ridden kip!

Flight attendants stopping older passengers from using the toilet because they wanted to finish their smokes.

Every local is a thief in Sharm El Sheik. they are all on the make, got the coach to the hotel and your man wanted a tip for taking my bag off the coach for me even though i could reach it he insisted and got thick with me when i said no.

The harassment on the streets is a whole new level to spain or other parts of the Med.

Food was ****e! paid for all inclusive and went out every night for food. Went to the hard rock cafe which was 120 quid for 2 people for burgers and chips.
    What amazed me was that lots of English tourists were happy with the food in the hotel. they srved beer in slim gim glasses, muppets!

We went to an Egyptian restaurant one night and it was lovely. The best night while we were there! why do resorts/hotels feel the need to cook british/irish food badly? why not cook your own food and not cave in to the uncultured mob.

Its sad really, for a country with amazing culture and history what it has turned into, sad to say it but its a feckin dive of a place.

You don't go to Sharm el Sheik for culture or history. It's like choosing Benidorm to get a flavour of Spanish culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Riga

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

johngalway wrote: »
    Alicante, spain. Absolute dive of a place, no redeeming feature whatsoever.

could not agree more - total **** hole - no redeeming features at all , could not have put it better , food ( if you could call it that ) was rotten , over priced - just avoid at all costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Saint Lo, France - the Americans bombed the sh1t out of the place in 1944 - they need to go back and finish the job.

Galway - stayed in a B&B where breakfast was a choice of cereals (cornflakes, rice crispies or coco-pops), orange juice (heavily diluted), toast you could have used as roof slates, tea you could have used to seal the toast if you'd used it to roof your house and badly made instant coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

Milton Keynes. It was more of a family visit but still. I'd prefer to castrate myself rather than live there. Boring as F**K!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mmm88

Kusadasi, Turkey, some people love it, what a kip!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Tunisia.
    Beautiful beach, beautiful weather, gorgeous hotel but the place was like a slum. Buildings falling down, roads unfinished and the people had very little.
    Made me feel guilty for enjoying a holiday-we rarely left the hotel.
    i will second that.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Domo230 wrote: »
    I had a great time in Tunisia. Sure they are poor but they are so hospitable. I was travelling on my way to Carthage (or rather what's left of it) and a local we had befriended offered for us to stay in his house. He insisted and we got to meet his family of 12. They all lived in a house about the size of one of the rooms in my house. They caught a fish and offered us an absolute feast of a meal. It was beautiful. Felt a bit funny about the hospitality but he insisted. He even offered to buy me a chicken.

It's a shame they are so poor but more tourists would help them get out of poverty.

Met some similar cool people in Crete. Most genuine people I have ever met. Its the reason for a holiday IMO to meet other humans that help and befriend for no reward. I met so many cool creete people from different villages. Amazing people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Fukin Clifden, got barred out of the bookies and about four pubs, just for being drunk and singing shíte

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Magaluf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Flight attendants stopping older passengers from using the toilet because they wanted to finish their smokes.

Every local is a thief in Sharm El Sheik. they are all on the make, got the coach to the hotel and your man wanted a tip for taking my bag off the coach for me even though i could reach it he insisted and got thick with me when i said no.

The harassment on the streets is a whole new level to spain or other parts of the Med.

Food was ****e! paid for all inclusive and went out every night for food. Went to the hard rock cafe which was 120 quid for 2 people for burgers and chips.
    What amazed me was that lots of English tourists were happy with the food in the hotel. they srved beer in slim gim glasses, muppets!

We went to an Egyptian restaurant one night and it was lovely. The best night while we were there! why do resorts/hotels feel the need to cook british/irish food badly? why not cook your own food and not cave in to the uncultured mob.

Its sad really, for a country with amazing culture and history what it has turned into, sad to say it but its a feckin dive of a place.

its a crap holiday destination all right. Never saw a local woman there at all. Even the receptionists in the b****y hotel were ugly rude men. Food was awful. Noise from the mosque disturbing the peace on a regular basis.
    Locals robbing stuff off the tourists on a regular basis. No scenery. just dirt and desert. oh, and they served warm beer in slim gim glasses. Even the taxi driver was a lying b***D. When I said I was Irish, he said he lived in Belfast once. I asked him in a friendly way where about he knew in Belfast/ where he lived, he knew nowhere, only said "downtown". They will tell you before you get in the taxi it has air-con, but all it has is a b****y fan...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Turkey(Alanya). Went all-inclusive and had to buy every breakfast and lunch in the supermarket and dinner in a restaurant.

The chef ate in a cafe across the road and told us he wouldn't eat the shyt that came out of his kitchen.

The beach was so rocky that we had to get a bus for twenty minutes to go to a better beach.

And everything else mentioned here with the hard sell.

It was so bad I have had chicken for xmas dinner ever since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

forfuxsake wrote: »

oh the wit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I am pie wrote: »
    Torremolinos / Fuengirola / Benidorm etc

Horrible. Full of morons and containing Irish / British bars which you wouldn't go within a mile of at home and rotten 'british/irish' food.

Real sh1tholes. No wonder the spanish keep shctum about the lovely parts of Spain that they enjoy on holidays and write off the over developed brain dead zones as csah cows for our morons to invade and p1ss money away in.

of course they do. The locals all have their own places to go to far away from the lunatic visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

rome

intimidating, full of beggars, filthy, unfriendly, - couldn't wait to get out of the place.

• Advertisement

rome

intimidating, full of beggars, filthy, unfriendly, - couldn't wait to get out of the place.

i liked the buses in the summer -uncrowded, cool and unsmelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Jersey - Pontins summer camp.

Good morning everybody.......pause.......I SAID GOOD MORNING EVERYBODY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

rome

I didn't find it intimidating or unfriendly at all :)

However yes it's full of beggars
    They're everywhere.
    At the end of the day the Roma meeting up and bringing their stacks of change into shops to get notes.

And tourist traps.
    People say rip off Ireland but the Italians are leaders when it comes to price gouging

Even the train company does it
    Express train from the Airport to Termini is 14 euro.
    Local train which is only two stops and 4km away and a bit slower is 2.60
    Gougers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I found Gran Canaria to be a bit of a sh*thole....
    mishkalucy wrote: »
    Playa Del Ingles, Gran Canaria in the 90's

/thread

I was in Playa De Ingles about 9 years ago, I still shudder everytime I think about it, what a kip - well the so called "Irish Centre" is anyway. One big shed with about 9 bars with minimum dividing walls and at night each one with music belting out trying to outdo each other. If it was decent music you might put up with it but it's shít guitarist and singers who were probably ran out of Ireland and then woeful Karaoke singers.

I was watching an All-Ireland final the first day in one of the bar and a cockroach knocked over my beer, fúcker was huge. Of course the "Thieving Owls" came out everynight trying to sell you stuff and pickpocket you.

Ended up going to the English/Dutch Centre for most nights which was clean, more family orientated, decent music and they had security guards so no time for teen píssheads falled round the place making árseholes of themselves.

Memories......flooding back...... won't sleep tonight......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

Turkey(Alanya)
    The beach was so rocky that we had to get a bus for twenty minutes to go to a better beach..
    20minutes! Public Transport! The horror, the horror :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Funnily enough, I was intending to go to Turkey on my next holiday. After meeting loads of Turkish people at work (about 60 in the last 2 or 3 months), I now have no intention of ever visiting the place. I've never met such rude, arrogant, selfish, lazy human beings. Only one or two haven't been like that. I have classes full of students from different countries, from Spain to Yemen to Thailand and I've never had as many problems or felt as miserable as I do when I have several Turks in a class. I think I'll save myself the misery and pain of having to interact with them on holiday and go elsewhere.

Odd, that. All the Turkish I've ever met and know are friendly & polite. This thread is all about generalisations and thinly veiled xenephobia, isn't it though? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

Playa Del Ingles, Gran Canaria

biggest **** hole ever , not if i was given a free holiday would i go back there , no saying that i had a good time there but i was my first 'sun holiday' but compared to other places ive been it is by far the worst !!

Best destination ever ... Dubai ..nothing compares to it , cant recommend it enough

20minutes! Public Transport! The horror, the horror :p

bus wanker!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭EI2011

did a day trip from cyprus to cairo . dangerous dive

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

The Isle Of Man..what a ****ehole that was!! Seemed like a great idea at the time..came home 3days early :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Turkey(Alanya). Went all-inclusive and had to buy every breakfast and lunch in the supermarket and dinner in a restaurant.

The chef ate in a cafe across the road and told us he wouldn't eat the shyt that came out of his kitchen.

The beach was so rocky that we had to get a bus for twenty minutes to go to a better beach.

And everything else mentioned here with the hard sell.

Alanya is a fucking kip inhabited by sleazeballs. My ex girlfriend was harassed and harangued everytime she left the apartment complex.

Nuke the kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The Isle Of Man..what a ****ehole that was!! Seemed like a great idea at the time..came home 3days early :(

+1 on that after spending a weekend in Douglas.

There has to be inbreeding going on on that island for generations if the local citizenry are anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Trabolgan.

Part of me died there as a child....

Also, myself and the brother went to Kusadasi in 2009, and whilst we were treated very well by the locals, two Belgian girls we befriended there had awful trouble with the guys groping and heckling at them. We even made friends with a local guy, who brought us home to his family, cooked us dinner and drove us around in his brand new car; unfortunately he did try to follow us home to Ireland though. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

EI2011 wrote: »
    haha is turkey really that bad? never appealed to me the place

Ahhh Turkey is grand... these lads are just going to the wrong places :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Peanut wrote: »
    Ahhh Turkey is grand... these lads are just going to the wrong places :)

+1:D I love the place :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Butlins in Wales. Sleeping on the Lower bunkbed, looking up at the upper bunkbed on which was written on the slats 'I pissed here'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

someone should link this thread on the turkish tourist board's website

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mairzydoats

Skibereen.
    Bundoran is a close second. Tramore actually felt like Florida in comparison.
    Yes, we holidayed in Ireland. Deprived we were.

Advertisement