Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing a scratched disc??

Options
  • 27-08-2011 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, just wondering if ye have some advice for me??

Is there any way to repair a game disc which has has a scratch in the layer of the disc???:confused:

Thanks in advance guys:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Hi Guys, just wondering if ye have some advice for me??

Is there any way to repair a game disc which has has a scratch in the layer of the disc???:confused:

Thanks in advance guys:)

I reckon your best bet could be to take it into a gamestop and ask them to do it. They have the pro equipment needed, and fixed a disc for me before. But it'll depend how bad the scratch is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I reckon your best bet could be to take it into a gamestop and ask them to do it. They have the pro equipment needed, and fixed a disc for me before. But it'll depend how bad the scratch is.

I brought it to Gamestop today and they supposedly fixed it for me for 4euro.........Up until this point it had worked but sometimes it froze on loading screens but now it wont even turn on....

The scratches previously were in the outer body of the disc but there is now a massive scratch towards the very center of the disc!!

Thanks for your speedy reply btw:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I brought it to Gamestop today and they supposedly fixed it for me for 4euro.........Up until this point it had worked but sometimes it froze on loading screens but now it wont even turn on....

The scratches previously were in the outer body of the disc but there is now a massive scratch towards the very center of the disc!!

Thanks for your speedy reply btw:)

Oh that's not good..... As far as I know, if the scratch is any deeper than the top layer on the disc, it's screwed. Once the data layer is scratched it's gone. (am open to correction on this)

I remember seeing this thing on Max.tv before, that would sand off the top layer of the disc and replace it, leaving the data untouched and removing scratches. (sorry to be vague but can't for the life of me remember the name....)
    But the only luck I've had with any DIY disc cleaner has been with PS1 discs, not sure how modern discs would hold up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

No chance you can get the game to install even?

If this fails, try and borrow a copy from a pal or rent one and install it. Your scratched copy should be ok for launching the game there after.

Some companies replace the disc for a charge, I've seen it mentioned in the manuals of some of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I had a disc that wouldn't play and wasn't recognised by the xbox. I tried the Toothpaste trick on it and it worked fine for me after that.

Get some toothpaste (must be paste and not gel) and smear it across the entire surface of the disc. Leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse it off using luke warm water. Now dry it off and leave it for another 15 mins to all it to dry completely. Try it again and hopefully it will work. Certainly worked for me and was grand. Defo worth a try before giving up on it altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

djkeogh wrote: »
    I had a disc that wouldn't play and wasn't recognised by the xbox. I tried the Toothpaste trick on it and it worked fine for me after that.

Get some toothpaste (must be paste and not gel) and smear it across the entire surface of the disc. Leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse it off using luke warm water. Now dry it off and leave it for another 15 mins to all it to dry completely. Try it again and hopefully it will work. Certainly worked for me and was grand. Defo worth a try before giving up on it altogether.

What flavour toothpaste was that?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Maybe bring it back to gamestop for them to have another go , i got two fixd in Smyths that were screwed and they are both perfect since.
    If you do get it even booting , get a loan of a copy and save the game to the HD then all you need is the broken disk to load it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭SVI40

I used this crowd some months ago http://www.discrepair.ie/contact-us.html.

Sent the disk in via their freepost service, and they hand delivered it back to me the next day. Disk has been working since.

My experience with them was excellent.

Advertisement