Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Cat 6 cable

Options
  • 27-08-2011 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I bought 60 meters of cat 6 cable to upgrade my house to gigabit ethernet. I have made alot of cat 5 connectors in the past and presumed it would be a similar deal, however I can't get the connectors to work as there is a plastic spine in the middle of the cable which makes the connector not stick into the port.

I have a bag of 'RJ-45 UTP CAT5 modular plugs' - am I using the right ones?

This is the cable I bought

Hope someone can provide some advice

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

Deaddude wrote: »
    Hi all

I bought 60 meters of cat 6 cable to upgrade my house to gigabit ethernet. I have made alot of cat 5 connectors in the past and presumed it would be a similar deal, however I can't get the connectors to work as there is a plastic spine in the middle of the cable which makes the connector not stick into the port.

Cheers

If you mean the cross shaped plastic piece that sits inside the cable along with the four twisted pairs, just cut it back before fitting the plug.

Remember that Gigbit ethernet uses all 4 pairs, not just the orange and green ones, so all 8 wires need to connect correctly to get Gigabit to work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

... I can't get the connectors to work as there is a plastic spine in the middle of the cable which makes the connector not stick into the port.

Can you post a picture? If its just a solid bit of plastic within the cable itself you can cut it but send a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 No1_Monkey

Hi all

Cheers

Deaddude
    Cat6 connectors are quite similar to cat5 except the opening has a bit of a round belly to allow for the thicker cable you could cut the plastic spine out and leave a bit of a gap between plastic sheilding and the rj45 this it will work but you may suffer transmission issues because the poor terminations. I would recommend you get the correct rj45 connectors to have a proper termination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

No1_Monkey wrote: »
    Deaddude
    Cat6 connectors are quite similar to cat5 except the opening has a bit of a round belly to allow for the thicker cable you could cut the plastic spine out and leave a bit of a gap between plastic sheilding and the rj45 this it will work but you may suffer transmission issues because the poor terminations. I would recommend you get the correct rj45 connectors to have a proper termination.
    Think thats the problem alright - have ordered cat 6 connectors from ebay going to see will they do the job. will post pic of them if they do

Advertisement